Any Cammy Ajay Fanatics Out There?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any Cammy Ajay Fanatics Out There?

Here is my 1933 ohc dirt tracker, in effect the grand dad of the 7r and g50. I am looking for a few bits and info for the engine in particular the cam drive and upper oil pump. It is difficult to fabricate bits from the somewhat obscure drawings in the parts catalogue or to know the necessity of the upper pump since it seems to have come and gone over the years!

Barry,
    Did you see the Cammy AJS in the Nov 08 issue of "The Classic Motorcycle"? The owner made lots of the parts. Might be a good resource!
    Robbie
    Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Yes I did see that article. Unfortunately pre 1933 is a different engine in many respects. 33 was the first year for the magneto behind the engine etc. All that said I think I will make an effort at contact, you never know.Thanks for the reminder, I need more every day! Cheers, Barry

Comment

Now that Ajay looks like it's going to be a pile of fun when it's finished! Not to sidetrack things, but that's a pretty cool Henderson in the background!

Here's a cutaway pic from '39

Cory Othen
        Membership#10953

Comment

Barry,
          Contact me off line please as I think there's a guy here in NZ that can help you.
          He's officially put his motorcycle restoration business on hold as he has enough jobs backed up to occupy the next 3 to 4 years and is trying to catch up and keep those who have been waiting quite some time happy.
          He's recently done a 34 and a 36 cammy AJS and had to replicate some of the bits you are talking about. He won't thank me if I publish his name here but he is a real AJS freak and may just be persuaded to help if a personal approach is made.
          Elsewhere some of you have been talking Broughs and if you want a frame there is another mate here in NZ who is making replica frames and forks for them. If anyones interested I'll put you in touch with him.
          Robert Cremmers is using one of his frames with a KTOR JAP in it for classic racing and he sure takes some catching in the pre-war class. A Brough streching its legs at full song is sure a magic sight and sound even to a dyed in the wool Harley freak.
          Herb I haven't forgotten about that HD letter to my dad but I'm flat out finishing my 1958 500cc Manx Norton so I can race it at Pukekohe in a fortnights time. My 1931 500cc OHC AJS will have to wait for next year as I'm fast running out of time.
          Must fly as the workshop calls.
          Peter Thomson, a.k.a. Tommo
          A.M.C.A. # 2777
          Palmerston North, New Zealand.

Comment

Hi Tommo, I took your advice and wrote your friend almost a year ago now and sent an International reply coupon and a self addressed envelope but received nothing back. That hasn't happened very often in my over 40 years in the hobby ! I may get rid of the Ajay as there seems to be few or no co operative owners out there. Thanks anyway, Barry

Comment

Cory -- What kind of bike and year is that slant single you posted?

It looks fantastic ... so clean and nicely balanced in the lines.

Is it some some of AJS? I can see it's not an OHC engine.

That looks like a peanut tank ... if it's a bitsa of some sort, it came together very nicely.

Comment

I do believe it is a bit of a bitsa Bob. It's a '33 AJS 350 with a four-speed Beezer tranny. If I remember correctly it was just mocked up with the parts it came with. Barry may have a better eye for what's there. I do agree though it does make for a nice looking old Brit bike.
                Cory Othen
                Membership#10953

Comment

Working...
                X