Stroker JD build ???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stroker JD build ???

Hello all, I'm thinking about building a stroker jd motor for a Hot-Rod! I know you can get flywheels from T & Osbourne. I have heard of racers using oem parts that will complete the mission. Does anyone know the flywheel,rod & piston formula??? Thank you all Carl Estes ...ph# 513 407 2575....kim6723@aol.com;

74 top end on a 61 bottom =68 other than larger wheels from t.o. i dont know how you can do a 74 up to 80
    rob ronky #10507
    www.diamondhorsevalley.com

Comment

I think you'll be sorry.
      Eric Smith
      AMCA #886

Comment

thats a great point. jds run very well with todays fuel . 74 ci. is plenty.any more and you may stress your bottom end to much change your carb & exaust
        rob ronky #10507

Comment

IOE Strokers

Hi all,
          the guy that run this web site; http://www.flobergshagen.com/ have built some serious IOE strokers that seems to last. You could e-mail him and maybe he would share his recipy?

Regards from Norway
          Sverre
          And then there is the idea that we are here on earth to get a certain amount of things done before we die.
          This is a great theory.
          If it is true, I am so far behind that I will never die...

AMCA-3489

Comment

Stroker ???

Mr. Smith, elaborate please....thanks Carl

Comment

your cases may not be able to hold more umph remeber they are 75+yrs
              rob ronky #10507

Comment

J model bottom ends are weak. Compare a set of J connecting rods to OHV connecting rods. Big horsepower comes from the top end, i.e. big valves, radical cam profiles, porting, and carburetor changes. You need a bottom end that can take what the top end gives it. Stroking a weak bottom end just increases your likelyhood of catastrophic damage. Also, I have never known a person who stroked a Harley or Indian that was happy with the result, (except for modern Harleys). They all said they would put their engines back to standard stroke on the next rebuild. Strokers are hard to start, contrary, unpredictable, and doomed to break themselves and your heart. Personally, I would look for a Japanese motorcycle if I wanted to go fast. If you want something with class and panache, put you money into a top notch rebuilt engine that starts every time. That's the kind of bike that really leaves an impression.
                Eric Smith
                AMCA #886

Comment

Carl, I don't want to come off as snooty about this. I base my opinion on the experiences of friends, and engine builders I have talked to, and stupid stuff I did to a Chief motor. I truly believe that the best bikes you'll ever have are the ones that always start after 2 or 3 kicks while your friend is kicking his way to cardiac arrest.
                  Eric Smith
                  AMCA #886

Comment

talk to dave at www.flatoutvintagemotorbike.com if you whant to race then stroke it and repair it and repair it or buy bottom end (2cam) from fred lange nice repops.last spring i whent down the same road big plans for big cubes.not one person said do it i told every one of them but i may only do 300 miles a year must of the replys i got thats 298 to many dont do again id say but what if. each person showed me a box of broken parts dont do
                    rob ronky #10507

Comment

Stroked???

Well, Bob Ross used to tell me that I was working towards a hand grenade
                      by hopping up a 45. That was in 1969. I have stroked only 2 motors. A
                      1974 Shovelhead. It ran smoother and doubled the power. Stroke was 4 5/8"
                      The motor lasted 40,000 miles and was still healthy when I sold the bike.

Bob ran a 88" two cam at Catalina and Big Bear. It hauls the mail. It is still
                      around.

My current monster is a 101" , 1935 VD. I have 10,000 miles on this stroker.
                      It has other hopup mods. It puts out about 60hp at the rear wheel.

Your JD will have a small crankpin compared to my VD. I used a late model
                      big crankpin. Other than that, the VD starts easy, idles good and hauls. I even use the 1-piece short OEM kicker.

If the motor is done by someone who knows engines, it will run great. The
                      life of the engine will be decreased by how big you go. On an antique bike,
                      you aren't putting many miles on and may get 10 to 15 years out of an 88"
                      motor. This is just my personal experience. This is based on what I know
                      for a fact. If I had a JD it would be an 88". You need 4 3/4 wheels and a
                      bore of 3 7/16".

Comment

s/l

You have a standing invitation to come to our shop for a free dyno run, anytime you are near Michigan.

I'll believe 60 hp at the rear wheel when I see it.

Comment

I have seen and heard his 101" VL. If it isn't putting out heaps of horsepower it certainly sounds like it.
                          Be sure to visit;
                          http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
                          Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
                          Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

Stroked !

Thank you S/L, positive feedback finally. Everyone seems to be negative on strokers.....There is a 96" stroker j that -fricken flies !!! It is so healthy it takes 2 men to push start it & it's been flying for 6 years...So I definately am stroking mine..I wanna FLY !!! Thanks Guys Carl Pusherman Racing PS Love to see that 101 V

Comment

Are you using the stock pinion shaft bushing in the right case? What is the longest distance you have ridden and what average speed?

Comment

Working...
                              X