X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2009 Honda Hoot Cancelled

Honda Hoot 2009 Cancelled due to Economic Uncertainty

12/19/08 - Torrance, CA:

American Honda announced today that the 2008 Honda Hoot will bring to a close 15 years of what has been one of the most successful motorcycle rallies in history. Over the years, almost a quarter of a million guests attended the Honda Hoot which was born in the hills of Asheville, North Carolina and eventually moved to Knoxville, Tennessee.

At the first event, a little over 3000 attendees enjoyed what would grow to become one of the largest rallies in North America. (This years event had 77,000 visitors attend)

The Hoot set new precedence for what a motorcycle rally should be, offering not only a wonderful opportunity to test ride new products but also focusing on family fun and growing the industry from the ground up. Based on the current economic crunch which may have significant impact on our customers during 2009, American Honda will take this time to seek out new and innovative ways to engage with our customers so that we can continue to ride together.

American Honda extends our deepest gratitude to the more than 1300 volunteers who helped make the Honda Hoot a success and to all our event sponsors, to our two host cities, Knoxville, TN and Asheville, NC, and especially to all the good people who helped make the Hoot such a great event.

Sad to hear, as a bunch of the CBX crowd were going to make a presence there for our 30th birthday of the CBX.

But, as it turns out, AMA has invited us to share the spotlight at Vintage Daze with the '69 Honda CB750. Cool. I am lucky enough to have both.

Comment

Economic uncertainty? ??

I would think that 40+ mpg events concerning motorcycles would be the LAST thing to be affected by the economy.

Comment

I heard Honda sales were down 41%......Now I think that tells us whose "Economic uncertainty" they were talking about.
        Louie
        FaceBook >>>Modern Antique Cycle
        Blog Site >>> http://louiemcman.blogspot.com/
        YouTube >>> LouieMCman

Comment

In lay person's terms........... The budget got cut!

Comment

A bunch of events have been cut this year.
            Moto Giro in Ca.
            The Legends Show in Ca.
            Hoot
            Broadmoor or Rocky Mountain Concours.

Most rely heavily on sponsors.

Comment

Self-supporting events

Quote:
              Most rely heavily on sponsors.

A number of events actually make money! Honda should be able to run this thing in the black. The last thing an economic downturn needs is a business cutting down on activiites. Honda Hoot provides a boost to the local community and to the motorcycling industry. If everyone acts like Honda and stops spending, then we will be heading for a recession/depression.

Come on, Honda, show some confidence!
              George Tinkham
              Springfield, IL
              www.virmc.com
              AMCA # 1494
              1941 Indian 841
              1948 Indian Chief
              1956 H-D KHK
              1960 CH
              1964 BMW R69S
              1966 Honda Touring Benly (aka "150 Dream")
              1984 Moto Guzzi V65Sp

Comment

Just another big Corporation slashing programs/sponsorships to keep more money in their pockets. Nothing new about that. Hrdly

Comment

If you go on a Honda Goldwing site and listen to the vendors tell their side of it........
                  * Vendor fees out of site.
                  * Consumers pissed about having to pay big $$ to enter these roped off vendor areas.
                  * Consumers mad because they are not able to get a lower price then buying off the web.
                  * Dealers cannot offer a cheaper price because they are strapped paying vendor fees, gas, hotel, salaries to staff to attend.

In the end it sounds like Honda figured out not enough vendors would/could come to cover the cost.
                  JU

Comment

A shame you know the old saying.........You meet the nicest people on a Honda !!!

Comment

JU
                      You are dead on the real reason. I live in Knoxville and (of course) have attended all the "hoots" since they have been in my home town. I can say without reserve that they have progressively been less and less participation from the vendors. I remember the first year the "hoot " came to Knoxville it was a massive event. Almost every major motorcycle company was there with Demo rides. The Big 4 from Japan plus Triumph,Aprilla,BMW,Buell,and even Victory. Last year was Honda only and mainly just their line of Crusiers. And as for the Vendors,it seemed there were more with cookware,jewelry,sunglasses, and "sham-wow" than with motorcycle stuff. I'm sure the people that had traveled to Knoxville for this event were very dissapointed. (compared to previous years). I sure Honda was looking for a way out of Knoxville so they played the "Economy Card".

Comment

Originally posted by rousseau View Post
                        And as for the Vendors,it seemed there were more with cookware,jewelry,sunglasses, and "sham-wow" than with motorcycle stuff.
                        Ha-ha...... The feedback to that stuff was priceless!

Comment

Working...
                        X