Ride With Us at AMA Hall of Fame Parade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ride With Us at AMA Hall of Fame Parade

The good people at the AMA Hall of Fame have invited me to ride one of my classic motorcycles in a special parade to and around the Mid-Ohio race track near Lexington, Ohio the weekend of July 24-26. And they asked me to help spread the word to other enthusiasts who are interesting in bringing and riding your old bikes with us.

Here's the deal. The AMA is celebrating its 85th Anniversary this year and the AMA’s Motorcycle Hall of Fame Museum has planned for a special ride - at least one from every year the Association has been in existence - for a special parade at the 2009 AMA Vintage Motorcycle Days.

There are plenty of newer bikes to chose from but they are looking for a solid turn out of the older iron and that's where we can help by bringing our old motorcycles and helping spread the word to others who can also join in the fun on this special parade.

The folks at the AMA made a "dream list" of bikes they would like but they are open to others not on the list, so please feel free to offer whatever you have that you feel could be a good addition. I am planning on attending the event and riding in the parade with my original 1924 Harley JDCA - which means I need to get it running right after letting it sit for too many years.

The good news is that all entrants will be provided two weekend passes available at will call.

A parade of the machines is planned for Saturday, July 25, around lunch time. Machines will need to line up at a location about 5 miles from the track and ride to the event at Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course. That means all the machines must be in good running condition, safe and roadworthy.

Each motorcycle will be photographed for a special feature on the AMA and Motorcycle Hall of Fame Museum websites. One photo will include the owner(s). A copy of these photos will be provided to each owner but AMA will retain non-exclusive rights to use each photo. You can submit more than one bike but must supply a rider for each motorcycle they accept for the event. AMA staff reserves the right to select from among entered machines for the machine most appropriate, best condition, etc.

If you're still interested in being part of this historic event you should visit the AMA web site - click Here - and send them the info they ask for, and tell them Buzz Kanter sent ya!
    Buzz Kanter
    Classic-Harley.Info Classic Harley History
    [Classic American Iron Forum Classic Harley Forum
    [American Iron Magazine Harley Magazine

Is the lack of posted response because no one here is interested, or am I missing something?

I feel the AMA could be a great organization for us to promote the sport of antique motorcycles and our club. And this event could be a lot of fun too!

If I can get my 1924 Harley sorted out and running well I will be riding this bike in the AMA 85th anniversary event.
    Buzz Kanter

Comment

buzz not everyone can attend a swap meet in wauseon and a parade the next week. to many bills to pay or miles to travel
      rob ronky #10507
      www.diamondhorsevalley.com

Comment

AMA

Hey Buzz,

Since you asked-here go's! I'm not a fan of the AMA, far as I could see they were just another money making organization and did nothing for me/my rights or what ever. Similarly like the Red Cross, yes they can do good, but pilfur the $ to who knows where. Sadly, now some of those same folks are out of the AMA and now involved in the AMCA and the foundation!
        AMA, screwed up the road racing series,plus others, and recently dropped the ball on the selling of motorcycles to the youth of America. Never mind what happened back when the AMCA and the AMA had shared space in Ohio, and (tossed?) out the AMCA for what ever reason(s). Politic's seems to follow, and I'm on the outside, I could just imagine if I were on the inside!
        So, in other words, not a fan, and won't go out of my way to accommodate them-sorry-thats how I feel/always felt. I'm sure I do not have all the facts, and not pointing fingers, just how I see it! Maybe others feel the same way, hense no response's? And yes, I "was" a member for years--BPK!!!!

Comment

http://www.ahrma.org/

I wonder if this has anything to do with it. Click the link and read the AMA/AHRMA story. Just happened to come across this story while surfing. I too used to be a member of AMA for many years.

I attended the first 10 years of AMA swap meets at different locations through the years until it finally ended up at Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course. I think the first year there couldn't have been more than a couple of hundred people attending. Through the years it grew and grew and really became an excellent destination. I got to hear a 1960's Honda 6 cylinder GP250 run at Mid-Ohio and that alone was worth traveling through Chicago freeways at 4:00am. Plus old Harley's and Indian's and MV Augusta's and such. I met some good people. The swap meet was way cool and you could ride your motorcycle anyplace on the gorunds of the facility. I would always make a trip to the AMA museum and check it out too. That all changed and I stopped going around 2001. The motels started gouging, traffic got worse, crowds and vendors got too big and it just wasn't fun anymore. Key word "FUN".

Things change and I understand that and I have realized that the older I get the harder it is
          to accept the changes. It's just me. That's why I like Davenport so much. It really hasn't changed that much. Let's hope it doesn't. The club that puts on the Davenpot show has done an outstanding job through the years.

A word about the AMA musuem. Great facility and they have a very nice collection of old magazines in their archives. I received great cooperation from them when I was doing my research on Perry mack and would like to thank Mark Maderski for all his help. I don't know what their policy is now but it would be worth you time to check out their archives if your doing research on early motorcycles.

Dick

Comment

http://www.ahrma.org/

I wonder if this has anything to do with it. Click the link and read the AMA/AHRMA story. Just happened to come across this story while surfing. I too used to be a member of AMA for many years.

I attended the first 10 years of AMA swap meets at different locations through the years until it finally ended up at Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course. I think the first year there couldn't have been more than a couple of hundred people attending. Through the years it grew and grew and really became an excellent destination. I got to hear a 1960's Honda 6 cylinder GP250 run at Mid-Ohio and that alone was worth traveling through Chicago freeways at 4:00am. Plus old Harley's and Indian's and MV Augusta's and such. I met some good people. The swap meet was way cool and you could ride your motorcycle anyplace on the gorunds of the facility. I would always make a trip to the AMA museum and check it out too. That all changed and I stopped going around 2001. The motels started gouging, traffic got worse, crowds and vendors got too big and it just wasn't fun anymore. Key word "FUN".

Things change and I understand that and I have realized that the older I get the harder it is
            to accept the changes. It's just me. That's why I like Davenport so much. It really hasn't changed that much. Let's hope it doesn't. The club that puts on the Davenpot show has done an outstanding job through the years.

A word about the AMA musuem. Great facility and they have a very nice collection of old magazines in their archives. I received great cooperation from them when I was doing my research on Perry mack and would like to thank Mark Maderski for all his help. I don't know what their policy is now but it would be worth you time to check out their archives if your doing research on early motorcycles.

Dick

Comment

I quit the AMA about 10 years ago. I love motorcycles and support motorcyclist rights but I also love the beauty and sanctity of the natural world without dirt bikes and ATV's plowing through it. The AMA seemed bound and determined to lobby for off-road riders to go anywhere and that's when I could no longer support them. Also, I didn't like the fiasco between the AMA and AMCA and the way our club got short shafted. The AMA has a long and glorious racing heritage but their politics are almost infamous.
              Eric Smith
              AMCA #886

Comment

AMA

I won't go into all the details here but I to was an AMA member. They used to put on an event out here in Sonoma called the AMA Vintage Days West. They pulled out after a few years. They would fly in from out of town, never ask support from local AMCA members who always wanted to help, and then when they were up against it, ask us to pull their tas out of the fire and never say thanks. Dave edwards w/Cycle world put on a show and a ride there that that really over shadowed their feeble effort. maybe thats why the fled back to Ohio. Didn't have to be that way. It's always been about them, my way or the highway.
                DrSprocket

Comment

Doesn't sound like much support here for the AMA. At least no one who has posted here to that effect.

Me - I'll do whatever I can to support motorcycles and motorcycling - especially for the older bikes.

Can't say I have been a huge fan of some of the moves the AMA has made, but then again, the same can be said about most large organizations with or without a motorcycle theme to them.
                  Buzz Kanter

Comment

Ride With Us at AMA Hall of Fame Parade

The AMA is asking in the list of requested motorcycles for the ride a "1943 Indian Four". Was there any?
                    Ed Glasgow
                    # 2053
                    http://www.edsindianbolts.com/

Comment

What does that tell you about them?

Comment

My friend Charlie Carter had two 1942 Indian 4's and 42's are rare. It's possible that Indian could have put a 4 together in '43 but not likely. You had to prove to the governmnet, that you had an extraordinary need for a motorcycle during the war. Also, of the very few civilian motorcycles built during the war, I think the Chief was the only model you could get. If there was a 1943 four out there, I would imagine it would be very well known by our club members.

Good comment Barry.
                        Eric Smith
                        AMCA #886

Comment

They also ask for a '47 Hummer (never existed, the Hummer didn't come out until '55, the 125 S was released as a '48 model), a 50th anniversary '54 Sportster (HUH?), a '44 WLA (would have been a 42WLA in late trim) , a '45 Triumph TRW, and others of questionable existence! Oh yeah, the '67 XR750! H-d could have kept their title with that one!
                          Robbie
                          Last edited by Rubone; 04-13-2009, 09:17 AM.
                          Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Working...
                          X