No announcement yet.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by PDNYC View Post
    OK so than I guess when they stopped producing Indians in '53, the PD switched right over to red Harleys.
    i know harley tried selling NYPD Indian like bikes which were red, had left hand throttle, and right hand shift. Indian put a stop to it, and Harley didn't sell them any more till around '57-'58.
    my eyes are not good enough to see if that bike has the left throttle, and right shifter. i'm sure someone with better eye sight can let us know. there was also a rumor that indian put together 55 bikes in 1955 to sell NYPD from spare parts, but i heard it was just that a rumor.
    CHIEFJ48
    MEMBER #2786

TO THE WORLD YOU MAY BE ONE PERSON, BUT TO ONE PERSON YOU MAY BE THE WORLD.

LIFE IS NOT MEASURED BY THE NUMBER OF BREATHS WE TAKE, BUT BY THE MOMENTS THAT TAKE OUR BREATH AWAY

Comment

Originally posted by chiefj48 View Post
      my eyes are not good enough to see if that bike has the left throttle, and right shifter. i'm sure someone with better eye sight can let us know.
      The bike is foot shift ... Perry

Comment

i know harley tried selling NYPD Indian like bikes which were red, had left hand throttle, and right hand shift.
        PDNY bought the H-D UMG model for several years. 74" Flathead, Three speed, right hand shift tranny, and a magneto/generator. The only way Indian stopped it was buy lowering their price in the bidding so they would be cheaper than the H-D's.
        Be sure to visit;
        http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
        Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
        Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

great photo chris, thanks!!!
          CHIEFJ48
          MEMBER #2786

LIFE IS NOT MEASURED BY THE NUMBER OF BREATHS WE TAKE, BUT BY THE MOMENTS THAT TAKE OUR BREATH AWAY

Comment

i know harley tried selling NYPD Indian like bikes which were red, had left hand throttle, and right hand shift. Indian put a stop to it, and Harley didn't sell them any more till around '57-'58.
            my eyes are not good enough to see if that bike has the left throttle, and right shifter. i'm sure someone with better eye sight can let us know. there was also a rumor that indian put together 55 bikes in 1955 to sell NYPD from spare parts, but i heard it was just that a rumor.
            That rumor is quoted as fact in Starklite parts catalogue pg24 top left
            50 for NYPD in 1955, 5 more built of which one Bob Stark has in his collection

Comment

Originally posted by Greg H View Post
              That rumor is quoted as fact in Starklite parts catalogue pg24 top left
              50 for NYPD in 1955, 5 more built of which one Bob Stark has in his collection
              yes i have read that, but i also heard Sammy Pierce built the bikes from spare parts, and made the story up. i guess the best person to ask about this would be Robin Markey.
              CHIEFJ48
              MEMBER #2786

Comment

Yes , hard to see how that would have been viable on a cost basis, rather than buy ready to roll H-D`s

Comment

This photo of my grandfather was taken in April of '58, he is on a brand new DUO GLIDE(hence the smile). Base black,no chrome, no tank badges. Cad jubilee horn as well as front fender siren; new for '58, there is also a rear light visible just above the license plate.
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by PDNYC; 05-05-2009, 10:00 AM.

Comment

YOU HAVE SOME GREAT PHOTOS!!! can you post any more??
                    CHIEFJ48
                    MEMBER #2786

Comment

Working...
                    X