Family heirlooms hung with care...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Family heirlooms hung with care...

Last edited by badger34; 11-21-2021, 05:39 PM.

Originally posted by badger34 View Post
    Does anyone have any additional information on the "Team Award" medal?

For what is is worth this appears to be a marriage. Using the medal behind and attaching a 11768-30 Wing Pin to the front of it.
    Be sure to visit;
    http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
    Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
    Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

Excellent display Dave. Some (cycle-nut)descendant of yours is really

going to cherish that one day. If you haven't already, I'd put a hand-written

note on the back. Wish I'd had something like that.

Dave

Comment

Very Nice Collection !! Now.....who do you leave it too ? That is the toughest question I ask myself for some relics I possess. Paps

Comment

Beautiful collection! You can see how active Joe Dobner was in the club and various activities from these badges and awards. Boy, he could have told us good stories!

MMC would be Milwaukee Motorcycle Club, right?

Seems to me that teams were usally sponsored by a dealer, but they might have been a club team too. But since the MMC was closely affiliated with Knuth's shop, it could have amounted to the same thing. It's possible that H-D employees fielded a team, but I've never heard of that. They did have a bowling team c1918.

The Badger Derby was covered in detail in the motorcycle mags of the day including H-D's Enthusiast. Do you have those issues?
          Herbert Wagner
          AMCA 4634
          =======
          The TRUE beginnings of the Harley-Davidson Motor Co.

Comment

Dave,
            I would be happy to look through my "Enthusiasts" for you and copy anything you like. If you can tell me what years and events you are looking for. Also if it appears in the club section of "Motorcyclist".
            Robbie
            Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

A couple years ago I spoted an unbeliveable listing on eBay. A guy in Ohio had inherrited the complete collection of Fobs, Pins, ETC from the owner of Borer Cycle Agency In LaCrosse. Everything you can imagine from the teens through the fourties. He sold it all in one lump sale. As I recall it did not fetch a lot of money. Some people just don't appreciate what they have.
              Be sure to visit;
              http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
              Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
              Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

I spent some time in Bill Borer's shop when I was a kid. My dad was the manager of the Goodyear tire store in LaCrosse. I would hang around the tire store in the summer, cleaning up and painting used tires. (Tire black thinned with gasoline) When Bill would order motorcycle tires, my Dad would let me deliver them, rolling them down the sidewalk to the motorcycle shop 6 blocks away or so. I have an image burned into my brain, of the row of springer bikes on the step up display to the left as you walked in the door. Bill was a nice guy, helped me with parts and advice for my neighborhood lawn mower repair. Jerry Evans of EauClaire bought the majority of Bill's inventory. I talked to his wife several yrs after Bill had passed and she told me to come over and get some stuff in the basement. She said there was a couple of old motors and many small boxes of parts. I never did get there to pick them up.
                Kyle Oanes AMCA # 3046

Comment

medal

Dave, I have that same medal only with a different inscription. I also have the seperate wing pin by it's self. It was awarded for first place in the 45" event in 3-7-37 to "Spider" Hawtrey who was a founding member of our AMCA Fort Sutter Chapter here in Sacramento, CA. on an Indian scout. Probally a hillclimb event held at Sloughhouse (outside Sac.)sponsored by Murray H.D. in Sacramento and also a member of the original Fort Sutter AMA chartered club from 1932 to 1972 along with "Spider". Stock medal issued from HD for dealer sponsored events. Engraved locally as needed. Rich
                  DrSprocket

Comment

I also spoke with Bill Borer's wife. She let me copy some old letters from the 1930s. From them I could determine an early shipping date for the first 1936 61 OHV model. That information in that little color book with beautiful photos by Mark Mitchell. It seems that Bill Borer was screaming his head off for a 61 OHV and got some early ones. Offhand I don't recall the exact date, but it was earlier than usually thought.

There will probably be several mentions of Joe Dobner in Enthusiast and in period mags as Knuth club news was well covered and Dobner was apparently a very active and talented rider.
                    Herbert Wagner
                    AMCA 4634
                    =======
                    The TRUE beginnings of the Harley-Davidson Motor Co.

Comment

Working...
                    X