Definition of Period Correct.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

just show the documentation

Hi there forum members, I hope all had a great holiday and all that sweet stuff. The thing that I remember about accessories are to get some documentation that they were available from the dealership at the time of purchase. If you could buy it at the time of purchase it should be allowable as an appropriate accessory from HD. I remember being on a team that judged the Roy bike from Don Wrench. The bike had some different colored accessories and alot of them, he got the original sales information from the prior owner's wife. It had those items purchased at the time of the order. The bike is at Quaker Steak and Lube in Sharon. Denise

Comment

Originally posted by servicardenise View Post
      Hi there forum members, I hope all had a great holiday and all that sweet stuff. The thing that I remember about accessories are to get some documentation that they were available from the dealership at the time of purchase. If you could buy it at the time of purchase it should be allowable as an appropriate accessory from HD. I remember being on a team that judged the Roy bike from Don Wrench. The bike had some different colored accessories and alot of them, he got the original sales information from the prior owner's wife. It had those items purchased at the time of the order. The bike is at Quaker Steak and Lube in Sharon. Denise
      I didn't know the Quakers sold steaks.
      Be sure to visit;
      http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
      Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
      Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

Great wings also Chris.
        Don certainly did enjoy bolting on the accessories. I was offered a chance to purchase his original paint 53 pan in milk crates last winter. I would have loved to see it assembled. It had the hubcaps, cabbage cutters and a whole pile of fancy do-dads. Every nut and bolt was bagged and labeled. I shouldn’t have let that one get by me.
        ------------
        Steve
        AMCA #7300

Comment

Home-made one-off accessories are priceless.

Wouldn't "period" accessory judging dismiss them as a fault?

"Period Anything" is ridiculously un-judgeable.

After all, Rats Rule anyway.
          I want to be refused entry into Rat Class.

....Cotten
          AMCA #776
          Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

All right, how about this one? I have an original 1929 chief that was purchased used by my great uncle in 1933. I also have original documantaion from the dealer saying that he put on heaver spokes, used speedometer and a few other small items. It has also been pointed out to me that it has an early 30's headlight too. Would this be judged as an original or Period Modified??
            20scout

Comment

Misinterpretation I believe

The Period modified class so it is doesn't get judged as said above with the 100pt system. It is as I believe a judges choice favorites, The ones I've seen have ranged from fully accessorized Motorcycles to the racer, or 60-70's Customized Motorcycles. Intersting group of Motorcycles. Any Motorcycle 35yrs or older I believe can enter the Period Modified Class. The competition is well done. Keep ridin them...Merlin in Pa.

Comment

Those quakers make steaks and wings and sell lots of other good stuff to drink and eat. Don had a fine selection of pretty cool stuff. Now the period modified is for really different stuff like the easy rider bikes.It doesn't follow the point system of standard judging. If you could buy the stuff for the Indian that was available from the dealer at the time of the sale it should be ok. We have had discussions about this during judges meetings. The standard is if it was available prior to that time the dealer may have it as a choice when ordering. The bike that is original should be just that, not anything more or less. Denise

Comment

Would This Be Period Modified

Originally posted by Magic View Post
                  The Period modified class so it is doesn't get judged as said above with the 100pt system. It is as I believe a judges choice favorites, The ones I've seen have ranged from fully accessorized Motorcycles to the racer, or 60-70's Customized Motorcycles. Intersting group of Motorcycles. Any Motorcycle 35yrs or older I believe can enter the Period Modified Class. The competition is well done. Keep ridin them...Merlin in Pa.
                  So just curious my top fork clamp has been "modified" on my 30 vl as shown in the picture attached........am I good?
                  Attached Files
                  Chuck
                  AMCA Member#1848

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck#1848 View Post
                    So just curious my top fork clamp has been "modified" on my 30 vl as shown in the picture attached........am I good?
                    Period modified is a peoples choice award. Not part of National Judging.
                    Be sure to visit;
                    http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
                    Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
                    Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

I'm mistaken

Now that I think about it I remember something like that where the people chose on paper ballots or something like that..I'm mistaken.... what do the people know anyway :-) Merlin in Pa.

Comment

period stuff

Originally posted by 20scout View Post
                        All right, how about this one? I have an original 1929 chief that was purchased used by my great uncle in 1933. I also have original documantaion from the dealer saying that he put on heaver spokes, used speedometer and a few other small items. It has also been pointed out to me that it has an early 30's headlight too. Would this be judged as an original or Period Modified??
                        this is an easy one. You mention a RE-purchase of a '29 model in '33. Aparently the docuementation is from the USED bike dealer. Original Judging is most difficult, as it requires the bike to be of, and maintained as, an original. Condition is of utmost importance, but not as much as correctness, and originality of ALL parts and components. The only variance is for "consumable" or wearable items; things that are disposable, or commonly replaceable; tires, rubber goods, light BULBS, leather belts.......things of that nature. Generally, updates, and improvements, especially way beyond the period of the bike, are discounted.
                        Yes, this is a fierce catagory, but the overall out-come is to provide a REFERENCE for future restorers!!!!!!!!! This is the ultimate goal; to PRESERVE the essence of the machine for reference. Apart from this, and just as important, and perhaps sometimes more appreciated; are period modified bikes. Bikes that tell the story of being used for generations, bikes that have been field repaired, or modified for thier essential uses. Without the likes of Kevin V. and Richard O. these catagories would have been dismissed. Now they are recognized, and definately gaining in acceptance and popularity.
                        Just because a certain 1928 machine may have been updated with a '32 headlight back in the day, does not dismiss this piece into oblivion. Granted, it may confuse future generations looking for docuementation on a restoration, but it's still part of history, and should be honored (which it is), but, BUT, it must be seperated from the referance archieve for CORRECT year of manufacture restoration, which is the embreyo of all we do.
                        Therefore, I declare that all of us should at least have a perfect restored version of our favorite bike, an original paint version, and a period modified edition. Actually, why stop there. Why not a modern, up-to-date, improved version also? A bike for every mood is what I say!
                        RF.

Comment

Originally posted by T. Cotten View Post

....Cotten
                          Now that I would like to see! Is your dirt period correct???
                          Cory Othen
                          Membership#10953

Comment

Originally posted by c.o. View Post

....Cotten

Now that I would like to see! Is your dirt period correct???
                            Quaternary Period; Pleistocene Epoch:
                            "glacial loess"

All Midwestern machines MUST display aeolian deposits, and Midwestern hill-climbers MUST display compaction of said deposits....

....Cotten
                            AMCA #776
                            Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

If you want to really challange yourself, keep the bike period correct to the models end of production year. So that would mean only parts, accessories available to that specific year and earlier and be able to prove it thru motorcycle magazine accessory ads, after market manufacturers catalogs, Dealer accessory/parts books that are dated NO LATER then your bikes given year.

No brownie points for your effort, just self satisfaction that you did it and likely proving to your wife and friends that you probably realy are nuts. Hrdly

George
                              #3232[/QUOTE]

Wise words.

Even though you don't get Brownie points, you do get to keep some of your 100 points.

Anybody know how many Brownie points Pixie Sticks are worth ?
                              William McClean
                              AMCA # 60

Comment

From all the points of view offered here, I can easily say that not even one of the folks that I have heard calling their bikes “period correct” have been correct. Thanks to everyone for helping me with my continuing education about theses old machines.
                                ------------
                                Steve
                                AMCA #7300

Comment

Working...
                                X