Titling a pre '70 HD in California

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Titling a pre '70 HD in California

Has anyone titled an antique Harley in California recently? I bought a 37EL from out of state and have a bill of sale and a vin inspection document from Florida. When I went to my local DMV, the inspector signed off on the inspection. I then sent the documents to DMV in Sacramento. Three months later they returned my documents and referred me back to my local DMV office. At the local DMV, I spoke to the same person who signed off on my vin inspection. She confiscated the original inspection report and issued a new report and pre dated it to make it look like the original document. Her new inspection report declared that here is no vin number. She also wrote out an application for an assigned vin, and offered to make an appointment.

Can anyone tell me if it is possible for an out of state pre frame numbered Harley to be titled in California without an assigned vin? If anyone has managed this, could you share your experience here? Thanks,
    Chris

We have titled many here in Sacramento. We have to have the case numbers checked by the CHP by appointment. If it is and original drive train, frame and forks they title it by the case numbers. They say that the reason to put a tag on the frame is because there is no way to I.D. it if it is stolen from you. How long do you think that tag would be on that frame after it left your possession? friends in the L.A. area have done the same as us with similar results. Shouldn't matter if it's out of state. They do special construction (turn signals, etc.etc.0 if custom and built from parts. We've had luck North and South constructing title with just bill of sales. Good luck.
    DrSprocket

Comment

According to the California DMV if your motorcycle was originally manufactured without a frame number it doesn't need one. Find somebody at the DMV that knows what they are talking about. Sometimes these Independent DMV Services guys know the way to go.
      Be sure to visit;
      http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
      Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
      Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

Working...
      X