Daytona and other race results from the past

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Daytona and other race results from the past

I was wondering if anyone knows of a source (published or otherwise) of race results for significant races from the distant past? I have an uncle that raced his Ford at Daytona in the late 30's and early 40's, and I was able to find an out of print book (High Speed at Low Tide) that had stories and results from the first to last "Beach Races". I was able to find his results, and he was pretty excited to see his name in print. As my other uncle (now deceased) raced Harleys at Daytona Beach during the same period, I would like to see what I can find of his results. My cousin has tons of his trophies, but am looking for race results. The old Enthusiasts seem to have win-place-show results, but nothing further. Interestingly enough, my "Ford-driving" uncle said that on his way back to Jacksonville from Daytona after the auto race on Saturday, he would pass my uncle going the other way on US 1 for the Sunday motorcycle 200. I guess, if nothing comprehensive exists, maybe I could get ambitious and do some newspaper archive diving and generate something and share it.
    Vic Ephrem
    AMCA #2590

Originally posted by 40 Nuck View Post
    I was wondering if anyone knows of a source (published or otherwise) of race results for significant races from the distant past? I have an uncle that raced his Ford at Daytona in the late 30's and early 40's, and I was able to find an out of print book (High Speed at Low Tide) that had stories and results from the first to last "Beach Races". I was able to find his results, and he was pretty excited to see his name in print. As my other uncle (now deceased) raced Harleys at Daytona Beach during the same period, I would like to see what I can find of his results. My cousin has tons of his trophies, but am looking for race results. The old Enthusiasts seem to have win-place-show results, but nothing further. Interestingly enough, my "Ford-driving" uncle said that on his way back to Jacksonville from Daytona after the auto race on Saturday, he would pass my uncle going the other way on US 1 for the Sunday motorcycle 200. I guess, if nothing comprehensive exists, maybe I could get ambitious and do some newspaper archive diving and generate something and share it.
    What was your Uncle's name? If he raced in the 200 mile event I have Don Emde's book "The Daytona 200" and can look up the records.
    AFJ

Comment

I have nearly a full set of the "American Motorcyclist" in which race results were always published so let us know his name and either Al or I can help.

Comment

Hey guys ... thanks for the offer. His name was Freddie Ephrem, from Jacksonville, FL. He raced Harleys in the late 30's to early 40's, and then went in the Army for the duration of the war. I think he raced some after the war as well. He's also in the AMA Hall of Fame. I'll look for Emde's book now that I know it's out there. I assume it's out of print, but can probably locate one on the internet. I only have a couple "Motorcyclist" mags from that period.

Again, much appreciated.
        Vic Ephrem
        AMCA #2590

Comment

Just noticed that Don Emde productions has come out with a 2nd edition of the book, and it's available for $29 + s/h ... it has the entire contents of the 1st edition (1991) plus updates for the races since then. If you have a first edition, it looks to be worth a good amount as I found several online book sellers asking between $189 and $299.
          Vic Ephrem
          AMCA #2590

Comment

I've looked in my copy of Emde's Daytona book and no mention of Ephram in the indexed alphabetical list of finishers

Comment

Thanks, Barry ... interesting. I'll do a little more research with my cousin.
              Vic Ephrem
              AMCA #2590

Comment

Working...
              X