HELP WANTED ! 12 hd beltdrive single

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HELP WANTED ! 12 hd beltdrive single

Hello fellow enthusiasts, I am putting the finishing touches on my 12 hd & was needing some info.Anyone have the mathmatical equasion for figuring belt length. Any tips from the wise on this subject would be greatly appreciated. Thank You Carl / Pusherman Racing

http://www.durabelt.com/beltlengthcalculator.php
    A leather belt on flat pulleys should be one of the easier examples to figure out. I found this by googling belt diameter calculate. (I don't use a belt ...preferring suspenders.) ...bill in oregon
    Bill Gilbert in Oregon

Comment

1912 hd suspender drive !!

Well you were correct, I went to my grandfathers war chest & got one of his suspenders & put it in on my bike. It goes 50 MPH now, I calculated this with my Timex. Best of all, I took the stretch out of it, by adjusting the clasp !!!This is the Hot set up boys! See you on the track!
      All joking aside,thank you for the reply & info !!! Carl

Comment

and here I've been using panty hose.............no wonder I always come in last place!!
        Cory Othen
        Membership#10953

Comment

carl

this idea may help - I took some strips if thinner cardboard cut it to strips and stapled together lengthwise till I got the correct length. then took it to the leather shop for cutting of the leather

it seemed to work on my excelsior

aka HAWG

1914 excelsior
          1940 indian military chief
          1965 xlch sportster
          1971 bsa chopper
          1914 EXCELSIOR BELT DRIVE SINGLE
          1914 excelsior belt drive single carcuss
          1940 indian chief military
          1965 sportster xlch
          1969 sportster xlch bobber
          1971 bsa A65 chopper
          1969 harley ss350 sprint
          1960 harley topper
          1963 harley topper
          H model whizzer on cheiftain bicycle
          H model whizzer on schwinn bicycle
          1949 harley model 125 bobber project
          1959 harley model 165
          1960 harley super 10
          1974 indian 70cc dirt bike
          EXCELSIOR - ALWAYS MAKES GOOD

Comment

I use a tailors tape to do the inside measurements. You mark the old belt at one point. This is where you sart the tape. Walk the tape, using to hands and fingers all along the diameter, keeping the tape flush to the inside of the belt as you go. Once you reach the mark again. you have your indise measurement. Buy a good tape though. A cheap Asian tape is off a mile. I checked my tape against a 24" machinist scale. Take the tape with you to your belt suppliers. Measure theirs to match. This type of measuring works on all types of belts, as long as you know to get the correct pitch for v belts, or correct teeth for cogged belts. Flat belts are easiest to measure this way. Paps

Comment

Leather belt

Interesting information in the above posts. Does anyone sell the finished belts?
              The only place I've seen them is Comp. Dist. Catalog. He shows them for 1910 to 11 and
              1912 to 14.Has anyone ever used these, do they fit ok??? Thanks Rod

Comment

Help Wanted

Hello Gents,I was kind of thinking along the lines of : Let's pull the rear wheel forward to 0, pull back your belt tensioner lever to the last notch, then measure your belt with a flexible tape ( tailor / vinyl contractor ) along all of your pulleys. Then you should subtract : ( stretch factor) keeping in mind how much give you should alow for engine idle while belt is disengaged,etc.
                I have heard of belt stretch problems from other members.I was hoping to find the formula to build a belt or order one without doing it twice.Anyone with tesimony on Lonniepop belts ?? Thank You All..Carl-513 407 2575

Comment

Half of the diameter of both pulleys + shaft center to center times two = belt length. Would I lie to you. As the freandly A/C man thats how we do it in the field. This is a good item to keep around.
                  AMCA #3149
                  http://www.thegoodoldmotorcyclepartscompany.com

Comment

Working...
                  X