Goulding Sidecar Information

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Goulding Sidecar Information

I have a friend In North Carolina who reciently bought a Goulding Sidecar on e-bay he is looking for any sort of information he has "The Goulding Album" but is looking for more info on identifying the years / models etc.
    he is looking to get it fixed up as the frame has been altered then at some point install it to a tug but would like to know more about it.

Anybody that may be able to help please contact him a the following his name is Bob

704-777-7195 or boltsrightup@carolina.rr.com
    Attached Files
    Chuck
    AMCA Member#1848

Any help out there?

Still looking for anyone who may have some information on Gouldings we believe that it is a 1950's
    Or if you prefer contact me Thankyou!
    Chuck
    AMCA Member#1848

Comment

You have a Goulding "Litecar" chassis. They were built like that from the early '20s until the 1940s. Designed for a bike about the size of a Harley 45 or an Indian Scout, it was actually offered by the Motor Company as the Harley Model "LS" sidecar for 45s, from 1929 to 1940.
      Usually, it got the pointed "dutch shoe" body, but sometimes it was seen with the "Rocket," body, with hemispherical nose.
      It is being reproduced, in-toto, by a man in Poland named "Artur," and it is very good copy. He is also a source for parts and pictures. The man in Poland often advertises on Ebay, in "Ebay Motors > Sidecar."

One Litecar, or Harley LS model, from Poland.

There's a man on the CAIMag forum who is in conversation with one of the few, maybe the only, surviving employee of the Goulding company. The CAIMag poster is trying to preserve more information than was included in The Goulding Album.

\
      Last edited by Sargehere; 03-05-2010, 06:13 AM. Reason: more photos
      Gerry Lyons #607
      http://www.37ul.com/
      http://flatheadownersgroup.com/

Comment

Thanks Sargehere

We both have the Goulding album, but even with the photos in it we have needed some more information about it the frame came with the later body that has the rose pedal style trim on the front....just missing the trim.

Thanks again for the leads
        Chuck
        AMCA Member#1848

Comment

I have a compleat Goulding litecar restored and ready to mount to my 27' Scout Police Special. Looks like he was lucky enough to get the mounting brakets. Cool find!
          20scout

Comment

Originally posted by 20scout View Post
            I have a compleat Goulding litecar restored and ready to mount to my 27' Scout Police Special...
            Shore would like to see photos of that, here on the forum, 20scout!
            Sidecars: "assymetrical tripod motor vehicles," fascinate me. They have since before I found the first one I owned (1974): a Keystone Automobile Club AAA '53M Package Truck, I found chained like a junkyard dog behind a run-down body shop in New Jersey (and paid the astronomical sum of $100 for it); and I'm fascinated by Gouldings, especially.

I think this may be an example of James Goulding's first model sidecar, before the Litecar, about 1912 to '15, sold only in Australia:

"Linoleum" floors, from the very beginning.

That third member underneath, bolted in the middle of the frame like that,
            I believe makes it real, real early; before the "Litecar."

Check out the droop on that body! Really mimimalist; just a bar off the bike's
            frame, a wheel, and a place to sit.

Last edited by Sargehere; 03-07-2010, 12:12 AM.
            Gerry Lyons #607

Comment

Wow those are some great photos Sarge I am also a self proclaimed sidecar nut and yes Gouldings seem to catch my eye also.
              I love em all old or new thanks again for the photos
              Chuck
              AMCA Member#1848

Comment

Snow is still a bit deep around here for me to get any decent pictures. I plan on hooking up the two sometime this spring and will get some pictures then. Untill then about all I can do is sit and wait for the snow to melt.
                20scout

Comment

I have had quite a few Gouldings in fact bought a create load of them in NJ many years ago! I still have a few of the trademark Gouldimg steps and have one which has been on a 47 Knuck sience it came from the HD Dealer ! It is the round nose model, Ive had a fewn with the chrome nose also wish I would have kept one of those !!!

Comment

Originally posted by INLINE4NUT View Post
                    I have had quite a few Gouldings in fact bought a create load of them in NJ many years ago! I still have a few of the trademark Gouldimg steps and have one which has been on a 47 Knuck sience it came from the HD Dealer ! It is the round nose model, Ive had a fewn with the chrome nose also wish I would have kept one of those !!!

Inline4nut,

I am trying to learn anything that I can on them any changes etc could I talk you into posting a couple pictures of the Knuck and Goulding? if you could would you also include a couple shots of the mounts to the bike?
                    Chuck
                    AMCA Member#1848

Comment

Rocket

I've got a surviving chrome nosed rocket althogh I think the frame may have been altered some, but it rides well and looks great on my chief. I was at Rhinebeck last year tooling around and hope to bring it back there this year.

I'd love to get one of those Goulding steps for it, as I don't have a good step in now. Anyone have one they want to part with let me know....

Here's hoping Spring isn't too far off in New England!

If you want pics e-mail me and I will send them...for some reason it won't let me upload them here as it says they're too big even though I've reduced them (I think)

Best
                      Joel

Comment

Goulding "rose petal" Rocket on Ebay right now.

Here's a "rose petal nose" or "propellor nose" very late Goulding Rocket for sale right now one Ebay:
                        http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Gould...item4a9f332b1a

Unfortunately, it's only a Goulding Rocket body on a Harley LE chassis. In very nice shape, tho. Has the 1955-later Harley taillight (Goulding stopped building sidecars in 1956). Says it was in storage since 1973. That's believable, to look at that upholstery. But that Harley package rack on the back has got to go!
                        Last edited by Sargehere; 03-08-2010, 10:42 PM.
                        Gerry Lyons #607

Comment

Yes I have to agree the rack has to go! I have been watching it since it came on just to bad it has the HD frame under the body
                          Chuck
                          AMCA Member#1848

Comment

Originally posted by JDC22 View Post
                            I've got a surviving chrome nosed rocket althogh I think the frame may have been altered some, but it rides well and looks great on my chief. I was at Rhinebeck last year tooling around and hope to bring it back there this year.

I'd love to get one of those Goulding steps for it, as I don't have a good step in now. Anyone have one they want to part with let me know....

Here's hoping Spring isn't too far off in New England!

If you want pics e-mail me and I will send them...for some reason it won't let me upload them here as it says they're too big even though I've reduced them (I think)

Best
                            Joel
                            Hey JDC22,

I pm you thanks!
                            Chuck
                            AMCA Member#1848

Comment

Working...
                            X