Harley-Museum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Harley-Museum

Has any body visited the H-D Museum? any opinoins?what do you think?
    Milw.Pirates
    Ken S., # 6457
    1926- H-D BAF-Peashooter
    1954-H-D Panhead

Originally posted by milw.pirates View Post
    Has any body visited the H-D Museum? any opinoins?what do you think?
    Milw.Pirates
    I haven't been there. I've seen lotsa pictures and a TV tour. Lotsa glass and sterile rooms with motorcycles in them. Hopefully where ever the memorablia is will be a bit more fitting to old motorcycle stuff.
    Be sure to visit;
    http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
    Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
    Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

I find it interesting as Harley didn't seem to give a danm about old bikes fifteen years ago, but yet now they have a museum? I recall our local Hd dealer not even wanting to see an antique motorycycle not all that long ago....and now???? Don't get me wrong, I am all for keeping the old bikes up and running but this seems abit two-faced with corperate HD and all. Just my opinion....
      20scout

Comment

I was there today. Very impressive!
        Here's a few photo's I took.
        http://rides.webshots.com/album/565070103gWbNnu

Comment

Originally posted by 20scout View Post
          I find it interesting as Harley didn't seem to give a danm about old bikes fifteen years ago, but yet now they have a museum? I recall our local Hd dealer not even wanting to see an antique motorycycle not all that long ago....and now???? Don't get me wrong, I am all for keeping the old bikes up and running but this seems abit two-faced with corperate HD and all. Just my opinion....
          Companies stay in business selling new products. Their jobs depend on selling new products. History is invaluable to a long standing company like HD. But it is a corporation and pet projects like museums are secondary to pleasing the shareholders (owners).
          JU

Comment

JU......you said it all. Wish that wasn't the case though. I've no problem with folks making a livin. I do have a problem with folks doing it while squashing history. Paps

Comment

I went to the museum a few weeks ago with my son. It was total bliss! Sensory overload to say the least. HD has really outdone themselves. You will be impressed. You can easily spend six hours or more so get there early and stay late.
              Dave Swanson
              1956 FLH
              1969 FLH
              1964 XLCH
              1956 KHK
              1936 VD

AMCA 11659

Comment

I understand what you're saying

Actually H-D had a musuem at the York Pa. plant over 20yrs ago or more that was part of their tour. Some of the new Business minded and yes they all should be (H-D dealers) seem to focus more on new sales and service not only because that's a majority of their business but H-D company like many other manufacturers stops making/stocking parts for their M/Cs after approx 20yrs The aftermarket businesses take over. H-D forced dealers to change their look during the 80 & 90's and then the apparel and accessory business took off which is most of their business income. Hence Dept Store dealerships rather then garage showroom store fronts. Hopefully since they took the Musuem away from my area now :-( I can make a ride across the top states soon and make a stop and look at the new one. Keep riding them, Merlin in Pa.

Comment

A bit of accidental travel got me to the Harley Museum just 6 days after it opened. Going in I had very low expectations suspecting it would be a slick marketing ploy aimed at the RUB crowd but was I pleasantly surprised. From the stunning industrial architecture to the exhibits that present not only the history but clubs, racing, technology, and lifestyle I was very impressed. Attention and homage was placed where due and even this jaded old dude learned a thing or two. Like Dave said allow at least 6 hours, you won’t be disappointed.

King

Comment

I'm guessing Michael must be away from the computer. This guy is relentless!!!
                    Cory Othen
                    Membership#10953

Comment

Backyard 10x15 workshop artifacts?

OP

Without doubt the new Museum is a wonderful "visual feast" and great place to hang out. With its huge collection of mostly authentic items and resources plus spending $50 million it can only be a magnificant display of bikes, artifacts, and images.

I just wonder what interpretation of Harley-Davidson history was used in the displays? Do we learn anything new and exciting? Whose "facts" are presented and how accurate are they? Are the "Heroes of Harley-Davidson" given any space and how much is devoted to modern "biker culture"? Was there time and effort put into basic research and new findings? Or is it the information superficial? But of course I'm somewhat biased because I've spent the past 20 years taking a fresh look at H-D history, and have found a LOT of the published stuff to be wrong.

According to news reports, there does appear to be at least one new and exciting discovery there, at least new to me. Reportedly they now have artifacts that came out of the 10x15 foot backyard workshop.

Did anyone see those artifacts?

If so, what do they consist of?

Artifacts from the company's original workshop, a 10-by-15-foot garage that sat about three miles west of the museum. "That's the part of Harley-Davidson's history that blows me away the most," [Harley spokesperseon] Lee said. "A bunch of young guys in their 20s decided to build motorcycles."

http://www.suburbanchicagonews.com/n...IVE_S1.article
                      Herbert Wagner
                      AMCA 4634
                      =======
                      The TRUE beginnings of the Harley-Davidson Motor Co.

Comment

I have heard the story that when the executive at AMF ordered the destruction of "The First Factory" that a dealer who was there picking up a motorcycle loaded the door from it in his truck. Any word on where this door may be today?
                        Be sure to visit;
                        http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
                        Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
                        Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Haynes View Post
                          I have heard the story that when the executive at AMF ordered the destruction of "The First Factory" that a dealer who was there picking up a motorcycle loaded the door from it in his truck. Any word on where this door may be today?
                          Wow, that's a good story that I hadn't heard before! Hopefully it's true. Sort of like getting a piece of the stable in Bethlehem, and not the town in Penn. either. Tragic that a shrine like that, which had been treasured for so many decades, was stupidly scrapped.

There was also a name-plate on the shed telling what it was. I'll bet money somebody also grabbed that baby. Who wouldn't?
                          Herbert Wagner
                          AMCA 4634
                          =======
                          The TRUE beginnings of the Harley-Davidson Motor Co.

Comment

"My heavens... I´ve been riding a machine built in that shed?!"

Harley-Davidson Factory,Milwaukee
                            Winter 1929-1930

http://www.bilder-hochladen.net/files/1qq5-3a-jpg.html][/url]

The Photo was taken by Mr. Paul Weyres (* 16. April 1900/† 2. Oktober 1984)
                            Germanys Harley-Davidson Factory Racer in the Twenties and Thirties.
                            http://www.harleysons.de/Paul_Weyres.htm

Regards

Fritz

Comment

If the factory museum is overseen by a professional museum curator, then the displays should be accurate. You'd think there would be no big shortage of professionals with a soft
                              spot for H-D.

Regarding boutique dealers vs old type dealers, I know this is by factory decree. Same orders that require new dealers, or new buildings for old dealers, to be located on major roads. While I don't particularly care for the atmosphere in the new boutiques, I understand the reason for it. Still, I think we were more friendly in the old days.
                              VPH-D

Comment

Working...
                              X