Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Woman Pioneer in motorcycling

Hi List,

I was hoping someone could help me remember a story I read a few years back about a courageous young woman who left the U.S. (I think it was Detroit) on a trip to South America.

I was pretty sure I read the story in the AMCA magazine but looking through my past issues I could not find it.

Some highlights of the story as best I remember: I think the trip took place right before WWII, I recall she had some trouble in Cuba, and eventually ran out of road in central or South America. I remember her writing about a smelly boat ride. She was riding a Harley.

Apparently she met the love of her life on the trip and they planned to marry but he was wisked away to the army or a prison camp after the start of the War. She never heard from him again (very sad story).

I think she never married.

It was a really neat story and I guess I don't have enough details to get a Google hit on it. If anyone recalls this account I would really appreciate it.

Joe

It's been almost three years and I finally figured it out. It was actually two women Eva DuVall and Rosella North. The trip took place in 1941, they rode a Knucklehead to Venezuela and back. I still don't know where I first read the story but it is reprinted in a book "Women in the Wind...." By Jasmine Bluecreek Clark.

Comment

I missed your first post about this. (3 yrs ago) Just read an excerpt online from the book "Women in the Wind" about Miss DuVall & Miss North. Very good find. Thank you!

I've been riding the same '72 FLH for 29 years. I can appreciate the women riders that came before me.

Comment

Looks like I missed this post too. Sounds like a great story Joe. I'm gonna have to track it down!
        Cory Othen
        Membership#10953

Comment

Working...
        X