Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Board track movie

From another board I found,

Found this in the University of Washington photo archives. The info. on the film says:
    " Motorcycle race at the Tacoma Speedway, a wooden board track, on August 15, 1915 in Tacoma, Washington. Erle 'Red' Armstrong, riding an Indian motorcycle, crosses the finish line and is greeted by crew and fans standing at trackside."

http://content.lib.washington.edu/cg...ilename=12.mov
    Be sure to visit;
    http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
    Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
    Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Chris.......Thanks for posting this. I know other boardtrack junkies will love it. That is if they can get the link to open. It won't load for me.... I see that Otto Walker and Don Johns were in this race as well. Great stuff! I'll try later to see if I can view the film....

Here's the write up.......

http://content.lib.washington.edu/cd...ISOBOX=1&REC=1
    Cory Othen
    Membership#10953

Comment

Got it to work! Very cool! Ya just gotta be patient! Thanks again Chris!!!
      Cory Othen
      Membership#10953

Comment

Do you think that one guy greeting the rider is Cannonball Baker?

Tall, lighter colored, tweed coat and hat. Some kind of round "gold" medallion on his left lapel.

Comment

correction - light colored coveralls, not a tweed coat...

Comment

I was leaning toward your first observation Dave. I did a lot of starting and pausing of that movie to get a better look at the faces. Where's Mr. Hatfield when ya need him? Hey, I bet Barry knows! How about Otto Walker lighting a smoke astride his Harley? I'm still very impressed with that film. I just wish it was longer.......

Here's a couple shots of Cannonball.............

Cory Othen
            Membership#10953

Comment

I think my favorite part of that movie was towards the end, when the rider still wearing his helmet and goggles came into view sporting a bowtie.

How come the HD mothership does not offer a bowtie in their mucho thicko accessories catalog? I think they're missing an opportunity here.

I wonder if Willie G has a chrome bowtie on the drawing board??

Rob
              Regards,
              Rob Sigond
              AMCA # 1811

Comment

Originally posted by Snakeoil View Post
                How come the HD mothership does not offer a bowtie in their mucho thicko accessories catalog? I think they're missing an opportunity here.Rob
                Rob,
                They already had them. I guess you missed it.
                Be sure to visit;
                http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
                Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
                Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

Now that's funny! I guess I would have never guessed that they sold HD bowties back in the day. Supposed that makes the modern HD brand skivvies not that strange now.

regards,
                  Rob
                  Regards,
                  Rob Sigond
                  AMCA # 1811

Comment

A couple of shots of that guy in the coveralls, (back right)

Towers over the other men in the film ( I believe Baker was 6'4" - average height at that time was probably ? 5'10" ?

I dunno.... just thought it was interesting, always thought he was a real "American Original"

Comment

Dave, that was the fella I was referring to as well. I tried to take a pic of the film like you did , but can't figure out how to turn off the flash on the new digital, thus horrible pics! Good eye anyway, I believe your probably correct. He was indeed quite the amazing individual!
                      Cory Othen
                      Membership#10953

Comment

Unknown bardtrack racing movie

Chris, what a great find. I truly enjoyed this movie and its details (like the bow tie). As beeing a former roadracer (classic sidecar racing) I was not too impressed of the finnish line safety tough. If you look closely in the middle of the movie you will see there is at least one bike passing right behind the "congratulating" crowd at high speed, its so fast its just like a shadow passing by. Obviously this is a guy beeing more than a round behind hurling to get at least a decent finnishing time.
                        Oh boy!!, imagine if someone just took one step behind at that point!

If you shold stumble across any more movies, PLEASE share!

Sverre
                        Norway
                        And then there is the idea that we are here on earth to get a certain amount of things done before we die.
                        This is a great theory.
                        If it is true, I am so far behind that I will never die...

AMCA-3489

Comment

Cannonball Baker

The bike that Cannonball Baker is sitting on in the picture posted earlier, looks to be powered by his experimental rotary valve engine.
                          Doug.
                          Doug McLaughlin #6607
                          NorCal, USA

Comment

Originally posted by Dave R View Post
                            A couple of shots of that guy in the coveralls, (back right)

Towers over the other men in the film ( I believe Baker was 6'4" - average height at that time was probably ? 5'10" ?

I dunno.... just thought it was interesting, always thought he was a real "American Original"

Dave you were bang on in identifying Cannonball! I was looking through Steven Wright's American Racer last night and on pg 104 there is a picture of Baker filling up 'Red's' fuel tank at that very race!
                            Cory Othen
                            Membership#10953

Comment

Working...
                            X