• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wood Daytona auction cancelled

see: http://www.jwoodandcompany.com/
    Geoff Ringlé

Economic downturn

Oh My! It seems that those who have added vintage bikes to thier portfolios, don't want to sell untill they can be assured of an adequate return on thier investments.
    Doug.
    Doug McLaughlin #6607
    NorCal, USA

Comment

Just another sign of the tough times we are in,lets all hope it does not last long !!!

Comment

I agree to hope the tough times don't last long. But in the meantime, I paid $1.52 a gallon for gas, just yesterday. Maybe parts prices will decline with it ? Paps

Comment

Saturday

I believe Jerry had moved the auction day to Saturday, for some reason. I always attended on Friday. Saturday was a travel day for me. It is moot now, but does anyone know why he was changing the day?

Comment

Daytona is a shadow of it's former self. The police crack-down at the Volusia Fair Grounds back in the early 90's caused a pivotal change in quality of that once incredible swap meet. A lot of vendors swore never to return and they were true to their word. Of coarse the biking world changed with the influx of new Harley riders and the alluring "edgy" side of Daytona took on a more Disney like personality. I think a lot of people are just skipping Daytona now, and have been for the past 10 years. Although Spider's Swap Meet was pretty good at Biketoberfest this year.
            Eric Smith
            AMCA #886

Comment

The whole Daytona thing has changed so much I used to go and have lots of fun,then something happenend..it got to big and the main intent was lost,the people caused alot of what went wrong and lets face it you can get parts,just not antique parts just about anywheres now !! I also think GREED (the whole bike week thing ) has a lot to do with it ! Jerry is an awful nice person and I remember going to other Auctions he has done,like Glenn Hartzells Indian Reservation after his passing,always a class act,Jerry will reinvent the wheel and more auctions will take place or as has been MCs will change hands discretely though word of mouth and E-Bay and of course through the club!! Everything has a begining and an end I guess it is just the way it goes,I hope that the end is only for a short time !! REMEMBER BIGGER isnt always BETTER

Comment

A quick look at ebay will tell you that motorcycle prices are not getting soft. I have seen this with past recessions. Motorcycles are an addiction, and high prices will not go away because money is a bit tight. I have a few friends in their 60's and 70's and they are as passionate about old bikes as kids in their 20's. This hobby is still very solid.
                Eric Smith
                AMCA #886

Comment

The only reason I used to go to Daytona was for the Volusia Swap meet. Since it went to nothing I don't bother. I can pay exorbitant motel rates, fight heavy traffic and crowds of people without crossing the country.
                  Be sure to visit;
                  http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
                  Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
                  Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

Working...
                  X