Genuine Harley Parts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Genuine Harley Parts

We have all read about the layoffs at Harley-Davidson as well as many other companies across our Used to be great country. My question is this: If Harley-Davidson used the original specs (damned the cost) to reproduce fenders, motor parts, tranny parts, lights, crash bars, seats, saddlebags, etc. Would you buy it?---Michael--AMCA 6671

H-D gave that multi-billion dollar business away back in the 1960's. I always thought that was as dumb as Xerox giving the GUI, (graphic user interface) system to Apple. Unlike Xerox, H-D(AMF) had 5 to 10 years to see their mistake and rope in that enourmous market, and they still didn't do it. Instead they went for logo enforcement. I guess they made a bundle on T-shirts but I still think that if they had taken care of the historical products and customers that built the "legend", they would be in much better shape.
    Eric Smith
    AMCA #886

Comment

The real problem with that is they really don't have the specs anymore according to folks I posed that same question to at the factory over a decade ago. And then there is the problem that always comes up in reproducing these things. The same part may have been used from 48-65 (heads for example), of which there are probably seven main variants. Which one do you repo? It would not be feasible to make them all and they are not set up to produce them as ordered. a set of new heads for current production bikes will set ya back about $1000 and that doesn't include rockers or boxes. That's something they make a thousand pairs of a day. What do you think a made to spec by single order set would cost? How many orders will they get for $3000+ heads that still would not be exact reproductions? We are a very small market. Most folks are more than happy to hang Taiwan Tedd's ill fitting junk on their garage jewelery. Outside of those of us who are really into this hobby the word "restored" seems to have a whole different meaning anyway. And they don't seem to ride much either so quality is not a real concern for them either.
      Brian Howard AMCA#5866

Comment

Working...
      X