Twin Cams, Hooters and Neon?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Twin Cams, Hooters and Neon?

Here's a new topic...Try not to get nauseous.

It apparently has become popular to attend "Bike Night" at a Hooters or other modern watering hole in many cities. Austin TX has several to choose from each week. I am certainly not adverse to a cold beer on a 100 degree day, a good hamburger and a perky waitperson and have attended a couple of these last summer. The parking lot is a sea of Twin Cams (2003-2008 variety) and I have never witnessed so many neon lights emitting fruity glows from beneath tanks, seats and fenders. Big inch motor, custom built billet long bikes are also in large supply. The more bling and more outrageous and expensive a paint job is...the more attention it seems to get...matters not that it will be worth 25 cents on the dollar in a couple of years.

As an experiment only this summer a buddy of mine and I decided to try to attend each Thursday night at one location and ride a Knuck or a Pan each time. There is now starting to be a small but growing group of Shovelheads, Ironhead Sporty's and an occassional Panhead. I could care less about bolt-on billet and neon lights...but it is sporting to watch the crowd eventually notice and start to get interested in 40's through 60's American Iron. There is always a young guy on a tupperware Ninja or Busa who will talk about his Uncle or Grandpa having one of those. See... someone ignited the spark in a young kid that resulted in him becoming a rider later in life.

Each generation of riders has their own interpretation of how they wish to modify their machines....but each generation should also know why they are there in the first place....because many previous generations of riders also modified their machines.

Take a chance and ride your old Flathead Indian or Harley to a local Bike Night and share some history over a cold beer and a good hamburger....I guess we were all newbies way back at one time?

Steve Klein
    Steve Klein
    Collector . Conservator . Enthusiast
    American Pre-teens - 1965
    AMCA Member 12176
    Cherokee Chapter President, Editor
    www.CherokeeAMCA.org
    Steve@SteveKlein.com
    Georgetown, TX USA

Excellent Idea! I have tried to go to our local bike night but I just can't put up with the chromosexuals and their outrageous costumes. I swear that most of them walked right out of a 1960's movie. Ugh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dick Wrner

Comment

I like riding my old iron to bikenites but I also like riding my twincam as well its nothing fancy like youve mentioned but its fun and not everyone will like old iron they need something as well I just as soon see them on a twincam HD then a Jap bike

Comment

on Occasion I do

I too occasionally will go to either a sunday breakfast run, or local bike night event with a Panhead and/or sidehack for a social time. It is interesting looking at other riders chromed out or radical customs. We all hopefully like to talk about our M/C's with inquiring people as well as I do theirs. The costumes...yes it's kinda funny but expected at any M/C event. Most people get new M/C's every few years it seems and enjoy riding something new. I like riding my 1994 Road King I bought new in March of 94 and it's still seems new to me...it has electric start :-) and hopefully will last me many more years to come. Keep riding them, Merlin in Pa.

Comment

I love pulling into a place full of $40,000.00 customs on a Knuck. Everybody stops what they are doing to come look at the old machine and the new EVO's and TC's are left behind. :-)
          Be sure to visit;
          http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
          Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
          Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

What Planet Does Chris Haynes Live On?

Originally posted by Chris Haynes View Post
            I love pulling into a place full of $40,000.00 customs on a Knuck. Everybody stops what they are doing to come look at the old machine and the new EVO's and TC's are left behind. :-)
            Chris...just jabbing you a bit...
            Here in "Keep Austin Weird" TX a Knucklehead will go totally unnoticed unless it is in front of a naked brass band. I'm telling ya....there is an entire generation of billet boyz with bolt-on accessories on everything including their lady (if they are into woman). I'm going to be vigilant and keep showing up on old iron in any event.....someone has to do it.

Klein
            Steve Klein
            Collector . Conservator . Enthusiast
            American Pre-teens - 1965
            AMCA Member 12176
            Cherokee Chapter President, Editor
            www.CherokeeAMCA.org
            Steve@SteveKlein.com
            Georgetown, TX USA

Comment

Here's a picture of two bikes belonging to members of the Viking chapter on Main street in Sturgis (see article in the current Magazine).
              When Kerry Rasmussen went to kick start the Indian the crowd was thick! He was the main event as many had never seen a cycle kick started before!!!! Of course his was stuburn and required probably 20 kicks (conservative) which egged the crowd on futher!!!

Comment

Working...
              X