X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Indian Tradegy

G'day everyone.

You need to look at this video. It's enough to make you cry. I won't post
    details, but it involved a dear friend of mine and they didn't do anything wrong. One of those things. It happened a few weeks ago in Finland.

Check your fuel lines!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p-kCR6bH7gs

Best wishes.

Ken.
    Last edited by Baytown; 08-20-2008, 06:55 AM.
    Ken Kemp
    Nth Queensland
    AUSTRALIA
    Member # 8756

47 Chief
    2006 BMW K1200S
    Getting seriously interested in Vincent
    2010 Can Am Spyder RSS (The Wife made me do it!)
    SYM 125 Scooter

Your right Ken. That is sad enough to make one cry. I can only imagine the owners pain in watching his baby burn like that. I'll be looking at my fuel lines today, you can bet on that.
    ------------
    Steve
    AMCA #7300

Comment

Burning Outfit

Best thing is that no one (especially my mate and his son) were hurt.

Jeez, I can't spell tragedy either!
      Ken Kemp
      Nth Queensland
      AUSTRALIA
      Member # 8756

47 Chief
      2006 BMW K1200S
      Getting seriously interested in Vincent
      2010 Can Am Spyder RSS (The Wife made me do it!)
      SYM 125 Scooter

Comment

In California it is illegal to use copper and a fuel line. Yet it seems that every Indian I see had copper fuel and oil lines on it.
        Be sure to visit;
        http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
        Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
        Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

The film says it all !

Our hearts are with You, Brother!!!!!!!!!!

Hard times don´t last but strong people do.

J and K

Comment

Ouch!!!

Chris... I saw quite a few harleys at Dinlkesbuhl AMCA meet with copper fuel and oil lines.

I won't use it.

As a matter of fact, I have been working on my WLA just this past weekend just to stop a pesky fuel seep that always bothered me.

George
            George Greer
            AMCA # 3370

Comment

Hot Chiefs need to carry convenient fire extinguishers

Another Vintage Iron Rider member and I have had our Chiefs burn under us. You got that right -- we were on the bikes when the fires started. One fire was caused by a split in the soldered seam of a gasoline tank. The other was caused when the bike was run without muffler and exhaust pipe (header only) + only the left tank had a fuel line connected + the right tank had gasoline in it. The vibration of the engine caused the spigot on the right tank to turn open, which allowed raw gasoline to run down the side of the bike. Without an exhaust pipe, the header was shooting ~8" flame when the trottle was closed. It looked "cool" until raw gasoline hit 8" of flame. Then, it got quite hot.

Both Chiefs survived the baptism of fire.

I still have copper gasoline and oil lines. I have had a seam split whilst on a run and experienced raw gasoline hitting a hot engine. Fortunately, there was no fire that time.

Every now and then, I see a horrifically expensive small fire extinguisher for either a Harley or an Indian on e-bay. Does anyone know where a reasonably priced fire extinguisher can be found that one could mount in a convenient place on a motorcycle?
              George Tinkham
              Springfield, IL
              www.virmc.com
              AMCA # 1494
              1941 Indian 841
              1948 Indian Chief
              1956 H-D KHK
              1960 CH
              1964 BMW R69S
              1966 Honda Touring Benly (aka "150 Dream")
              1984 Moto Guzzi V65Sp

Comment

Every now and then, I see a horrifically expensive small fire extinguisher for either a Harley or an Indian on e-bay. Does anyone know where a reasonably priced fire extinguisher can be found that one could mount in a convenient place on a motorcycle?[/QUOTE]

Those are carbon tetrachloride extinguishers. Now illegal in most places as they are a really bad carcinogen. Breathing the fumes can cause cancer.
                eBay sellers always list these brass extinguishers as being Harley or Indian. If you look in the old H-D Accessory Catalogues you will see that extinguisher. When you read the description of it the first word you see is CHROME. Those brass ones were sold in hardware stores ETC. and were not a Harley-Davidson accessory. I don't know what the Indian people sold.
                Be sure to visit;
                http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
                Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
                Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

Originally posted by Coolbreeze View Post
                  Every now and then, I see a horrifically expensive small fire extinguisher for either a Harley or an Indian on e-bay. Does anyone know where a reasonably priced fire extinguisher can be found that one could mount in a convenient place on a motorcycle?
                  I favor the Halon extinguishers although I have not had to use one. I keep a 10 or 15-pounder in the middle of my garage floor. I favor these over the powder types as you do not have to clean up powder afterwards, and it won't be sucked into the engine.
                  Problem is, if you have continued gas flow and a source of spark, you will be fighting the ongoing fire. There is a limit.
                  Bill Gilbert in Oregon

Comment

I thought they banned Halon ? I saw the stuff do its' job before. It works well. Paps

Comment

I had a 1969 FL that I got from Bruce Palmer. It was a wonderful motorcycle that took me all over the Southeast, however, towards the end of our relationship some sort of bad voodoo kicked in and we had two bad accidents and a fire that spelled splitsville for our riding days. I will take responsibility for the fire but a friend of mine really was the cause. He had a bike shop and when he saw that I didn't have a fuel filter he said I was killing the engine by allowing abrasive grit to pass with the fuel. He was a good salesman and sold me the filter. Unfortuantely, the filter was cheap piece of crap and leaked gas which found it's way to a really hot "S" pipe. This happened on one of the 5 busiest roads in Orlando during 8:00 a.m. rush hour traffic. Talk about panic. Everyone near my flaming bike was bailing out of their car, screaming and cussing me out. The hero of the day turned out to be a burger flipper from a McDonald's who ran into the inferno with a fire extinguisher and put out the fire. Get this, after the fire was out and people were standing around in contemplation, this guy's boss chewed him out for wasting the fire extinguisher on non-McDonald's business. By the way, 28JDCA is right about powder type extinguishers, they are a mess and that stuff is corrosive too. But, any boat in a storm.
                      Eric Smith
                      AMCA #886

Comment

Originally posted by Paps View Post
                        I thought they banned Halon ? I saw the stuff do its' job before. It works well. Paps
                        http://www.epa.gov/ozone/snap/fire/qa.html#qA1
                        Guess you're right. Shows how long I've had my extinguisher. Ozone Layer concerns.
                        Bill Gilbert in Oregon

Comment

Here is a article about alternatives to Halon extinguishers.
                          http://www.ilpi.com/safety/extinguishers.html
                          There appear to be replacements for Halon-1211; Novec 1230, Halon-1508 and FE-36. I'd just contact your local extinguisher supply and recharging store.
                          Bill Gilbert in Oregon

Comment

Wasn't there a tech tip in a back issue of "The Antique Motorcycle" that said to carry a 16oz beer in you saddle bag. Shake it up, pop the top and voila an instant fire extinguisher!
                            Cory Othen
                            Membership#10953

Comment

Good tip and it was sad watching that video

The halon extingushers were excellent for protecting computer equipment as they dispersed the O2 needed to sustain fire without leaving any residue, however the people working in the area that needed to leave as well when they dumped needed O2 as well to breathe as they left. Dry Chems are ok to a point if used quickly and early on fuel spill and the fuel supply is off, and yes they leave a mess. CO2 extingushers disperse O2 as well without the mess but can push a fuel spill around by the pressure they expell. The can of beer is a good safe way of puttng out a small fire when shook up as well because of the foaming blanket laid on. Running fuel fires are a bit different and also need to be cut off from the air (O2) as well. shutting off the fuel supply first is important, if possible. Move the object...in this case it would be our motorcycle quickly as the fuel runs fast and down and burns away and fast unless more is added...hence keep moving if possible. I'm not saying riding LOL A blanket or leather jacket thrown over a fuel fire will cut off the O2 needed to sustain the fire. Hopefully not your favorite leather jacket but that's what we most often wear. There isn't a whole lot that actually can burn on a motorcycle without fuel except the seat, tires and saddlebags if any. Why did I write so much a subject like fire? It's what I do for a living and understanding one of lifes most horrible experiences makes it easy. Fire without one of the 3 parts doesn't exist. 1-O2 (air) 2-Fuel (liquid or matter) 3-heat (ignition) cut off any of the 3 it goes out. it can be overwhelming when it happens to a person. I carry a small B-C extingusher on the metal fuel line connected motorcycles I ride and hopefully never have to use them. Merlin in Pa.
                              Last edited by Magic; 09-03-2008, 09:48 AM. Reason: info left out

Comment

Working...
                              X