New to the AMCA, introduction

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to the AMCA, introduction

Last edited by badger34; 11-21-2021, 05:44 PM.

welcome aboard!

Originally posted by badger34 View Post
    New guy onboard, just wanted to say hello and thank you to those who created this resource and contribute. I don't qualify as a true antique motorcycle enthusiast like most of you here, this is my first look into the antique motorcycle community. Being a Wisconsin native and having family that worked for H-D I am in-turn an H-D enthusiast with interest in the history of both the MoCo and Milwaukee. I do own one classic though, a 1956 ST165 single that has been in my family since new. The bike has a little (get it "little") story to go with it that connects it's purchase to the MoCo company picnic that year. My grandfather Joe Dobner worked at H-D for 41 years from 1934-1975, he started as a factory test rider and later moved into the R&D department. My grandmother started work at H-D on the same day as my grandpa in the electrical department, neither knew each other at the time. My grandparents married in 1938 and grandma left the company after five years to raise my dad. My avatar picture is of my grandfather from 1934 on his 1925 74" solo with his 1st place solo division AMA Badger Derby trophy. Also the reason why I chose the user name badger34. Sadly my grandfather passed in 1980 before I could grasp the tales to be told, grandmother will be 94 this year. I look forward to learning more motorcycle lore as I dig in here, thanks.
    As a fellow Wisconsinite and whose father worked in the same dept. at H-D,( 1948-2003),you will meet a great bunch of guys on this site!
    jump in and have fun
    Ken S., # 6457
    1926- H-D BAF-Peashooter
    1954-H-D Panhead

Comment

glad to have you here. there is a wealth of information to be learned here I am humbled by the lack of my knowledge compared to the masses here
      Moose
      aka Glenn

Comment

Welcome Dave there is a lot of good people and Info here
        Jeff Bowles
        Arkansas
        Membership # 14023
        1957 Sportster

Comment

Welcome to the club forum. Great folks here.
          Buzz Kanter
          Classic-Harley.Info Classic Harley History
          [Classic American Iron Forum Classic Harley Forum
          [American Iron Magazine Harley Magazine

Comment

I would think 'parking lot chatter' should do. Anyone else? Welcome to the joint!
            Ride 'em. Don't hide 'em.
            Dan #6938 FUBO

Comment

Originally posted by motorhead1 View Post
              I would think 'parking lot chatter' should do.
              good as place as any if not they well add a place for it
              Jeff Bowles
              Arkansas
              Membership # 14023
              1957 Sportster

Comment

Originally posted by badger34 View Post
                New guy onboard, just wanted to say hello and thank you to those who created this resource and contribute. I don't qualify as a true antique motorcycle enthusiast like most of you here, this is my first look into the antique motorcycle community. Being a Wisconsin native and having family that worked for H-D I am in-turn an H-D enthusiast with interest in the history of H-D and Milwaukee. I do own one classic though, a 1956 ST165 single that has been in my family since new. The bike has a little (get it "little") story to go with it that connects it's purchase to the H-D company picnic that year. My grandfather Joe Dobner worked at H-D for 41 years from 1934-1975, he started as a factory test rider and later moved into the R&D department. My grandmother started work at H-D on the same day as my grandpa in the electrical department, neither knew each other at the time. My grandparents married in 1938 and grandma left the company after five years to raise my dad. My avatar picture is of my grandfather in 1934 with his 1st place solo division AMA Badger Derby trophy, the reason why I chose the user name badger34. Sadly my grandfather passed in 1980 before I could grasp the tales to be told, grandmother will be 94 this year. I look forward to learning more motorcycle lore as I dig in here, thanks.
                Hi Dave,

Good info on Joe Dobner, your grandfather. From it I made a card on him for my people file. Over the years old guys I interviewed have mentioned Joe Dobner to me and I've seen his name in Enthusiast, etc. I'm surprised his name isn't in the 1930-41 book index. It should have been. Sorry. If I run across his name again in those interviews I'll save it for you. Maybe -- and I'm going by memory only here -- he might have been on a big Experimental Dept. test trip made about c1944-46 with Grandpa Deckert and another guy who went to Texas on bikes running experimental Hydra-Glides. That just seems to ring a bell.

You also mentioned the Lange Manf. Co. in Milwaukee and an early H-D expansion. Was that a construction company? I looked at my Juneau Ave. Factory Chrono paper and don't any Lange there. But of course lots of outfits were involved. I'll keep my eyes open for the name. Guys by the name of Lange worked at the H-D company over the years, I know that, but of course that's a rather common Milwaukee name.

Welcome to the AMCA and Forum!
                Herbert Wagner
                AMCA 4634
                =======
                The TRUE beginnings of the Harley-Davidson Motor Co.

Comment

mmc question

Originally posted by badger34
                  Glad you're back Herb, I've been anxiously awaiting your return. You have a very good memory and as I mentioned before I am impressed with your research. I have record of two experimental department testing trips my Grandpa Joe was a part of. One was indeed in 1945, he made the trip southwest with Hal Deckert, Griff Kathcart and Homer Miller. I have photos from this trip and would say that in the one good picture of my grandfather on a bike it looks like the front end is not a production piece. I also have a small spiral notebook recording another trip southwest in October of 1948, it is a record of the daily mileage covered, hours on the road, fuel & oil usage and where they stayed for the night. It was a sixteen day trip that covered 5,002 miles. I should make it a point to trace this run sometime in the future. I just returned home from visiting my grandmother on her 94th birthday today. She is suffering from alzheimer's but does recollect some of the guy's names from the early days like Hal Deckert, Ed Kieckbusch, Bill Knuth, Johnny Spiegelhoff and Carl Griesbacher who was close with my Grandpa Joe. She recalls Bill Knuth's and the MMC club on Fond du Lac Avenue. She also remembers the boss of the H-D electrical department where she worked, a Tony Krittner. Her nickname in the department was "Spark Plug Annie", she recalls assembling, gapping and boxing spark plugs and also assembling ignition coils during her five years with H-D.
                  Hello Dave,
                  Do you have any other info on the MMC ,I have one of William Bold's 1936,AMA trophies.
                  Ken S.
                  Ken S., # 6457
                  1926- H-D BAF-Peashooter
                  1954-H-D Panhead

Comment

Dave

Hi Ken, I have my Grandpa Joe's 1934 Badger Derby winners trophy and his three Badger Derby scorecards from 1932, 1934 and 1935. I also have a Carl Griesbacher Badger Derby winning trophy from 1939. And, I have a blue & yellow felt MMC club logo patch that's about 4" x 5" in size.
                    Dave,
                    I met a guy at the World of Wheels show last year,that has early photos and negatives of the MMC, he picked them up at an estate sale,have tried for a year to get copies,still trying,If I ever get copies I'll get in touch with you.
                    Ken
                    P.S. check this years photo's at bottom of Forum.
                    Ken S., # 6457
                    1926- H-D BAF-Peashooter
                    1954-H-D Panhead

Comment

Glad you're back Herb, I've been anxiously awaiting your return. You have a very good memory and as I mentioned before I am impressed with your research. I have record of two experimental department testing trips my Grandpa Joe was a part of. One was indeed in 1945, he made the trip southwest with Hal Deckert, Griff Kathcart and Homer Miller. I have photos from this trip and would say that in the one good picture of my grandfather on a bike it looks like the front end is not a production piece. I also have a small spiral notebook recording another trip southwest in October of 1948, it is a record of the daily mileage covered, hours on the road, fuel & oil usage and where they stayed for the night. It was a sixteen day trip that covered 5,002 miles. I should make it a point to trace this run sometime in the future. I just returned home from visiting my grandmother on her 94th birthday today. She is suffering from alzheimer's but does recollect some of the guy's names from the early days like Hal Deckert, Ed Kieckbusch, Bill Knuth, Johnny Spiegelhoff and Carl Griesbacher who was close with my Grandpa Joe. She recalls Bill Knuth's and the MMC club on Fond du Lac Avenue. She also remembers the boss of the H-D electrical department where she worked, a Tony Krittner. Her nickname in the department was "Spark Plug Annie", she assembled, gapped and boxed spark plugs and also worked with ignition coils during her five years with H-D.
                      Spark Plug Annie. It doesn't get much better than that and should be in an article or book.

Ed Kieckbusch was foreman in Experimental Dept. They all said that he was an outstanding guy and I was told by Kauper that the bikes didn't have a fuse because Kieckbusch didn't think they needed one!

Tony Krittner rings a bell, but I don't know anything about him.

I knew Hal Deckect. He might have mentioned Joe Dobner too. The trip you mentioned from 1945 has got to be the one, as Deckert mentioned those other names too. I'm very glad that your family kept that stuff and you have it safe and sound. Both Spiegelhoff and Griesbacher were dead by the time I came along. Knuth too. I did talk to club members like Willie Bold, Carl Griesemer, Deckert and some others. Not too many left by the 1990s.
                      Herbert Wagner
                      AMCA 4634
                      =======

Comment

Originally posted by milw.pirates View Post
                        Dave,
                        I met a guy at the World of Wheels show last year,that has early photos and negatives of the MMC, he picked them up at an estate sale,have tried for a year to get copies,still trying,If I ever get copies I'll get in touch with you.
                        Ken
                        P.S. check this years photo's at bottom of Forum.
                        I have heard that Bill Knuth had tons of photo albums of club and racing activities and also took 16mm movies of everything. But where the bulk of that material went is a mystery to me. Some movies from the late 1950s & early 60s have been sold as copies and around the time of H-D's 95th somebody was advertising Knuth movies for $10,000. I don't know who got that stuff either. Knuth's photo albums would have been a complete record of motorcycling around Milwaukee from the early 1920s on up: clubs, racing, hillclimbs, parties, maybe some factory stuff.

A stunning history if one could find it.
                        Herbert Wagner
                        AMCA 4634
                        =======

Comment

Working...
                        X