which pedal is this?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• which pedal is this?

would someone please identify this pedal for me. i know one thing for sure, it's seen alot of starts! thanks- Cole
    Attached Files

Appears to be Harley-Davidson 1916 thru 1929 J/JD, except for the double rubbers. ...bill
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/harley...85415/pic/list
    Bill Gilbert in Oregon

Comment

Bill,
      Does your 23JDCA only have three digits? I have a factory photo of one with three digits followed by an X.
      Be sure to visit;
      http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
      Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
      Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Haynes View Post
        Bill,
        Does your 23JDCA only have three digits? I have a factory photo of one with three digits followed by an X.
        Yes, my 808 is less than 1000 so is supposed to be 'special applications' according to some. It came to me with a hub on the output shaft for a propeller. The seller says his dad was going to put it on an ice boat. Your X suffix might support the 'special applications' rumor. eXperimental? ...bill
        Bill Gilbert in Oregon

Comment

back to the pedal-

what gives with the double rubbers. I know I have seen them before, but ON WHAT!!!! someone out there has to know. thanks for the look. (];-/>
          Last edited by rustynuts; 03-07-2009, 10:33 PM.

Comment

rubbers

They just took the original pedal apart and cut the long rubbers in two, rounded the ends and reassembled for that old time custom flair. Come on people.
            DrSprocket

Comment

You nailed it Rich.
              Eric Smith
              AMCA #886

Comment

Not so fast "people"? there's seems like alot more to it than that!!! the rubber shafts (the steel parts) with the 5/15" nuts on each end, have a machined groove around them in the middle. and the cross hatching on the "rubbers", looks like carved wood, it's old as snot. the photo doesn't do justice. i wouldn't think they had that much time on their hands to screw around with a kicker pedal. unless they were in prison, or in the army. or is i think it's factory. I'll go with Oregon Bill's '16-'29J, maybe even earlier, unless someone else can tell me different and can be specific...

it's seen many, many, many starts... thanks, Cole
                Last edited by rustynuts; 03-09-2009, 06:11 AM.

Comment

The starter axel and end plates look like H-D. The end plates look like early H-D as the later end plates have a shorter foot retaining feature. The rubber blocks do not look like H-D. From what I have seen, H-D pedal blocks were always straight flutes and not a diamond pattern. H-D, in 1916 used a single wider pedal block. Excelsior and Henderson used a single round pedal block. Indian used a single pedal block until the late 20's and then went to a conventional bicycle pedal like H-D, but never one like is pictured. It's possible that some aftermarket company made that pedal which would give it a "designed" look but I have never seen such a pedal offered by H-D, Indian, or Excelsior. However, I'm going to say that it's possible they did make such a pedal so when someone comes up with conclusive evidence, I won't look like an idiot.
                  Eric Smith
                  AMCA #886

Comment

after market or OEM?

Eric- I understand the foot retaining feature. they are larger on these. it's definitely unique. early, early after market? could it be, WW1 issue. I'm about to give up.

Comment

pedal

Jeez Louise! It could be all or part of a period bicycle pedal for all it matters. I'm going now to look up anal in the dictionary.
                      DrSprocket

Comment

Early only means 1916 and later. H-D's were not kick start prior to 1916 and as I said, 1916 was a single block starter pedal. Chris Haynes could tell us when H-D changed the end plates to the more modern profile. Personally, I would look for some pedal blocks that that more represented the H-D standard, find a funky old end cover and put it together as an un-restored original early starter pedal. Those things are worth a bundle on ebay.
                        Eric Smith
                        AMCA #886

Comment

There would be no need for a four piece rubber pivot point unless the pedal was used barefoot. Just my 2 cents. Paps

Comment

I think we could do without the sarcasm. This whole hobby is about details and part or learning about old motorcycles is showing some patience and knowledge. I would like to think that I can always come here and get a civil answer to a question.
                            Eric Smith
                            AMCA #886

Comment

Originally posted by exeric View Post
                              I think we could do without the sarcasm. This whole hobby is about details and part or learning about old motorcycles is showing some patience and knowledge. I would like to think that I can always come here and get a civil answer to a question.
                              Oh? Same as I can come here, introduce myself and get a 'Welcome'?

Comment

Working...
                              X