Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Meets and Runs Info

Hi...

I'm a brand new "newbie", having just joined AMCA about a month ago. I've picked up a ton of good tips from the forum, and loved my first issue of the magazine, which I just received.

I see from the schedule that there are a number of meets, and even a couple of runs scheduled, that I could possibly make, and am keenly interested in, but frankly, I'm more than a little intimidated by the idea of bringing my bike to a run, given the apparent attitude of the AMCA members that anything that is not 100% original OEM is a "fake" Harley.

Here's my dilemma: I'm on a 65 FLH which is admittedly a "fake" by AMCA standards, since I have an aftermarket front fender and rim, due to the previous owner having wrecked it. I also have some other aftermarket parts, due to the economic necessity of making do with some $100 "replica" parts while I save up for the $1000+ OEM original articles.

As much as I'd love to attend a run and ride and rub shoulders with others who love the old bikes and want to bring them back into their glory, I'm not interested in riding or trailering 1000 miles only to be ostracized and laughed out of the run because I have some aftermarket "replica" parts on my bike, or have added a HD part that is a few years newer than what came on the bike stock, but happens to meet my taste in what I want on my ride.

I'm 60 years old, and a lifelong rider, and not interested in being told I'm a "fake" because my ride is not 100% original OEM parts, or because I have an aftermarket "reproduction" paint job, or a HD part that is "wrong" for the year of my bike.

MY question is simple... given the above, would I be welcome at an AMCA event, particularly a ride, or should I stay home???

P.S. ... I'm building this bike for my own enjoyment, but still trying to be "correct" whenever possible. But the real goal is to ride and rub elbows with others who love, ride, and pamper the older iron like I do. Am I in the right place, or not?
    Last edited by JSB55; 06-16-2009, 11:03 AM. Reason: clarification
    Ride it like you can fix it!

Anyone that gives you a hard time about a few repro parts is the one who will be ostracized. There may be a few jerks in the AMCA but overall, this is a group of stand-up people.
    Eric Smith
    AMCA #886

Comment

Ride it like ya stole it. You will be welcome.
      As far as Judging goes there are differences.
      If the bike is unrestored it is expected to have some things replaced. These are commonly called service items. Things like bulbs, chains, sparkplugs, rubber fuel or oil lines, hose clamps, exhaust parts, ETC..
      The judging Handbook states,"6. Accurately reproduced parts count the same as original while judging a restored category. However, in judging an original condition category
      the part must be original.
      Last edited by Chris Haynes; 06-16-2009, 06:56 AM.
      Be sure to visit;
      http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
      Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
      Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

Eric is on the money. IMHO only if and/ or when you have the bike judged would the repop items be a problem. When at a meet or road run most of the members would not even know the difference!!!! Also, how are you going to find the parts you need without the friends and vendors you will meet? Welcome aboard!!!

Comment

Welcome to the club. The guys here are pretty well layed back about what another member does with his bike. Most of us are just like you and enjoy the thrill of riding the old stuff even if that means having some repop parts. At 45mph who can tell the differance?
          ------------
          Steve
          AMCA #7300

Comment

I think that's one of the fine points of this organization, we aren't here to criticize the other guys bike! To the contrary, most everyone here is very willing to help the other guy as much as he can.

I was recently at a meet in Southern California, and I had a particular interest in the knucklheads and panheads in the judging lineup. I noticed that three bikes in a row all had replica rear fenders. This didn't upset me or surprise me, particularly, because as Chris points out, 'accurately reproduced' parts are allowed.
            Sometimes that's all you can find..........

You're in the right place. If you discover you're in the wrong place, then I am too......

Comment

Well,.. come !

Welcome JSB55,

Bring your scoot and have a good time. There are a lot of Good folks in the club. Enjoy the ride and fellowship with other riders who enjoy the Antiques.

Reading thru the posts on the forum and one can get an impression of Elitism, but that is not the case with the majority of members. It is Your machine, do with it as you like.

Entering the Judging Arena with a machine is where the hair splitting can become intense. You don't have to. It is a Very good way to learn about your machine and what it started out like. By joining in with the Judging process, even though you don't enter a machine, a whole lot can be learned by listening and observing. We all have interests and some areas of expertise and this is a great way to expand your knowledge and to share what you know.

Bring your old pet out and have a good time !
              William McClean
              AMCA # 60

Comment

I appreciate all the replies and the welcoming attitude!

I do understand the need for hair-splitting when judging, and would like to get my bikes well enough restored to get them judged someday, but in the meantime, I really just want to get it back on the road and ride it, and coming to some events would be a great way to meet others who do the same. I saw in the mag that there's an event at Death Valley in the fall, and I'm hoping to make it there.
                Ride it like you can fix it!

Comment

I echo all which was spoken. And ! Welcome !! I recently attended a military cross country convoy event. There was only one wla in the convoy. I just had to se it. I asked the fellow who was riding it if it was a 1944. He siad no.. it is a 1942. I then asked him why he had a 1944 sprocket cover and clutch release lever on it. He answered...ya do what you gotta do to keep her runnin ! Since he was running her cross country, he also added an oil cooler, an oil pressure gauge, etc.. The bike was far from original. Had aftermarket grips [which were not made very close to oem ], but all in all, he didn't care about complete original authenticity. I understand that. I myself am building a correct 42wla. I own very incorrect bikes as well. When my automobile fails me, I put in what will work, not what was put in, when it was manufactured. One thing you must accept though....is this....those in the know....cannot help themselves.....when they start picking a machine apart, for correctness. It was instilled into their blood, when they decided to build their first correct machines. None of the picking apart is done in disrepect. It just comes out naturely. They own riders as well and they know they are not correct. So.....take no offence when someone points out an incorrect part. Thank them ! That is another part you don't have to research, when you finally obtain the correct part. Have fun Bro ! You will gain great friends here ! Paps

Comment

I had some group of guys go up to my servicar and say some stuff that was really rude at Oley. They cut down all of the rider type stuff that I chose to put on, even made fun of the color I picked. I overheard their rudeness while I was right next to it in my camper. I wanted to say something like it's my rider and I take it to work, and back and forth to the grocery store. I didn't though, I know it would never ever be able to be judged. I can list all the wrong things. The thing is I enjoy riding it and it looks a little rough. It runs well and it makes me smile so I just let the rudeness pass on by. Most everyone in this club is nice and the ones that aren't may just not have a very good outlook on life. It is a recreational hobby, and some folks get way too serious and it is a shame. The point is that we all want to have fun and share our hobby.

Riding through the White Mountains in New Hampshire your Ohio girl,

Denise

Comment

JSB55, Don't let the notion slow ya down. At our ages you don't have to worry about what people think of you and your life long earned abilities but rather what you think about them. The AMCA is a good crew. Like to meet ya if you ever make it east. Ride safe. Bob L
                      AMCA #3149
                      http://www.thegoodoldmotorcyclepartscompany.com

Comment

Working...
                      X