Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Looking for info on a couple of items...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for info on a couple of items...

Last edited by badger34; 11-21-2021, 05:41 PM.

Beware as new REPOP printers blocks are out there.
    Be sure to visit;
    http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
    Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
    Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

In the days of linotype, all printing of newspapers and similar publications used such blocks, arranged in frames with blocks of text for each page.

No doubt tens of thousands of pertinent blocks were in existence at one time or another, but it was standard practice to re-melt them for re-use.

Most linotype has been scrapped for its zinc, lead, and tin, of course.
      (Of Indian relevance, I found a DuPont logo block in a dumpster last summer.)

....Cotten
      AMCA #776
      Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

s.a. speedway

Originally posted by badger34 View Post
        Two pieces from some of my grandfathers stuff that have me searching for more info. One is a speedway racing club badge which is sized the same as the following photo. I've done some searching on S.A. Speedway Riders Club and come up with South Australia and South Africa but I have my doubts on those origins, this ended up in Milwaukee. The badge is marked solo division so maybe there might have been a sidecar division also? Anyone recognize this?
        Was he ever into boardtrack or dirt track racing?
        Ken S., # 6457
        1926- H-D BAF-Peashooter
        1954-H-D Panhead

Comment

race item

Originally posted by badger34
          I don't believe that my grandfather ever raced on ovals, I only have info on the Badger Derbies he participated in. He would attend dirt track races, I know of Cedarburg and the Fair Park. In fact, I have an Aug. 22 1936 Milwaukee Fair Park motorcycle race program and he is listed under race officials as chief checker.
          Would He have owned a S,SA,SAS model single racer?
          Ken S., # 6457
          1926- H-D BAF-Peashooter
          1954-H-D Panhead

Comment

They did have some cinder track or speedway races in Milwaukee in the 1930s. Don't know how long it lasted. That's how Squib Henrich lost his foot. Both Dobner and Stopar would have both known Squib who lived well into his 90s.
            Herbert Wagner
            AMCA 4634
            =======
            The TRUE beginnings of the Harley-Davidson Motor Co.

Comment

side note to Herb

Originally posted by HarleyCreation View Post
              They did have some cinder track or speedway races in Milwaukee in the 1930s. Don't know how long it lasted. That's how Squib Henrich lost his foot. Both Dobner and Stopar would have both known Squib who lived well into his 90s.
              Herb,
              In your meetings with the guys from exp. engineering,do you or did you ever talk to John Norton.( 39 yr emp.)
              Ken S., # 6457
              1926- H-D BAF-Peashooter
              1954-H-D Panhead

Comment

Originally posted by milw.pirates View Post
                Herb,
                In your meetings with the guys from exp. engineering,do you or did you ever talk to John Norton.( 39 yr emp.)
                Ken,

No, I don't think that I did. That name doesn't ring a bell. Is he still around? What were his years there?
                Herbert Wagner
                AMCA 4634
                =======
                The TRUE beginnings of the Harley-Davidson Motor Co.

Comment

john norton

Originally posted by HarleyCreation View Post
                  Ken,

No, I don't think that I did. That name doesn't ring a bell. Is he still around? What were his years there?
                  Herb,
                  I recieved a call last night from a chapter member,that works at a Milw. Hospital,John is there for heart problems,got to talking about his years at H-D exp. dept.43,one thing lead to another and I got the call,He wants to get together,worked with my Dad,has a lot of stories,I'll go see him this weekend.
                  Ken
                  Ken S., # 6457
                  1926- H-D BAF-Peashooter
                  1954-H-D Panhead

Comment

Working...
                  X