Great Escape, re-enacted

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Great Escape, re-enacted

Ran across this over on the Triumph forum. Thought some of you may enjoy it.
    http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/dri...cle5718912.ece
    ------------
    Steve
    AMCA #7300

You can't make that **** up. It was the best.
    AMCA #3149
    http://www.thegoodoldmotorcyclepartscompany.com

Comment

Great clip Steve! Just goes to show that oldtimers like Bud Ekins were true daredevils!
      Cory Othen
      Membership#10953

Comment

Hi Steve
        Could you post a link to the Triumph forum. I'm restoring a 68 T100C and could use lots of advise.
        Thanks Dennis AMCA#11302

Comment

Nice and friendly folks here Dennis. I’ve gotten lots of help on the T140 I’m playing with from them. Check out the “Classics and Cruisers” area.
          http://www.triumphrat.net/
          ------------
          Steve
          AMCA #7300

Comment

Triumph memory

Makes me thick of my first real motorcycle, 1969 Triumph TR6C

Comment

Great Escape Anniversary

G'day fellas.
              I see they have just held the anniversary of the 'Great Escape' at the Stalag Luft site.
              I think 5 survivors went and it was pretty moving, especially for one who hadn't been back for 65 years.
              Unfortunately, looks like the bike escape was fictional, and only for the movie, as was any Americans involved in the escape according to the British survivors.

Best wishes everyone.

Ken.
              Ken Kemp
              Nth Queensland
              AUSTRALIA
              Member # 8756

47 Chief
              2006 BMW K1200S
              Getting seriously interested in Vincent
              2010 Can Am Spyder RSS (The Wife made me do it!)
              SYM 125 Scooter

Comment

I had a good friend in high school whose Father had been a prisoner there. He didn't escape and suffered horribly according to my friend. His Father had nightmares about it until he died, which wasn't long after we graduated in 1970. It must have been a hellish place.
                Eric Smith
                AMCA #886

Comment

G'day Eric.
                  It's been reported that the Stalag Lufts were the more tolerable of the Prisoner of War camps (Ran by the Airforce vs the SS).
                  Just goes to show how bad things were for the non military prisoners.
                  I've been to Auschwitz (OCT 2007) and that complex (3 camps) must be seen to be believed.

Back to bike topics, I'm off to change my Chummy seat back over to a solo in time for the Queensland Indian Rally here in Oz. I find the Chummy just too uncomfortable with my wife on the back sine my knee op. Age is creeping up!

Best wishes mate.

Ken
                  Ken Kemp
                  Nth Queensland
                  AUSTRALIA
                  Member # 8756

47 Chief
                  2006 BMW K1200S
                  Getting seriously interested in Vincent
                  2010 Can Am Spyder RSS (The Wife made me do it!)
                  SYM 125 Scooter

Comment

Great Escape

My high school math teacher was at Stalag Luft. He was one of the prisoners who helped get rid of the soil that was excavated from the tunnel. They had bags sewn into their pantlegs that were filled with the soil. They used hidden ripcords to release the soil. They played basketball in the compound. At the right time they would release the soil and it would just look like they were kicking up dust as they played basketball. He sure was a good basketball player at school. Tom Wilcock AMCA # 381

Comment

Working...
                    X