Oldest Motorcycle Clubs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oldest Motorcycle Clubs

Ross mentioned old motorcycle clubs and indicated that The Manitoba Motorcycle Club started in 1911. Here's a cover photo from Canadian Biker Magazine that I've always surmised how us old motorcycle freaks look at the world. A tranquil moment wouldn't you say?

Cory Othen
    Membership#10953

another error......hmm.......let's see if this shows on the main page....
    Cory Othen
    Membership#10953

Comment

Great old shot of my old friend Dave Tissot of Winnipeg (aka SPOT). That was at our annual corn roast in Selkirk Manitoba of the Antique motorcycle club of manitoba which incidently I co-founded in jan of 1977. I was there that day on my 36 VL. Ironically Spot was also a member of the Manitoba Motorcycle club and a hell of a rider.
      Ross

Comment

So Cory.....it would appear the Manitoba club is the 3rd oldest for the moment. To recap.........Yonkers-1903 and still going and then San fran -1904 and still going ? , and then Manitoba 1911 and definately still going. Any other clubs before 1911 organized and still going??????
        Ross

Comment

What about Reading MC Club?
          Louie
          FaceBook >>>Modern Antique Cycle
          Blog Site >>> http://louiemcman.blogspot.com/
          YouTube >>> LouieMCman

Comment

What about the Reading MC Club?
            Louie
            FaceBook >>>Modern Antique Cycle
            Blog Site >>> http://louiemcman.blogspot.com/
            YouTube >>> LouieMCman

Comment

Hey Louie, how are ya? Reading MC est 1914............
              Cory Othen
              Membership#10953

Comment

Originally posted by Ross View Post
                Great old shot of my old friend Dave Tissot of Winnipeg (aka SPOT). That was at our annual corn roast in Selkirk Manitoba of the Antique motorcycle club of manitoba which incidently I co-founded in jan of 1977. I was there that day on my 36 VL. Ironically Spot was also a member of the Manitoba Motorcycle club and a hell of a rider.
                I figured you'd like the cover shot Ross. It's always been one of my favorite covers from that magazine.

Alright who else knows some of the early clubs? I think the Manitoba Motorcycle Club takes the oldest in Canada. Most of the clubs out west here started in the '20's.

The Billings Motorcycle Club in Montana started in 1914.
                Cory Othen
                Membership#10953

Comment

i believe the san francisco motorcycle club is still active ,and may actually have title to a genuine curtiss motorcycle.red fred should give us all the info on that.
                  www.motorcyclecannonball.com

Comment

The MCC (Motor Cycling Club) of Britain held its first event in April, 1902. It is still an active club.
                    AFJ

Comment

I dodn't know the exact date but the New York City MC became the Federation of American Motorcyclists in 1903. A few years later they changed to The Motorcycle And Allied Trades Association, Then in 1924 the M&ATA became the American Motorcycle Association. And most recently became The American motorcyclists Association. I don't know another club that has been around that long.
                      Be sure to visit;
                      http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
                      Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
                      Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

Yes, the SFMC is still Very much in Activity, and yes, we have what seems to be the best example of an original Curtis Twin I've ever seen (been to Hamandsport, and the Smithsonian). Our sister club, Younkers, did indeed start before us, but they had a lapse of membership during the wars. We actually maintained continuality, and are therefore, actually the oldest continually operated club. Our club house is pretty much wall papered with "yard-long" photos from back in the day. Great stuff!
                        RF.

Comment

Yes, the SFMC is still Very much in Activity, and yes, we have what seems to be the best example of an original Curtis Twin I've ever seen (been to Hamandsport, and the Smithsonian). Our sister club, Younkers, did indeed start before us, but they had a lapse of membership during the wars. We actually maintained continuality, and are therefore, actually the oldest continually operated club. Our club house is pretty much wall papered with "yard-long" photos from back in the day. Great stuff!
                          RF.

Comment

I'd like to fire this thread back up as I have a love for the early history of motorcycling, and wanting to learn more about the old clubs , the men and their bikes that were around in the 1920s, 30s and 40s.

Here are a few I know of, though one or two don't seem very active other than a hill climb event, (from what I've read at least??)

- The Blue Comets MC (est. 1937)

- Bethlehem Motorcycle Club (Bethelhem, PA) (Existed in the 1930s)

- Bushkill Valley MC (est. 1937).... took over the "Bethlehem Motorycle Club" in 1950??.

**(More on the Bushkill Valley MC and Bethlehem MC)**

The Bushkill Valley Motorcycle Club, headquartered in Palmer Township, traces its "official" roots to 1937 when a small group of enthusiasts got a charter. Unofficially, the club goes back to 1935 in the heart of the Great Depression.

According to the club website www.thehillclimb.com, the club was started by a group of unemployed men on the site of BVMC's clubhouse in Palmer, near the old trolley station shed.

Legend has it that a clubhouse was built from lumber scrounged from nearby farms. The unemployed group lived off donated or borrowed produce from area farmers and government relief checks.

The club, when not running its two annual climbs, hosts numerous events for its members, held its first competitive hill climb in 1938 on a "hill" in Martins Creek.

Harold Joe Werner of Easton is the only living former national champion from the Bushkill Valley Motorcycle Club.In 1950 the club took over the old Bethlehem Motorcycle Club and with it the present Hill. That was the start of the nationally recognized hill climbs."
                            Last edited by 1776J; 08-09-2009, 07:23 PM.
                            "The beauty of life is more the crying baby than the great orchestra." -Woody Guthrie

Comment

Working...
                            X