Looking for 40's period metal letters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for 40's period metal letters

The original owner of my 47 EL put his name on both tanks and his girlfriend's name on the front fender with what appear to be chrome letters. I've seen these letters used on other bikes from the same period, mostly on leather pieces.

I would not feel right taking Larry's name off his bike so I'd like to replace the missing letters.

I have this feeling that if I restore his name, Larry just might peek over the edge of a cloud and smile down on his old bike some day. Plus replacing them would hide the glue that is permanently affixed to the original paint.

If anyone has some they'd be willing to part with or knows of a source for these letters, I'd appreciate it. I need 1-L, 2-A's, 3-R's, 1-J and 1-I.

Attached is a picture of what I'm looking for.

Thanks,
    Attached Files
    Regards,
    Rob Sigond
    AMCA # 1811

That is an interesting font (type style.) Try googling stick on chrome letters. Some call these 3D chrome letters. You'll have to look through a lot to find the exact style. ...bill
    Bill Gilbert in Oregon

Comment

That is an interesting font (type style.) Try googling stick on chrome letters. Some call these 3D chrome letters. You'll have to look through a lot to find the exact style. ...bill
      Bill Gilbert in Oregon

Comment

I have seen these on E-Bay from time to time,Im also sure some of the better known venders may have some laying around,Old Dude,Harbor Vintage among a few you might want to try ! Good Luck !!!!

Comment

Not a common find anymore

If you make it to Oley Pa in April there are prolly a few venders that have NOS ones I know of one for sure just can't think of their name right now. They have threaded studs on the back that were grinded of for use on the tank there. I just purchased a few last year there and some online as well before. Merlin in Pa.

Comment

Thanks for the input. Gives me more hope of finding the missing letters. I was considering having a shop water jet what I need but that would be a last resort.

A few of mine fell off during the cleaning process. I took a close look at them and these never had studs on the back of them. They are punched from shim stock type of material. Tried a magnet and they are non-magnetic. I would expect to see some brass coming thru the plate if they were silver or chrome plated but there is no sign,even on the edges. So I'm starting to think that they are either stainless steel or silver alloy.

I never thought of contacting the Old Dude. I'm going to try him.

Thanks all.
            Regards,
            Rob Sigond
            AMCA # 1811

Comment

I'm almost positive "Easy Russ Auto" out of Grand Rapids, MI has them. Paps

Comment

chrome letters

Originally posted by Snakeoil View Post
                The original owner of my 47 EL put his name on both tanks and his girlfriend's name on the front fender with what appear to be chrome letters. I've seen these letters used on other bikes from the same period, mostly on leather pieces.

I would not feel right taking Larry's name off his bike so I'd like to replace the missing letters.

I have this feeling that if I restore his name, Larry just might peek over the edge of a cloud and smile down on his old bike some day. Plus replacing them would hide the glue that is permanently affixed to the original paint.

If anyone has some they'd be willing to part with or knows of a source for these letters, I'd appreciate it. I need 1-L, 2-A's, 3-R's, 1-J and 1-I.

Attached is a picture of what I'm looking for.

Thanks,
                check with David Wasserman,I bought some from him at Wauseon,for my replica kidneybelt
                Ken S., # 6457
                1926- H-D BAF-Peashooter
                1954-H-D Panhead

Comment

Thanks. Do you have phone numbers or other contact info for Easy Russ Auto?

Thanks.
                  Regards,
                  Rob Sigond
                  AMCA # 1811

Comment

I don't, but he is an e-bay seller, perhaps you could find him there somehow?
                    Pete Cole AMCA #14441
                    1947 Indian Chief

Comment

(616) 364-7626 1000 Nason St NW, Grand Rapids, MI 49504

Comment

Thanks Paps. Will log that name and number away. I emailed David Wasserman and he has some of the letters I need. I called Harbor Vintage since they are close and Dave thinks he's got what I need. He said there were multiple makers of these and in various fonts. Turns out my front fender letters are a different font than the tank letters. Never looked that close before today. Dave thinks he has both fonts.

Appreciate the help on this. I'm sure Larry appreciates it too.

Oh, when I looked really close at the ghost left by the last missing letter on the fender, it turns out to be an M instead of an N. That spells JIM. So I'm starting to wonder why JIM is on the fender and LARRY is on the tanks. Need to check with Larry's daughter to see who Jim was. I'm thinking they might have gone in together on the bike.

Thanks again,
                        Regards,
                        Rob Sigond
                        AMCA # 1811

Comment

Working...
                        X