Long shot -bright yellow chief w/ sidehack

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Long shot -bright yellow chief w/ sidehack

I was leaving the Berkshire Mountains in Mass today headed for the airport in Hartford Ct. on my way to catch a flight home to North Carolina, in Peru, Mass at about 11:00 AM I passed an oncoming 46,47 or so Chief, bright yaller, as we would say here in NC-up there it would be yellow with a side hack, just wondering if it was anyone on here. Didn't even have time to stop in Springfield to see how the new exhibit was coming along at the museum, was last there in November. Normally I would've followed, but had to catch a flight. It was right purdy. Mayhaps I'll see it again at Rhinebeck.
    Pete
    Pete Cole AMCA #14441
    1947 Indian Chief

lookin a bit like this

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/India...1%7C240%3A1308

Comment

Very much so but with two occupants! To far from Maryland though.
      Pete Cole AMCA #14441
      1947 Indian Chief

Comment

long shot,

OK, you got me. I was on route 143 yesterday with my wife, ride our 1947 chief with an 1946 sidecar and we call it ol' yeller around here. we live about 20 miles away from Peru Ma. and travel that road often. we did get 115 mile in before we caught in the rain. Funny thing I got an e-mail this morning from a friend in Rhode Island, telling me a guy from N.C. that saw us out for a sunday ride. It's a small world afterall. ------Jim

Comment

Well Jim, I pay attention to stuff like 47 Indians, cause I have one also! I will be back in the area Thursday, my Mom lives in Hinsdale, and is terminally ill. It really lifted my wife and my spirits to see you and your wife. I know you and your wife were having fun, but know you cheered us up immensly with your actions. Most likely it was the last time my wife will see my Mom alive, and we were pretty sad, all of a sudden over a hill comes a bright yellow flash, and our minds were off our troubles for the moment, we watched in our rearviews as your Indian head jackets vanished in the distance. I will be bringing a bike back with me to go for small rides when the Hospice folks are there as I am driving back up, mebbe we will run into you somewhere. It is a small world.
          Pete
          Pete Cole AMCA #14441
          1947 Indian Chief

Comment

I sold Jim a NOS, yes NOS! Speedo so long ago for that Yellow Chief the price at that time was ONLY $300. Last time I saw the bike correct me Jim if i'm wrong I think it had about 30K miles on it. And that was a few years ago. You are definately someone who rides his motorcycle. John P.

Comment

That is way cool, I have been looking for one for less than the crazy prices I see em going for, for some reason the 47 speedo's are priced insane. I bought my first Chief in the early 1970's cheaper than I see em going for.
              Pete Cole AMCA #14441
              1947 Indian Chief

Comment

Pete, I worked on my 1940 Chief during the last month of my Father's life. There were those times when I would spend all day at the hospital racked with anxiety and worry but when I got home there was always some mindless little job I could do on the Chief that would free my mind for one precious hour or two. That was the only pleasant thing I can remember from that time. We're lucky to have such a great hobby. My thoughts are with you.
                Eric Smith
                AMCA #886

Comment

Thanks Exeric, I lost Daddy 5 years ago, now Mom's going-it is tough. ou are right though, we are fortunate. I'm going to bring my 80 year old uncle over to Rhinebeck if things are still status quo with Mom, as that is only 50 or so miles from there. Mebbe some cheap 47 speedo's will miraculosly appear. If not there's always Davenport.
                  Pete Cole AMCA #14441
                  1947 Indian Chief

Comment

I'm out of work and home most the time so if you have some time please stop in. and I'll give you the tour. we have some great roads to ride around here. as for the deal on the speedo, I bought that from John in 1990, he wanted $350. but only dropped the price when I didn't take the nos box the speedo was in. I found the correct 47 speedo for the bike about 10 years ago and replaced the one I got from John and it has close to 25000 miles and that was nos when installed. so my bike has close to 60,000 mile and most of that is with side car.

Comment

WOW? I dropped the price on something? Must have been a weak moment? Yep, bought this house in 90 and cleaned out everything. Sold my running older restored 440 for $13,000 and my 5 digit true blue 53 Chief for 10 grand. Been fooling with Indians for almost 35 years now. Back in 1975 I bought my first antique bike. A 47 Chief for $450. The guy I got it from had a bike for $3500 I couldn't afford. It was an original unrestored 46 Knuckle with the matching sidecar that came from the factory as a unit. I heard later it went to Harrahs Auto Museum in Vegas. He also had a few skirted Fours for $3500. That was a lot of money for a 21 year old kid working in a factory for $1.60 an hour,

Comment

Working...
                      X