Putt Mossman Motorcycle Stuntman Extrordinaire

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Putt Mossman Motorcycle Stuntman Extrordinaire

Just wondering why no one has taken up the challenge to document this incredible man's life.
    What brings this to mind is the cool little midget race car I just purchased. It has a methanol fueled 8/80 JAP engine ( the same as in many Brough Superior record breakers) and 4 wd! Called a Skirrow and one of only a handfull made ( 17 according to a UK expert). Apparently Putt and his travelling motorcycle rodeo used a few of these. They or an earlier car called a Gnat are depicted here in this poster. Year ago there was a pretty good story about Putt's exploits in an American cycle magazine. I'll dig it out if anyone is interested .

HERE'S THE Skirrow

Comment

and the engine

Comment

Awesome! Very cool machine, Barry. Are those individual magnetos that supply spark to the plugs?

Comment

Yes, this was just about the ultimate expression of the JAP twin. twin carbs with twin float bowls and twin magnetos. rated at 80hp on methanol. The interesting thing about this engine is that it has magnesium crankcases. Chances are these were cast post war but I am not 100% sure of that. In 1939 Brough Superior Brokkland lap record was set by Noel Pope using a new 8/80 engine. Maybe this engine used magnesium cases. post war JAP made the iron barrelled and a similar engine with large aluminum finning on barrels and heads, these were supplied mainly to Cooper formula 3 race cars. Stirling Moss started his carreer in a formula 3. World champion Jack Brabham started his career in a Skirrow in Australia circa 1936 maybe one that putt mossman left there but that is just one of the many mysteries I am trying to solve.

Comment

Very interesting. Sorry about my ignorance, I've not seen much of anything like this; actually never reeally looked.
            And now the 64-thousand dollar question--- does this machine run? It looks like it must. I imagine the sound it makes sends shivers up the spine.......!
            And how is the power delivered to the ground? Is it front-wheel drive?

Comment

The president of out local non AMCA affliated antique motorcycle club (Rolling Wheels) has Putt's 1938 Indian 4 and also some of his memoriabilia. Jeff got the bike restored but the guy he got it from said that there still was a ladder on the rear rack when he got it.

Barry it almost sounds like you are the guy to write his story.

Jerry

Comment

Yes, my heart was broken at Davenport 10 years or so ago when I saw one of Putt's fours for sale and my eternal cash flow negativity! I have to take the JAP engine apart as it was last run on Casrtol "R" , "bean oil" to the cognoscenti! The real cool thing about the car besides the killer mill is that it has two clutches to facilitate chain driven four wheel drive! Skirrow was a speedway bike racer who lost a hand so built these cars and raced one himself steering with a hook! I am going to get it running asap as there are a few meets I would like to take it to, it fits in the back of my van!

Comment

here is Putt on one of his earlier fours

Comment

I have a video of Putt pitching horseshoes on the Johnny Carson tonite show

Comment

Seriously awesome thread Barry! I would certainly be interested in reading the magazine story! I'm betting that little racer of yours will be a force to be reckoned with when ya get it tuned up! Very cool stuff!!!
                      Cory Othen
                      Membership#10953

Comment

JAP Racer/Putt Mossman

Wow, cool racer! I'd like to see and hear it make a couple of hot-laps! I've certainly heard of Putt over the years, but the article you posted makes it obvious that there was much more to him than I'd ever heard. I'd sure like to hear more about this remarkable guy, keep it comming.
                        Doug.
                        Doug McLaughlin #6607
                        NorCal, USA

Comment

I have a few Putt Mossman items. A few flyers and a trophy awarded to Putt and Grace Conrad by the Charity Newsies Motorcycle Races, Columbus, OH 1947. I also have Graces locket with photos of her and Putt doing various stunts.
                          Be sure to visit;
                          http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
                          Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
                          Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

cool trophy! I like this stunt

Comment

he did this on both sides of the bike

Comment

Working...
                              X