What Makes A Future Antique?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Hardly and friends:
    I approached Peter Heintz, our chief judge, to get his input on this one, and he responds as follows:
    "We are the Antique Motorcycle Club of America, and we are not the American two wheeled club without boundaries. What we know best and do best is judge antique motorcycles. Homebuilts and the like are cute or interesting, but have no criteria for judging, other than workmanship"
    As the saying goes, the buck stops there, for now, at least.

Pete Gagan, Prez.

Comment

Originally posted by 61 panman
      Geez Hardley,
      At first it sounded like you were buildin a Harley but after finishin your piece I realized you was buildin one of them new fangled indians.
      Doug
      Ha ha! That's funny....and how true.

I was just looking at the neo-Indian in the latest Rider mag. That new motor is such a joke. A Evo motor with camo applied. The cam cover kinda looks like the old Flying Merkel -- sort of triangular in shape.

Comment

Re: What is 'Legal'?

Originally posted by Hrdly-Dangrs
        My understanding from the last representative I spoke to at the NJDMV: 1. Motorcycle must be completely assembled and meet all current safety requirements. 2. 'ALL' receipts as well as the MSO for Frame and Motor, must be presented to the NJDMV inspector who supposedly comes out to check the bike itself. 3. If everything is in order to his/her satisfaction, some type of paperwork is given to us that we then take to our 'Local' DMV to complete the Title/Registration/Plate issuing proceedure. 4. Leaving us with one 'Owner Constructed' Legal Motorcycle.) IF ANYONE OUT THERE ACTUALLY HAS GONE THRU THIS STUFF I'D LIKE TO HEAR YOUR EXPERIENCES!
        Back in the late 70s I built a WL completely from junked parts. No title. This was in Wisconsin and not NJ -- and also 30 years ago.

I had to take the bike out to the weigh station and some DOT inspector looked it over, then had me ride it in a couple of figure 8s. Good enough. They issued me a title with the words on it: "This Vehicle Built From Previously Junked Parts."

Of course the DOT inspector didn't know the speedo didn't work (stripped fiber gear) and the fork (RL I-beam style) was "tweaked" and the bike pulled to one side. But other than that it was okay....

I imagine registering a totally home-built job would be similar.

Comment

'Antiques' Are Age Progressive

Yeah, funny, but down the rode a bit these new 'Antigues' will qualify for judging simply because they were made (READ ASSEMBLED) by their 'Factory' and sold thru some sort of 'Dealer', (READ ANY SHOP THAT CAN AFFORD ITS DEALER STATUS FEE). But they will be of the same criteria as any 'Homebuilt' built by the 'Little Guy' in his garage. Using the same off the shelf parts produced by the same manufacturers of their day. Today's 'Garage Builders' are the same type of guys who back in 1903 built 0ne single motorcycle and sold it and who's motorcycle is qualified for judging. The answer to the Question: Judge it on its merits. Against the common practises of its time. It's engineering characteristics and assmbly practises and not against any other motorcycle. And right now there are several small motorcycle DOT licensed, insured and legal companies selling future 'Antiques'. And they will be showing up down the road. Why not start setting up rules and a class to welcome the 'Homebuilt's' as well. They're not going against the older 'Factory' and 'One Off' Antiques of the Early 1900's that our Club's reveres today. They'll have their own criteria to go by. In the Age of High Dollar Factory Super Bikes that anyone with money can buy, shouldn't get them any special treatment just because he held on to it for 35 years. We are all 'Garage' Mechanics building 'Homebuilt' motorcycles that just happened to have been 'Originally' built by a 'Factory'. I'll look at those 'Restored' and 'Well kept Original' 'Heritage' Harleys with serial #'s in the 5000's and say good job. But the bikes I'll be seeking out are the one's with the small book of pictures and various notations that depict his 'Homebuilt' Harley! Judging an old bike is just one part of the AMCA. Getting guys to bring their old bike's to the club and enjoy the Friendly, Family atmosphere are another. In 25 years we'll have already been into the 'EVO" period of Harley Davidson and the Super Jap Bikes. Most all the really old bikes are going to have achieved their Jr or Senior awards and will have become so expensive as to put them up with the 'Ferrari Car owners'. Elitism is already against the Japanese and British bikes. Going to get a little boring and monotonous judging those vast amounts of 'Factory Harleys' of the Eighties. (Don't count on any of the 'New' 'Indians' being around too long either) Hell the 1 year old Victory and Aprilla Dealer down the road from my shop has already gone out of business! I Hope there's a place for these 'Homebuilt' and 'Garage Wiz' guy's in our club.....and my nephew gets to participate with his new 'Old' motorcycle...... ...Hrdly-Dangrs

Comment

Money Up Front.....Title Later

HJahn, time will tell if it's going to be easy and smooth sailing to register my bike. You know here in Jersey, if you've got a title for a 'junker' you need only to have it signed and turned over to get it updated to your name. Then you can proceed to restoring or modifying it to your liking. But when you start with just a frame and MSO, you better keep good records and receipts cause you have to completely build it before it can be turned over to the State inspector who decides if you'll get a N.J. Title to operate it. That means spending all your money and hard work up-front while all the time hoping they'll 'OK' it! Haven't met anyone yet that actually went thru the process themselves. It's always a guy who's friend did it and he did this or that and...blah..blah...blah. Seeing is believing...doing oneself is knowing.....right now I'm just hoping!..... ...Hrdly-Dangrs!

Comment

Working...
            X