X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Schickel motorcycles

Stumbled across an interesting link on the vinagent blog;
    http://www.schickelmotorcyclehistory.com/home.html

Even if not an Schickel owner there seems to be loads of periodic photos from an early motorcycle factory and other interesting information in this book.

Kind regards
    Sverre
    Norway
    And then there is the idea that we are here on earth to get a certain amount of things done before we die.
    This is a great theory.
    If it is true, I am so far behind that I will never die...

AMCA-3489

Schickel book

I read this book and it is excellent. The author is a descendant of the inventor/manufacturer and draws on family documents and photos to really flesh out the story. You could fill shelves with Harley and Indian books, but there are very few comprehensive and well-written histories of the more obscure makes. This book is well worth reading and will give the reader an enhanced insight into the very early years of motorcycling.

Comment

Originally posted by rbc View Post
      I read this book and it is excellent. The author is a descendant of the inventor/manufacturer and draws on family documents and photos to really flesh out the story. You could fill shelves with Harley and Indian books, but there are very few comprehensive and well-written histories of the more obscure makes. This book is well worth reading and will give the reader an enhanced insight into the very early years of motorcycling.
      Sounds like a worthwhile addition to ones library. Books based on original documentation are the best. Schickel is interesting being a 2-stroke which was not the norm, and it was rather handsome too.
      Herbert Wagner
      AMCA 4634
      =======
      The TRUE beginnings of the Harley-Davidson Motor Co.

Comment

Schickel

I originally used this picture for test posting, but thought I would post it here for those that didn't see it.

This was Bob McClean's Schickel that Willie G. and a friend are looking at. I took the picture sometime in the mid 80's at the Woodstock, IL meet.
        Attached Files
        Bruce Keith
        AMCA #1467

Comment

As I recall, Bob found the Schickel in a chicken coop in either Rock Island or Moline. The chickens hade been evicted a long time ago and it was under a tarp. He got it from the original owner who bought it new and rode from Pennsylvania to Illinois and parked it in the chicken coop. This is the stuff dreams are made of ! Bob was delighted that the Tank badgeing was in fine enough shape to faithfully reproduce the logo.

The fuel tank has a storag area in the middle. At the bottom of this large tool box about { about 5 " diameter } there is a large hex nut that nuts up to the Cylinder head. There are sockets at both ends of the fuel tank for the frame members to insert. The Fuel tank and the the motor are both stressed members of the frame.
          William McClean
          AMCA # 60

Comment

schickle

don't want a pickle just want to ride my motorschickle. sorry just had to do it.

Comment

Schickel bike

Bob McClean's 1913 Schickel is now part of the Schickel Collection owned by Joan & Patrick Cullen of Cattaraugus, NY and is featured in Chapter 5 of "The History Of The Schickel Motorcycle". Bob's efforts in preserving Schickel Motorcycle history is deeply appreciated.

Comment

Working...
              X