No announcement yet.

Calling All Machinists @ Indexing Head!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Calling All Machinists @ Indexing Head!

I just got this Kearney & Trecker indexing head and have a few questions
    1. What model is this?
    2. Are plates brand specific or interchangeable?
    3. What do the numbers on the plate mean?
    4. What is a fair price for a plate?
    Yes I do intend to get a manual, but need to know the Model Number.
    Attached Files

A dividing head is a great tool. I use one all the time on my small mill. As a matter of fact, there is one mounted and trued up on my table right now. You can make hex stock, index an even hole pattern for wheel hubs and do complex profiling for unusual shaped parts. Looking at your index plate, I can tell you that it wouldn't work on mine. I think index plates are pretty much brand specific.

The holes are on a radius and increase in number as the radius gets bigger. A machinist's handbook will have a dividing head chart that will tell you what hole count to use and how many turns of the crank you need to make to produce a required number of divisions.

Is Kearney-Trecker still in business? If they are, I'll bet they aren't making dividing heads. multi-axis CNC mills and lathes put dividing heads into the same pile as buggy whips and VCRs. You could probably adapt any index plate to work as the principal of operation doesn't change.
    Eric Smith
    AMCA #886

Comment

I forgot to ask. Do you have a three or four jaw chuck for it. That makes them a lot more useful than having to use collets.
      Eric Smith
      AMCA #886

Comment

What you see is what I've got so far. I don't have a chuck yet, and all my collets are R8. I bought this for a hit and miss engine powered tractor using 48x12 lugged steel wheels with the center hub shown in the picture. Finding a pair of axles to use closer than 1000 miles away hasn't happened, so I may spline a pair myself.
        I did find 3 plates on ebay for $180 (one of which I already have) and wondered if that was a fair price for such things. I also found a bunch of plates for sale on a machinist's forum for $5-$15, but I haven't been able to get through their registration procedure to inquire about them.
        It's good to hear from you again. I haven't been here for a while, but you helped me quite a bit with my 45 project which I intend to post pictures of soon. I may rattle your cage again once I try to use this indexer.
        Rex
        Attached Files

Comment

I see that you will need to make 6 divisions on your shaft. You will need an index wheel that has a "39" hole circle. To make 6 equal divisions you will turn the crank 6 and 26/39, which will make a 60 degree move. You do that 6 times and you'll have 6 equal divisions. It's possible you have the right index wheel now and if so, you may not need other index wheels. For divisions of 2,4,6,8,10 you can have any index wheel mounted.
          Eric Smith
          AMCA #886

Comment

The head is 40:1 ratio, the plate is 21 23 27 29 31 33. .

Comment

My previous post was wrong. You must have an index wheel with 39 holes to do 6 divisions. You can do 2 4 8 and 10 with any wheel.
              Eric Smith
              AMCA #886

Comment

At least I'll know what to ask for when I need it. Know anybody who can tell me what Model this is so I can get a Manual?

Comment

Working...
                X