Brownie Betar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brownie Betar

Now tell me if ya don't get a grin out of this.............

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3z8vzg8SXkI
    Cory Othen
    Membership#10953

18 views.......are there any grins yet? I love listening to the old timers. Listen while you can.
    Cory Othen
    Membership#10953

Comment

Cory
      that brings back memories, if you were lucky enough to get to the shop and see all that Indian stuff, you thought you were in heaven
      Kevin Valentine 13
      EX-Chief Judge

Comment

Howdy Chaps,

The Bomber he's leaning against which was a fixture of his store reminds me of my own 441 which held court in the various locations of the motorcycle shops of it's owner - not stored, but a visible center piece - from 1951 till 1995 when I bought it. The rusty handlebars polished almost to a sheen in the outer bends near the grips where someone had stood there leaning on it as Brownie's doing in this video while addressing his audience.

Sort of like the comments about about all gone but the stories. Brownie's shop contents were sold at the Wood's auction at Deland during Bike Week in the early mid 90's. He was brought down, placed in a chair amidst all this stuff on the floor of Stetson's gym and immediately picked up his story telling to a rapt audience as people pawed through his stuff on the tables behind. The Bomber sitting next to him there invariably described as having reached 135 or 150 - presumably based on his feel for whether the listener was particularly mechanically astute or not - and it was almost like old times.

Alas, this event appeals to a more Euro/Brit machinery oriented crowd and seemingly apparent interest in all those parts, unfortunately turned out to be just idle curiosity when it came time to bid. They went for nearly nothing and the Bomber sold for a mere $5,500 or so. This sad ending capped a weekend in which I heard Brownie recount proudly on many occassions, Steve McQueen's $225k offer for the contents of his store that he didn't live to follow through on.

Man, I'd love to know where that Bomber is now, the ultimate gnarly Indian bobber with colorfully described provenance. Once in my possession, I'd be inclined to describe how Brownie had casually pulled up alongside and then passed Rollie on his Black Lightning at the Salt Flats to continue a long held story telling tradition .
        Last edited by PRG; 02-12-2009, 01:31 PM.
        Cheerio,
        Peter
        1950 Vincent - A Red Rapide Experience

Comment

It's about the people and the stories as much as it is about the bikes. So Peter are you saying that the Bomber was bought dirt cheap and hasn't surfaced since?
          Cory Othen
          Membership#10953

Comment

Howdy Sir,

It has not surfaced that I'm aware of . Even with post then 1989 collector car market collapse on everyone's radar screen to refine their purchasing scrutiny, I can't fathom the thought someone bought it with the perspective "I can restore even that" ...to AMCA judging guidelines when it should have been left well enough alone.

Under the unblinking gaze of the blinding mercury vapor lights of the Stetson basketball gym it did indeed look a bit haggard by most anyone's standards if viewed objectively, what with broken cylinder fins and all...but with it's diminutive owner alongside, man, what a rich piece of history.

Hopefully when it left the building that Saturday, not all that history was lost or dismissed.
            Last edited by PRG; 02-12-2009, 09:35 PM.
            Cheerio,
            Peter
            1950 Vincent - A Red Rapide Experience

Comment

brownie betar - grins

I am smiling from ear to ear after seeing this. I was fortunate enough to have been introduced to Brownie in the late 80's and spent a good amount of time with him up until the day he passed. A lot of great memories! I would love to know where the Bomb is now and yes I agree leave it alone just as it was.

Comment

dont worry guys. the bomb is exactly the way brownie left it. It is owned by a lifetime Indian and Brownie enthusiast, not some rich yuppie.

Comment

any chance he would let you snap a picture of it?

Comment

Originally posted by Anthony View Post
                    dont worry guys. the bomb is exactly the way brownie left it. It is owned by a lifetime Indian and Brownie enthusiast, not some rich yuppie.
                    That is awesome to hear!!! A pic would be cool to see......
                    Cory Othen
                    Membership#10953

Comment

Originally posted by Anthony View Post
                      Hey don't discriminate against the rich, they can be enthusiasts too! After all, the Dupont family bought the entire Indian company for one of their enthusiast sons! Where would we all be if it wasn't for that?

Comment

I will see what I can do about getting a picture of the bomb the next time I see it.

Comment

Brownie's Bomb

A picture would be great to see - I have looked thru all mine and can't seem to find one (it would be from when it sat in Brownie's shop) glad to hear it is in good hands

Comment

Working...
                          X