buffing out stainless steel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• buffing out stainless steel

anyone know the best procedure to buff out stainless steel. I have my headlight shroud is a little pitted and I want to clean it up

heading out to get a buffer and stand to work on it, what kind of pads or compound would be best
    Moose
    aka Glenn

The great Chuck Lipsky gave me my sisal wheel for stainless in 1975.
    It was eight inches in diameter then, and now it is about four and a half.

He will be missed long after that wheel finally shreds from the spindle.

The final buff should be a very hard cotton. Some felt buffs do well in between.

Patience is a virtue: Beware that too much pressure or rpm will burn the stainless, leaving a golden cast over it.

....Cotten
    AMCA #776
    Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Stainless polishing and maintenance ideas

Originally posted by Glenn View Post
      anyone know the best procedure to buff out stainless steel. I have my headlight shroud is a little pitted and I want to clean it up

heading out to get a buffer and stand to work on it, what kind of pads or compound would be best
      Glenn;
      I have numerous bikes with stainless exhausts or other parts. I typically remove all parts as it is easier than dealing with it on the machine. 1) Clean the part thoroughly with a soft rag or 00 steel wool and some enamel reducer or other suitable cleaner to remove any burnt oil, road grime, or stains. 2) If the part is pitted or deeply scratched I normally fine sand it down with an appropriate grit paper until I can wet sand it with 800 or 1000 grit paper. 3) You can use progressively less gritty polishing compnds on your wheel. I typically use red first and finish with white. 3) Finish the piece with a finishing polish for protection.

I am a devout WENOL user. It is available on the internet for around 9 bucks a tube and is superior (in my opinion) to Mothers, Simichrome etc... I've tried them all. It chemically cleans metal without wearing out rags and finger tips. Have taken really pitted and stained aluminum front forks and wet sanded them down to get rid of 30 years of what the highway threw at them...then applied a couple coats of Wenol...look better than new.

Looks like I need to get a sisal wheel and try that as well. Getting stainless done correctly will result in an almost chrome like appearance.

Steve Klein
      Steve Klein
      Collector . Conservator . Enthusiast
      American Pre-teens - 1965
      AMCA Member 12176
      Cherokee Chapter President, Editor
      www.CherokeeAMCA.org
      Steve@SteveKlein.com
      Georgetown, TX USA

Comment

Glenn

I'm a jewler with 43 years experience. So believe me when I say I've done a lot of buffing. As a jewler I have access to polishing compounds and buffs that the general public can't get. I have polished countless pieces of stainless for myself and friends. If you would like to contact me I can give you a "buffing 101". roussead@comcast.net

Comment

yes I would

p.m. sent this am
          Moose
          aka Glenn

Comment

ratz

LoL... my reply message was to short
            # 5844

Comment

Working...
            X