Harley To Cut Staff & Motorcycle Production

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Harley To Cut Staff & Motorcycle Production

Harley just released their 2008 financials and they are not good. So poor Harley is planning on cutting staff and motorcycle production. Also consolidating some facilities.

Full article and details at Motorcycle Business. This economy is smacking everyone.
    Buzz Kanter
    Classic-Harley.Info Classic Harley History
    [Classic American Iron Forum Classic Harley Forum
    [American Iron Magazine Harley Magazine

Well I can not feel sorry for them they did everything possible to bring this on themselves! They had the world by the balls and did not even see this coming ...sooooo sad ,toooooo bad !Glad I rid myself of their over priced stock long ago !!

Comment

It doesn't matter if you "like" the current HD company or not.....it is to all our benefit that they are still in buisness, and making bikes.

Comment

Originally posted by fabercycle View Post
        It doesn't matter if you "like" the current HD company or not.....it is to all our benefit that they are still in buisness, and making bikes.
        And employing the people to make them......
        Chuck
        AMCA Member#1848

Comment

That is what is wrong here, and every where else ! Jobs are in Asia, not where they used to be ! Paps

Comment

Im sorry but i disagree the problem with HD the company they forgot where they came from,thought they were to big and nothing could stop them,killed dealers that were their friends for no real good reason other than they sold to other than end users, I have seen 1st hand how managment viewed their rank and file workers, how they hated the union and out sourced work and even treated those workers in a negative way! They are getting their just due ! Ive heard of people wanting to work out with HD Credit their payment plans good people having hard times and arebeing told to bad and then their MCs are repoed !! Sounds to me like they finally are admitting the ship is sinking !! And yes Im sorry for the workers that are getting laid off they get the short end of the stick...again ! Lots more in alot of other fields will be getting the same layoff slips,nothing in our great country is working to well right now,it will get better,whether HD makes it or not is another thing! If they did like the last time they were on the brink an listen to the people maybe they stand a chance !

Comment

Sorry I don't buy it all

Inline,

In all honesty when it comes to SOME of those that had a bike repoed let's be honest,this country has changed to the effect that a person doesn't think about tomorrow let alone next month or heaven forbid next year on how their personal debt's will be paid,the answer to their desire for everything is to ....charge it sad but true.

Gotta have big his and hers gas guzzling suv's huge homes that doesn't make sence to own let alone try to heat here in the north with the price of home heating fuel.

I work with a young guy,married couple of kids that has to have it all just like what I described above and more his and hers snow mobiles the list could go on for ever always complains he isn't paid enough can't pay his bills............and don't even get me started on his work ethic.

some people got the short end of that stick and others shoved that stick there with nobody to blame but themselves........sad but true.
              Chuck
              AMCA Member#1848

Comment

Tough times

Yes when the door got SLAMMED on Last year on the US/World Economy almost every manufacturer couldn't prepare for the overstock and slowdown of their businesses as they were already in high gear for next year. It will rebound only after the wounds heal...I think we all thought at some point what is going on with this out of control spending economy. Me personally thought it was odd when homes that were for sale were literally being bid over the selling price. LOL I was raised last of 5 children always sat and ate together, ate leftovers, wore hand me downs, live in the city conservitively, we didn't have a phone in the house until my only sister asked dad to get one when she was in high school.we weren't poor either. etc. The apple didn't fall far from the tree. My coworkers and friends make light of me often. LOL Back on the Subject of H-D ...oh I can drift, They'll make back just find as their Big Twins still dominate the touring market as well as cruisers. I wasn't happy at all back in the 80's and early 90's when they were forcing dealers to comply with their new look of selling jeans. I remember all too well the atmosphere as it changed and it worked in the companies favor bigtime. My newest H-D is the 94RK I bought new and still like it alot for touring it's a great handling bull of a bike. I don't see myself replacing it anytime soon either. Maybe I'm part of the problem...or they still make them to last. Merlin in Pa.
                Last edited by Magic; 01-24-2009, 09:42 AM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Magic,

although when I grew up in south eastern part of Detroit I can relate to what you were saying about family,we did have a phone it was hooked to a "party line" but we were the very last to get a color tv in the neighborhood in my house growing up nothing went to waste,food,clothing........nothing did........and when mom or dad spoke we listened not gonna say that I liked what I was told to do but you did it.

I do believe that HD will have to look at them selves pretty hard and make some changes to their way of operating and selling I for one don't want to see them go under OR any more people loose their jobs because of some corprate foolish decisions,where I live now in the western part of New York State we have seen a fair amount of companys close up and people loose their jobs.

As for their bikes (HD) I do like them don't see myself getting anything else I am very happy with my 01 roadglide and sidecar it has 63000+ on it with very little problems,still wish that I could have kept my 72 flh and sidecar the bike served me well for 22 years with over 158000 thousand on it that I put on it,from the time I bought it till the time I sold it.
                  In 97 it needed a complete overhaul but but in order to continue touring that is what I chose to do till we bought the roadglide.

The 72 was finally sold to fund a VL that I had wanted for many years I didn't want to sell it but it was the only way I could buy the VL hated to do it but tough choices had to be made,heck that bike was the last thing that had MORE seniority than my wife I have my hands pretty full with this project but it has been a learning experience.

Anyway seems that the H-D dealers now are molding themselves to look like the walmart's of the world...........heck,maybe it's gonna be called willie world
                  Chuck
                  AMCA Member#1848

Comment

Working...
                  X