stainless

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• stainless

just a question I just bought a stainless steel tool box. I thought stainless was no magnetic but this is not. some of the pick's and various tool are not magnetic ?
    Moose
    aka Glenn

Glenn it all depends on what grade stainless steel is used. If you think for one minute the MC used the very best. Your sadly mistaken. Bob L
    AMCA #3149
    http://www.thegoodoldmotorcyclepartscompany.com

Comment

Some items classified/defined as Stainless Steel will oxidize/rust. Magnetic attraction varies on stainless stuff.

Comment

Most stainless steel products will have a certain percentage of carbon depending on their intended use.
        Ride 'em. Don't hide 'em.
        Dan #6938 FUBO

Comment

thanks all
          Moose
          aka Glenn

Comment

Glenn I got good news for ya. I got into the shop this morning and spotted a stainless tin lying on the shelf. I took a one inch magnet and it stuck right to it. The different between chrome and stainless is easy to see. Bob L
            AMCA #3149
            http://www.thegoodoldmotorcyclepartscompany.com

Comment

Originally posted by motorhead1 View Post
              Most stainless steel products will have a certain percentage of carbon depending on their intended use.
              Exactly !!!!!!! If you own stainless steel knives.....you need plenty of carbon in order for the blade to hold a sharp edge. Most surgical tools are a bit magnetic also.

Comment

OOPS....internal server error caused me to double post.

Comment

Originally posted by motorhead1 View Post
                  Carbon is NOT magnetic, iron and nickle is. The percentage of carbon is what turns iron to steel.

Comment

Originally posted by MGD View Post
                    Carbon is NOT magnetic, iron and nickle is. The percentage of carbon is what turns iron to steel.
                    Iron is magnetic; ferrous and ferrous alloys. ...
                    Bill Gilbert in Oregon

Comment

Originally posted by MGD View Post
                      Please pull the sharp sticks out of my eyes and forgive me. I should have said "certain percentage of carbon steel".
                      Ride 'em. Don't hide 'em.
                      Dan #6938 FUBO

Comment

stainless is a derivative of iron.

Comment

Working...
                        X