Warren Buffett Invests $300 Million in Harley

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Warren Buffett Invests $300 Million in Harley

America's richest man announced the details of his investing $300 million in Harley Davidson today.

What's that say about his appreciation of a great American icon? Full details at Motorcycle Industry.
    Buzz Kanter
    Classic-Harley.Info Classic Harley History
    [Classic American Iron Forum Classic Harley Forum
    [American Iron Magazine Harley Magazine

This is the man to rewrite HD's 'official' history. ...bill
    Bill Gilbert in Oregon

Comment

I suspect it has far less to do with his appreciation of anything more than the fact H-D was willing to pay him more interest than anyone else. Sounds like the kind of shenanigans that got Indian in trouble back in the day!
      Robbie
      Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

I wish the new Harley-Davidson and Warren Buffett luck with their venture, but my greatest hope is for the workers who do the actual work. The new H-D doesn't interest me very much and I really don't like their dealerships/clothing stores. I will buy a few things there but I don't get that warm fuzzy feeling like I used to get at Puckett's or Farmer's of Orlando. I live in Sarasota now and the Honda dealer (Hap's Honda) used to be the Harley dealer here. I get more of an old time Harley dealership feeling in Hap's than I do at the actual Harley dealership here in Sarasota. I think a hard economic kick in behind would have done wonders for Harley Davidson but now old Warren is going to spare them that lesson and it will be back to smoozing the dentists and General Motors retirees. Hell, I don't even like their T-shirts.
        Eric Smith
        AMCA #886

Comment

Buzz, it does say alot about the Icon, lets hope the value Warren sees in the company actually materializes again as it did when the Harley family bought the company back from AMF and started on the right track in the early 80s (and stayed on track well into the early 1990s where production remained lower and the Company had a core set of values). During the 80s and well into the 90s the Company appeared keenly aware of the problems that haunted them in 68 and 69 when they went under the first time (poor quality, fat expenses and a departure from their core values and true customers). The production problems today (over production) and requirements of dealers overstock bikes, Harley logo toilet paper and bolt on aluminum crap are killing the dealers and in turn the company. I agree with the previous posts and I too miss the old dealer feel you used to get in dealers of the past (old Brewster Harley in NY was a prime example). I understand the drive of the company for a modern image and completely understand the need to change and increase sales, but I think they went way too far and the "ICON" of the past has lost its luster. Harley let the company become a fad and glorified it in a manner that has relegated owning a new harley to owning any other comodity (even the new dealerships have a welcome to Costco feel to them). I think the company needs to ressurect itself with a new mission, vision and values and a return to their roots. Maybe the current financial problems and guys like Warren will help, but they have a real long road ahead.
          Last edited by parkerize; 02-08-2009, 06:47 PM.

Comment

At least it is not taxpayer's money bailing out yet another company that was poorly run.

Comment

Working...
            X