"Seen From The Saddle"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Seen From The Saddle"

I would like to obtain scans of Graham Walker's "Seen From The Saddle" magazine articles. These appeared originally in "Motor Cycling" and were republished in "Veteran and Vintage."

I have eleven "Veteran and Vintage" issues which include "Seen From The Saddle." I will scan these in exchange for your scans.
    Jerry Hatfield

Originally posted by Jerry Hatfield View Post
    I would like to obtain scans of Graham Walker's "Seen From The Saddle" magazine articles. These appeared originally in "Motor Cycling" and were republished in "Veteran and Vintage."

I have eleven "Veteran and Vintage" issues which include "Seen From The Saddle." I will scan these in exchange for your scans.
    Do you have info on the dates of the issues of Motor Cycling in which these articles appeared?

AFJ

Comment

During the WWII years, there was little to report on the motorcycling scene. This was especially so for the British weeklies "Motor Cycling" and its rival "The Motor Cycle." So the "Seen From The Saddle" series was motivated in part by the need for a filler, or buffer. When space was available in the skinny wartime issues, a "Seen From The Saddle" article was published in "Motor Cycling." So the articles appeared in a hit or miss fashion, one, two, three, or so, consecutively then an issue -- or a dozens issues might be skipped before the next installment. I learned about the sporadic nature of the series when I visited the library of Mortons Media in England. Mortons has every issue, bound. I tried to gin up enthusiasm at Mortons for republishing the series. I also contaced Graham Walker's son Murray, but Murry feels there's insufficient demand to merit republishing. What makes the series so meaningful and exciting, is explained by the series title: Seen From The Saddle. Graham Walker was a factory team rider for Sunbeam, Norton, and Rudge. He was also a racing team manager. Graham's first-person accounts of the Continental Grans Prix and the Isle of Manx, are packed with information and emotion. He also takes us with him in the factories, or at track side, to listen to the technical talk of engineers. There are parties and toasts, pranks, and bench racing. The series is just plain fantastic. I would try to re-publish this myself if I weren't already up to my ears with other projects.
      Jerry Hatfield

Comment

During the WWII years, there was little to report on the motorcycling scene. This was especially so for the British weeklies "Motor Cycling" and its rival "The Motor Cycle." So the "Seen From The Saddle" series was motivated in part by the need for a filler, or buffer. When space was available in the skinny wartime issues, a "Seen From The Saddle" article was published in "Motor Cycling." So the articles appeared in a hit or miss fashion, one, two, three, or so, consecutively,then an issue -- or a dozens issues might be skipped before the next installment. I learned about the sporadic nature of the series when I visited the library of Mortons Media in England. Mortons has every issue, bound. I tried to gin up enthusiasm at Mortons for republishing the series. I also contaced Graham Walker's son Murray, but Murry feels there's insufficient demand to merit republishing. What makes the series so meaningful and exciting, is explained by the series title: Seen From The Saddle. Graham Walker was a factory team rider for Sunbeam, Norton, and Rudge. He was also a racing team manager. Graham's first-person accounts of the Continental Grans Prix and the Isle of Man, are packed with information and emotion. He also takes us with him in the factories, or at track side, to listen to the technical talk of engineers. There are parties and toasts, pranks, and bench racing. The series is just plain fantastic. I would try to re-publish this myself if I weren't already up to my ears with other projects.
        Jerry Hatfield

Comment

Replied off forum due to difficulty posting here.

AFJ

Comment

Jerry, I have every issue , bound format of "Motorcycling" ex Harrah's , ex Detroit Public library. I also have every issue of Veteran and Vintage" unbound. Let me know if I can help.

Comment

Working...
            X