Welbike info?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Welbike info?

There is a military Welbike in our family. It has the Villiers motor, original army green. It is all there. I am trying to determine a value to be fair to the other family members. Any suggestions out there on what a very nice original paint complete bike is worth? Ballpark would be fine. Thanks!

A picture is worth a thousand guesses.

Comment

Price depends on if it's definately a Wellbike and not a Corgi.
      The easiest way to tell the difference is that the Wellbike has a single stem pushbike style handlebar system and the Corgi has two seperate bars, one each side, that go into a cross piece that allows them to fold down.
      As far as I'm aware all Wellbikes had 98cc Excelsior motors and it was only the later Corgis that used Villiers motors. As Wellbikes were a war thing anythings possible so some may have got Villiers motors.
      Good, complete, correct, going Corgis fetch around $2000 here in NZ thats about $1100 to $1200 USD at the current exchange rate. As condition drops off so does the price and bear in mind that tyres are like the proverbial rocking horse manure to find. Most of the ones parked up over here are done so because the tyres are shot.
      If it's a genuine Wellbike it falls into the military collectors realm as well as moyorcycle collectors so accordingly the price goes up because of the increased interest.
      Does this answer your question?
      Peter Thomson, a.k.a. Tommo
      A.M.C.A. # 2777
      Palmerston North, New Zealand.

Comment

And the Corgi was also marketed by Brockhouse as the Indian Papoose. And all the Wellbike info I've ever seen had a Villiers engine built for Excelsior. If it is real it is worth about double a Corgi, way more if you have a Drop Box!
        Robbie
        Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Thanks for the info!! I looked at it when I was in the midwest last week, but forgot my camera at home. It says villiers on the side of the case. It most definitely is original army green. You can tell it has not been run much. I don't think it ever saw much action. I didn't pay much attention to the handlebars, but I recall only one stem. The tires looked to be similar to BMX tread. I will try to get a photo. Thanks again for the input!!

Comment

Working...
          X