Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dinkelsbuhl, Germany AMCA meet.

Hi all..

Went to my first AMCA meeting this Saturday..........Had a blast...

Got to see Peter Reeves, Steve Slocumbe, Paul Jung, Eric from BOS, Harry Hacker, but they were quite busy judging, but kinda let me tag along to see what's going on..

Also got to meet Larry Elias

Impressed with the knowledge these guy's got.

Going to be back!!

Now.........I gotta get me a knucklehead.........geeeze.........I think I just luv them engines.

George Greer
    George Greer
    AMCA # 3370

George,

Sounds like you had a great time. How was the beer?

So, if you could have any model knucklehead, which would be your first choice?
    Herbert Wagner
    AMCA 4634
    =======
    The TRUE beginnings of the Harley-Davidson Motor Co.

Comment

Originally posted by HarleyCreation View Post
      George,

Sounds like you had a great time. How was the beer?

So, if you could have any model knucklehead, which would be your first choice?
      I always love it when someone asks, what's your favorite year knuckle ? My answer is always the 1948 Panhead and then the 1939 EL.
      Eric Smith
      AMCA #886

Comment

Beer.........well, German Beer's always good!!

What year is my favorite?

Quiet honestly.......I don't know yet..

Just now, (after this weekend to clinch my decesion)....have I started to check into them.

Hopefully now that I have began my search to find info about them, I hope not to ask too many silly questions.

George Greer
        George Greer
        AMCA # 3370

Comment

George, as I understand it, the later models were more reliable. I'd settle for any year though Paps

Comment

Originally posted by exeric View Post
            I always love it when someone asks, what's your favorite year knuckle ? My answer is always the 1948 Panhead and then the 1939 EL.
            As a big Panhead fan myself who was enticed over to the knucklehead mania side of things by circumstances, that's a really nice thing to hear.

How about a rare 1949 Panhead with a spring fork? I believe that they made 'em Factory!
            Herbert Wagner
            AMCA 4634
            =======

Comment

Originally posted by George Greer View Post
              Beer.........well, German Beer's always good!!

What year is my favorite?

Quiet honestly.......I don't know yet..

Just now, (after this weekend to clinch my decesion)....have I started to check into them.

Hopefully now that I have began my search to find info about them, I hope not to ask too many silly questions.

George Greer
              I guess the beer question was a "silly" one, eh?

We are standing by to help with your decision and to assist you in any way possible. No knucklehead question is too silly. (Or Panhead either).

What do you have now? A "45" right? Anything else?
              Herbert Wagner
              AMCA 4634
              =======

Comment

Originally posted by Paps View Post
                George, as I understand it, the later models were more reliable. I'd settle for any year though Paps
                Easier to find the right parts for too. Some stuff that carried into Panhead years but different on early Knuckles.

This topic show promise....

I wonder how much George has to spend?
                Herbert Wagner
                AMCA 4634
                =======

Comment

Yep..........

42 WLA Type III...

2000 FLHTCU/I

45 Stroker bobber/custom

Looking for Knuckle engine to build.......

Ain't rich............but house and all my toys paid for.

Insert real big grin

Anybody up for 45 and K model parts to swap for good knuck engine cases??

George
                  George Greer
                  AMCA # 3370

Comment

I'm so out of touch with Knucklehead stuff but I do have a good friend who has his finger on the pulse of the K-head market. He wants to build a pre FL knuck and is willing to use some reproduction. However, he is getting nowhere. His first problem is; he's too picky. You are not going to get top drawer knucklehead stuff for panhead prices. Second; there is no good stuff out there. The good stuff is on finished bikes. Knuckleheads were THE most jerked with Harley Davidsons. Everyone did something "personal" to a knucklehead from 1936 thru the 1980's. Knuckleheads were also THE bike of choice for chopper builders so very few escaped the torch and hacksaw.

Current prices floor me. I got a somewhat stock '41 knuck back in 1975 for $800 and everyone thought I got screwed. I got another somewhat stock '37 EL for $1000 a few years later and everyone thought I was twice as stupid. I friend of mine traded a Honda 350 for a near perfect '37 EL around the same time. He traded it for a chopped pan and $500 after doing a complete and expensive rebuild on the motor. He was delighted. I passed on a chopped '46 FL basket case for $250 in 1981. I can go on and on as I'm sure everyone who's been doing this stuff for awhile can. The point being, a few years ago knuckleheads were cheap, today you can trade one for a house.

There are certain bikes that are hot ticket items; Crocker, Brough, Vincent, Knucks, and I won't even get into pioneer bikes. Pioneer bikes are truely motorcycles you might consider doing something illegal to get. The first four bikes I mentioned are overpriced and over-hyped.
                    Eric Smith
                    AMCA #886

Comment

There is a fella not to far from me who enjoys being a hermit type fellow. He probably has several knucks, not to mention his other dozens of scoots. Problem is though, convince him to sell one. I've tried. He will trade if a person has what he wants. Pc iliterate, he can't stand them. People, he avoids. Big dogs, he has many. Maybe one day he will change his mind about selling some ??? Paps

Comment

a few years ago knuckleheads were cheap, today you can trade one for a house.

I am aware that complete bike prices are crazy...I have seen several since I have started looking and learning.

Not intending on purchasing one.

Looking for a "retirement-project", for later on.

Starting with, frame....(I know where one is with German papers). Then engine.

I have time..

PAPS,,,,,,,,how about a good set of engine cases, from the hermit?

Be in Georgia in Sept..

George
                        George Greer
                        AMCA # 3370

Comment

Dear George, it was nice to see you and thanks for the nice words about our meet. We'll try and post some photos and video links later. There must have been 2-300 old bikes there, and enthusiasts from all over Europe - I counted ten different nationalities.

On your knucklehead query, I've been told the pre-1940 bikes with 18 inch wheels ride better.

Best regards and thanks for coming.

Comment

Steve.........

I will be returning next year...

Glad I got to see you guys again.

Are you going to be at Veterama this year? I will probably see you there.

George
                            George Greer
                            AMCA # 3370

Comment

George...contact me direct. Maybe...just maybe, when you hit the states again, I can set you up with him. You can convince him then. Hey ? Paps

Comment

Working...
                              X