No announcement yet.

Definition of Period Correct.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I would suspect that very few of the accessory loving motorcyclists of yore and today got all of their accessories at one time. Making a motorcycle look like Liberace owned it takes a lot of time and money. All of these bikes were a work in progress and something that was just GeeGaw in 1950 could have been replaced by something SuperGeeGaw in 1957.
    Eric Smith
    AMCA #886

Comment

Pixie Sticks are worth at least 95 points

Comment

I disagree with the Period Modified rule of accessories having to be from year of manufacture or EARLIER. I agree with Eric, that many accessory purchases probably occurred after a year or so when extra money became available after the initial purchase. This is true today as well. I purchased a push button Softail in '05. At that time the dealer provided an accessory catalog the size of a NY phone book. The last few years I've made changes to the bike.
        I don't think times have changed in that respect.
        I can appreciate the difficulty of judging & having to make limitations, but I think the accessories should be allowed a number of years after as well.
        I guess I won't be able to have it judged Period Modified in 2040 when I'm 84.
        Bob #3756
        Bob

Comment

Bob
          the accessory rules do not apply to Period Modified, only to Restored or Original
          Kevin Valentine 13
          EX-Chief Judge

Comment

Thanks Kevin,
            I'll get this straightened out in my head some day. That makes sense to me now.
            I guess this snow is making me a bit crazy. That's my excuse & I'm stickin' to it.
            Thanks again, Bob
            Bob

Comment

correct or modified difference

This whole post has been misunderstood as the question asked was about Period correct motorcycles...which is definately different then Period Modified as I see it. An original condition motorcycle can be accessorized and period correct would be the term for such a motorcycle dressed up with trim. That motorcycle can enter the Period Modified (Class) for a chance at an award as well as the Bobbers, Choppers, Customized motorcycles. As close as they sound and overlap there is a difference. If I'm mistaken say so but that's how I see people are getting it mixed up. Merlin in Pa.

Comment

Methinks what is getting mixed up is door prizes and beauty contests with legitimate AMCA protocol judging.

...Cotten
                AMCA #776
                Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

I apologize for adding to the confusion.
                  When the Period Modified judging was added I was grateful. I found that a 100 point restoration of my bike was not only unobtainable, but I really wanted to stray from correct on a few points. This allowed me to participate to some degree. If I understand the tone in Cotton's statement, I guess some feel the club is diluting its status a bit. If the Period Modified judging were to stop, it wouldn't matter much to me. I can understand the people who have the means to restore these bikes accurately wanting to maintain the clubs status at the top & not want to appear like a lesser meet.
                  I guess its up to our officers to determine what the founding fathers felt was legitimate.
                  Bob #3756
                  Bob

Comment

period modifieds

The reason that Kevin and I pushed for the period modified class at Eutis some years back was to save many machines that had been modified through the years with the removing of some stock parts or the adding of homebuilt or aftermarket parts. Many had aquired many years of patinia. We felt and still do that they were being restored and all their history lost to future generations because someone wanted another stock and looking like a new machine. There are tons of like factory machines restored to way better than new condition. Many historical machines that were raced, or ridden hard and kept running, ugly repairs etc. or neat items added should also be saved like original paint machines to show their history. More machines left the dealerships with Flanders bars, Bates seats and footpegs, different exhaust, and either Cominsky, Chicago, Beck, Superior, Buco, and many more aftermarket parts attached. Our Club know it must represent all faucets of the motorcycle history of this and other countries machines. It also let others enjoy machines that maybe are getting harder either in availability of parts or cost to restore to 100% original condition. there's room for everybody and every type of antique motorcycle. Let us hope thos will continue. Rich Ostrander
                    DrSprocket

Comment

Door Prize!

Of all my awards and trophys,this is the one that I am most proud of. And now I learn It's only a door prize.
                      Attached Files

Comment

period modifieds

Actually it's was the best of all the period modified motorcycles. You don't get 1st, 2nd, or 3rd for being the best stock machine in Class 1,2,3,4,5,6, or 7 do you! Probally didn't didn't get there on a trailer either or at least I hope not.
                        DrSprocket

Comment

Originally posted by rousseau View Post
                          Of all my awards and trophys,this is the one that I am most proud of. And now I learn It's only a door prize.
                          Hey Rousseau,

how about a picture of the bike that got you the award
                          Chuck
                          AMCA Member#1848

Comment

Forget the 'Purists' and their Concors' De Ignorance Champain Drinking, Fish Egg Eating Meets.

The 'Period Modified' class exists for us motorcycle 'Enthusiats' to recognize the 'Craftmanship' of our fellow motorcycle builders and beer drinkers. Congrats rousseau!

Hrdly
                            George Moesch
                            AMCA # 3232
                            Last edited by Hrdly-Dangrs; 01-16-2009, 11:41 AM.

Comment

Working...
                            X