Why Not A US Pioneer Run?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why Not A US Pioneer Run?

In England they hold the Pioneer Run every year for pre-1915 motorcycles. It gets a pretty good turn out and some amazing motorcycles show up for the organized tour.

So why can't we have something like that here in the US?

Don't know if I'd draw the line at pre-1915, but what about if we do for for motorcycles 75, 80 or 85 years old?

75 years old would be 1934 this year,
    80 years old would be 1929 this year,
    85 years old would be 1924 this year.

Thoughts and ideas?

What would be involved and where could we do this that makes sense?

We at American Iron Magazine and www.caimag.com might be willing to lead the effort for something like this.
    Buzz Kanter
    Classic-Harley.Info Classic Harley History
    [Classic American Iron Forum Classic Harley Forum
    [American Iron Magazine Harley Magazine

Count me in! There is already a similar run called the Pewter Run ran by the United States Classic Racing Association in New Hampshire. Web page is .. http://pewterrun.com/wst_page4.html
    I have not attended mainly because it is Labor day weekend and everyone know what happens then. I think it's been going on about 5 years. They have different milages for the different classes by year.
    Louie
    FaceBook >>>Modern Antique Cycle
    Blog Site >>> http://louiemcman.blogspot.com/
    YouTube >>> LouieMCman

Comment

Hello,
      I think a total loss oiling sytem run would
      be a good one
      Jim

Comment

pre-15 runs

They've been having pre-15 m/c runs out here in Cal for many, many years. Well attended and not for the faint of heart.
        DrSprocket

Comment

I like the idea of a pre 1915 run that would stand the test of time and not move up with the years. London to Brighton in England is world famous. How about this.... London, Minnesota to New Brighton, Minnesota. Distance 126 miles. Very doable with old bikes. Also New Brighton is literally a couple of miles from Minneapolis for convenience of facilities etc. Centrally located in America.......etc. etc.. HHMMMMMM
          Ross

Comment

Cool idea !

Ross, how are the roads between London and New Brighton ?

I hear tell that there are only 2 seasons in Minnesota.

Winter and Road Repair
            William McClean
            AMCA # 60

Comment

Being from Manitoba, there is a lot of truth to that. However the one thing America does well is build good roads. I'm always amazed how good Minnesota roads are and how lousy ours are and we share similar climates. If this run ever happened I would be there with my 13 Indian.
              Ross

Comment

Originally posted by Buzz Kanter View Post
                In England they hold the Pioneer Run every year for pre-1915 motorcycles. It gets a pretty good turn out and some amazing motorcycles show up for the organized tour.

So why can't we have something like that here in the US?

Don't know if I'd draw the line at pre-1915, but what about if we do for for motorcycles 75, 80 or 85 years old?

75 years old would be 1934 this year,
                80 years old would be 1929 this year,
                85 years old would be 1924 this year.

Thoughts and ideas?
                The London-to-Brighton Run in England has been held every year since 1930 (except for WWII) and is about 58 miles in length. About 450 bikes (1914 or earlier) enter and I believe there is a waiting list for entries.

There are many other old bike runs in England and a notable one is the Banbury Run for bikes 1930 or older. It too has a very large entry of around 500 bikes and a number of classes, speed schedules, route variations and such so as not to hamper (too much) the very early and low-powered bikes.

When I started attending the AMCA National Road Runs in 1999, I entered my oldest bike, a 1927 250cc handshift bike with acetylene lighting. While completing the first day's run of about 125 miles in satisfactory fashion, I found that the course was obviously laid out with the larger, newer bikes, the 30s, 40s, 50s and 60s 45 inch and bigger engined bikes in mind. While the area had lots of low-traffic roads which would have been fine on a bike such as mine with a top speed on the level of 45 mph, the route ran on state highway 50 - 55 mph 2 lane roads which while nice and smooth, contained too much traffic for a bike, which on a steep hill (the Run was in the Finger Lakes) might be down to 10 - 15 mph.
                The remaining two days of running were done with the "back-up" 30.50 cu in. bike.

I realize that most entrants to these National Runs bring big, hefty old bikes which are fine for keeping up with 45-55 mph traffic. If entrants don't, they tend to show up with newer (less than 35 year-old) bikes - the old ones being "under restoration".

I would welcome an "old bike" run with routes and classes for 1945 or older bikes on roads suitable (in terms of length, traffic density, gradient, etc.) for the various ages of bikes eligible for entry. And I would be willing to help organize such a run, having done layout work of this sort on a number of occasions over the years.

AFJ

Comment

Originally posted by RichO View Post
                  They've been having pre-15 m/c runs out here in Cal for many, many years. Well attended and not for the faint of heart.
                  Looks like there's fun to be had on that run!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JAtJFTp7FPw
                  Cory Othen
                  Membership#10953

Comment

Old bikes

Whoa, back up. Lenny Miller, myself, Mike Vils, and many more have been riding tons of national road runs (some since 1987) astride 1926 JD's total loss oil, clinchers, no front brake, 1930 101 Scouts, 1928 total loss, Super X's clinchers, total loss, 1913/14 Excelsior total loss, clinchers, single speed, NO BRAKES to speak of , and more over the Cailfornia Sierra's, Washington Cascade's, and more. Riders have ever since these machines were new. Oh, ye faint of heart. Some just take longer then others as they always have. Ride on! P.S. I've also ridden on several road runs along side of Lane Plotner mounted on his chrome yellow 1914 cyclone road model. Once up Mt. Rainer in Washington. So take heart ye of the under powered, under braked, slow and feebled motorcycle. Point it down the road and let her go.
                    DrSprocket

Comment

Several of the Rocky Mtn. Chapter D-J runs have been held in areas with enormous elevation changes and at very high altitudes. There have been quite a few early machines attend these rides, '15 Indian, '24 Indian w/sidecar, 101s, on and on. The point being that these bikes were ridden 90 plus mile days over passes higher than 10,000 ft! They do it and do it well. And all the riders have a great time. Don't be afraid to ride the old iron.
                      Robbie
                      Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Rub

AMEN! AMEN! (Is that 10 letters?)
                        DrSprocket

Comment

London to New Brighton MN info.....
                          www.antiquecarrun.org

Comment

Originally posted by Ross View Post
                            If this run ever happened I would be there with my 13 Indian.
                            Thanks to JU's post it looks like maybe you can give it a go....... looks like a great run. Oh, and some of those machines with four wheels are pretty cool too!

Cory Othen
                            Membership#10953

Comment

Well said Richard !, I have been passed by a couple of those guys. Been passed by both Johnny Eagles and Lane Plotner on a 12 HD and a 13 Ind, both going over mountain passes and they did 100 mile plus days like it was nothing. Always more exciting to see machines from the teens and twenties on a run and a real thrill to see one roar by you at speed :-)

Comment

Working...
                              X