Demise of Slotted Head Screws

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Demise of Slotted Head Screws

Like many of us, I make trips to the hardware store for standard screws and nuts. Recently, I have noticed that slotted head screws, both round head and flat head, seem to be going away. I needed some 8-32 screws for my generator and the first three hardware stores only had them in phillips. Found some at an old line store, but had to settle for 3/4" long and cut them down. Ditto for square nuts. You can still get this stuff, in full boxes from McMaster-Carr, however.

Look in your Yellow Pages under fasteners.
    Be sure to visit;
    http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
    Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
    Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

Fastenal.com

Comment

Originally posted by 46WL View Post
        Fastenal.com

Been there, done that. The sales person said that they where slotted only when they came they where the slotted/philips. Frustrating!
        20scout

Comment

Try http://www.mcmaster.com/# or http://www1.mscdirect.com/cgi/nnsrhm...ID=41744757512 Paps

Comment

Do you have an Ace near you? Otherwise, McMaster is a good choice for a try. What about NOS-PARTS? Old Dude?

Comment

Screwed by progress

Chalk another one up for progress. Straight slot screws don't drive well with power equipment, and everyone has a cordless drill/driver nowadays.
              Doug.
              Doug McLaughlin #6607
              NorCal, USA

Comment

I had guy working last year that was from Europe (Netherlands!) who could not believe that common fasteners in the construction traded were still Phillips when all the Euro fasteners are Torx!!!
                Robbie
                Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

The slotted screws are usually driven in with the wrong tool. Each slotted screw type varies in width and depth. Not only do these variances apply but many slots in slotted screws have a radius in the bottom of their slot. If the screw driver blade is correct for the slot, and the screw driver is applied on center and parallel to the head, the screw will drive in and out without boogering the slot. What we call flat blade screw drivers today, are not really designed for these screws anymore. I've yet to find a new manufactured flat blade screw driver which actually fits the slotted screws correctly. The old wooden handled screw driver were made correctly. Even Phillips head screws need a certain type screw drive tip. Slotted screws are much easier to clean the slot out for tool holding. Try cleaning out the torx, phillips, allen, etc.. better yet....have your driver spin in one of them and see what happens to the tool holding point. At least with a slotted head, there is always a way to get a stripped slotted one out. It is my personal opinion that changing the design of fasteners was not all for the sake of better engineering. Much of it was to sell more tools. Paps

Comment

i work with a guatemalan who tries once a week to use a screw gun with a straight slotted screw to repair high end antique furniture.you should see that mess
                    rob ronky #10507
                    www.diamondhorsevalley.com

Comment

Yea we seem to always be on the tail of European techology.

Originally posted by Rub View Post
                      I had guy working last year that was from Europe (Netherlands!) who could not believe that common fasteners in the construction traded were still Phillips when all the Euro fasteners are Torx!!!
                      Robbie
                      I remember back in the early days of school they were teaching us metric along side of Standard measurements as well...stating in years to come we'll all be the same across the world. LOL Progress moves slowly , however age comes at us. I would of liked to of flown in outer space too as they said we would when we were growing up. The price is way too high for us normal folks so I guess a few good Vodkas will do the same for now. Merlin in Pa.

Comment

Merlin....Iremeber those days as well. My 8th grade science teacher tried to tell us that by the time we were much older, mans brain would evolve from all the added knowledge coming at it, forcing the skull to grow to fit it. LOL I know a lot of big headed people out there...but their head didn't grow any. LOL Paps

Comment

In response to Rooster--Yes, an Ace franchise was one of the stores I visited. They carry the same generic line as fasteners as everyone else. My Step Dad used to own an Ace. In addition to the standard line of fasteners available from the Ace warehouse, he would also deal directly with the fastener suppliers so he could have more specialized stuff in the store. Hard to find stores anymore that go to that trouble. I stopped in one HWI ranchise (Do-It Center) and the lady there told me square nuts were obsolete! McMaster-Carr is a good choice, as long as you plan ahead and don't need something this minute.

Comment

Working...
                          X