V-Twin hand lever problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• V-Twin hand lever problems

I just opened two V-twin 26-051 "Replica Brake Handles" 1941-1964. Proudly marked "Made In USA".
    When I first tried to put one on the handlebars I found that they were using the correct fillister head screws. Only the ones they use are from the earlier model lever which is 7/8" long. The correct screws for these need to be 1 1/16" long. So I replace the screws and mount the lever on the bars. Now I find the slot in the hand lever is only .175 wide. The anchor on the cable is .256. So off to my poor mans milling machine (a drill press) to widen the slot.
    I am sure that V-Twin sells these things by the truckload. Have they no quality control? Don't they check to make sure things fit before they rush them out the door?
    They call it a replica for 1941-1964. Actually there are at least three different levers during this period. I guess this is just a one size fits all for riders as it won't fly on a restoration 1948 or earlier.
    Tedd, Are you listening?
    Be sure to visit;
    http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
    Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
    Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

NO should cover all your ?
    Jeff Bowles
    Arkansas
    Membership # 14023
    1957 Sportster

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Haynes View Post
      I just opened two V-twin 26-051 "Replica Brake Handles" 1941-1964. Proudly marked "Made In USA".
      They call it a replica for 1941-1964.
      Hey Chris
      I guess you just found the difference between
      "replica"(looks similar) and "reproduction"(copy of original)
      Last edited by kval; 05-12-2009, 11:08 PM.
      Kevin Valentine 13
      EX-Chief Judge

Comment

V-twin actually makes a distinction between 'Replica" and "Reproduction"; they consider their "Replica" parts to be of a higher quality than the run-of-the-mill reproduction items.

Comment

OK Chris, Gotta ask, if you knew there were three different levers used 41-64, what did you think you were getting a replica of? I've personally sworn off V-twin stuff after my friends experience the other year with the non hardened XL cam thrust plates. Anyway the real question I have is what is the third type of lever? I know they changed the width of the slot around 49 with the earlier ones having the narrow slot. What's the other change?
          Brian Howard AMCA#5866

Comment

Brian,
            All I wanted was a lever to work on a rider. I wasn't gonna put one of my OEM parts on it. I spend too much time trying to find decent ones at swap meets. It took me less than 5 minutes to make the V-T crap fit. They look good on the bike which is a kind of original looking 1950 Panhead rider.
            Did I ever tell you about the crappy one piece Taiwan Knuck style rear fender? What a hunk of junk. When I did finally get it mounted on the bike there wasn't near enough clearance in the chain relief area for the chainguard to fit in.
            I just can't understand why someone makes crap that isn't right. When I have parts made I pester the maker to death till they do it right. The company who repop the '36 shift levers for me were real glad when I finally approved them.
            Last edited by Chris Haynes; 05-13-2009, 10:12 PM.
            Be sure to visit;

Comment

Your manufacturing from start, a part as it is...... It doesn't take anymore to make it right as it does to make it wrong. Paps

Comment

Originally posted by Paps View Post
                Your manufacturing from start, a part as it is...... It doesn't take anymore to make it right as it does to make it wrong. Paps

How so very true Paps!
                20scout

Comment

funny you brought this up chris. i finaly pulled out my lever from vtwin that had been sitting in the plastic for the last 3 years last week and sure enough, the slot is to narrow like yours.

Comment

The thing that really gets you is; the parts are close to being right. They just don't give it that extra effort to be just right. It's frightening to think how dangerous it's going to be on American roads when China starts sending millions of cars here and dumb, disloyal American's buy them.
                    Eric Smith
                    AMCA #886

Comment

has anyone on this list ever seen Tedd's collection of ALL ORIGINAL American bikes? I last heard over 100 Indians and many early Harleys. Imagine collecting all that great stuff and being picky about what you buy as you foist crap on everyone else. It is my contention that making stuff down to a price rather than up to a standard is the greedy short sighted way to riches . Collectors deserve better and are willing to pay for quality , just check out the prices for original stuff. There are a few who are trying this approach such as Michael Breeding and we should support his and others small scale efforts or quit whining .

Comment

Face it: Tedd built his empire on one-size-fitz-none chopper gewgaws.
                        That was, and still is, THE American motorcycle market of glory.

While others who built aftermarket empires turned their back on the vintage market, he has at least offered convenience if not quality.

As enthusiasts mature in their appreciation for their machines, they soon learn that the best pieces are produced by dedicated cottage industries, not megamart importers.

Now that we have the 'Net, we can find those artists and craftsmen who hold to the higher standards.
                        Catalogs may go the way of newspapers, and aftermarket storefronts the way of the service station, but it is up to us demand quality, and support those who offer it without compromise.

....Cotten
                        Last edited by T. Cotten; 05-14-2009, 01:25 PM.
                        AMCA #776
                        Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Originally posted by exeric View Post
                          The thing that really gets you is; the parts are close to being right. They just don't give it that extra effort to be just right. It's frightening to think how dangerous it's going to be on American roads when China starts sending millions of cars here and dumb, disloyal American's buy them.
                          I repeat. This lever is marked "Made in USA".
                          Be sure to visit;

Comment

Don’t always believe what you read.

I’ve seen with my own eyes, employee’s who’s only job at work was to uncrate products that had “Made in China” stickers on them and they would remove that sticker and place a “Made in USA” sticker back in its place and then pack it into new packaging. That was their job everyday, all day. That was thirty years ago, so imagine what is likely happening in today’s dog eat dog world.

To me, anything other than NOS parts are only considered as a starter kit which I know will require a couple hours of my time. Thats the fun part right?
                            ------------
                            Steve
                            AMCA #7300

Comment

Originally posted by Barry Brown View Post
                              has anyone on this list ever seen Tedd's collection of ALL ORIGINAL American bikes? I last heard over 100 Indians and many early Harleys. Imagine collecting all that great stuff and being picky about what you buy as you foist crap on everyone else. It is my contention that making stuff down to a price rather than up to a standard is the greedy short sighted way to riches . Collectors deserve better and are willing to pay for quality , just check out the prices for original stuff. There are a few who are trying this approach such as Michael Breeding and we should support his and others small scale efforts or quit whining .
                              Barry I stated this in a earleir thread that the demand for quality parts has started a whole new mom and pop industrie. What we need here is a vender slot were they can post what they do and what they produce. I want to give these venders my money not Ted's rice gobblers.
                              AMCA #3149
                              http://www.thegoodoldmotorcyclepartscompany.com

Comment

Working...
                              X