Some Questions answered

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some Questions answered

Our new setup with the club and foundation was not the board’s idea, but that of the IRS as explained in “Wheels in Motion” in the last magazine. There certainly is no hidden plot here, nor any attempt to bamboozle the membership. It’s just that is was confusing enough for 14 of us to sort through without involving the other 10,000 members. It was by far the longest meeting we had during my tenure as your president.
    None of the good old boys, and I am one of them, dropped off the board because of this. It was just time, and getting younger people involved is a positive move. We are a growing organization, and need to move ahead. Unfortunately, if we don’t, we will eventually fade away. It has happened to other clubs like ours.
    David Lloyd, our advertising manager, and Rick Schunk, our editor, resigned of their own volition. Both are hard acts to follow, particularly Rick Schunk, who has done a marvelous job over the last 18 years, bringing the Antique Motorcycle magazine up to the standards we all appreciate today. I will miss Rick personally, and have many good memories of the times we spent together working on articles, and traveling to such places as the Barber Museum. I wish him well in his future endeavors.
    Fortunately none of us, including myself, are irreplaceable. Our new editorial team of Greg Harrison, Bill Wood, and Denny Thrush, formerly of the AMA are excited about the magazine, and will not only maintain its quality, but will continue to improve it as Rick did before them. Also, they are used to producing a monthly magazine so will have no problem in increasing to six issues when we wish to go there, which may happen before long, something our former editor would have found difficult to do. The editorial and graphics costs for our new magazine will actually be somewhat less than we have been paying.
    The new foundation board may seem somewhat elitist to some, but it is important that it have people with influence in the motorcycle community, as that what it takes to raise the sponsorship, donors, etc. that is required to make our new museum within the magnificent AACA museum at Hershey an attraction we can all be proud of, and self supporting so there is no cost to the membership.
    As to the museum, it will not be a mausoleum for old motorcycles, but will feature revolving displays of member’s machines, and a home for the AMCA. Hershey may not be near you or me, or in the centre of the country, but if you plot our membership population on the map as I have done, Hershey is at the epicenter. If you are too far away to get there, you will at least see and enjoy it in the magazine, or on this website. We plan to make it world class.
    Future plans include more meets such as Rhinebeck, hopefully in Hershey and California. We may have our own field at the AACA Hershey swap meet, and plan events at the museum.
    This is all started with about 20% of our AMCA treasury of approximately one million, much of which was accumulated before most of us were members, and so far has never been used. Its time it benefited the club in a tangible way.
    The real numbers will appear in the next magazine, with no smoke and mirrors.
    Pete Gagan

Sorry folks. Typo above. First sentence should have said not the board's idea.
    Pete

Comment

Thanks Pete,
      It’s always good to hear from you. Thanks again for filling in some of the blanks. It is a big change that should make the club some money as well.
      I for one, trust what you say that it is all for the good of the club. Thanks Again for the info. Keep us updated. -Steve
      ------------
      Steve
      AMCA #7300

Comment

Questions

The idea of motorcycles in a nat'l museum is a very good one, IMO. The questions most of us seem to have is the amount of money spent, space available, and time this money buys. All that has been said so far is it's an 18 month trial. What does this mean? It was stated in a previous post there will be a full time position as " museum coordinator" to answer questions of museum visitors and do research from AMCA owned literature. The AACA library has a very inexpensive program in which they will store literature for any club. They have skilled librarians that will do research and the literature would be stored properly. This may have cost the AMCA one or two thousand dollars a year. Was this considered? It was stated by Peter Gagan that the AMCA will "share" in the profits and expenses of the AACA museum. What expenses? And with AACA members getting free admission, is there any profit to share?

Comment

Here I sit on the other side of the world shaking my head in amazement as this saga unfolds. The board has the best possible medium, in this bulliten board, to keep the membership informed and they are extremely reluctant to use it. The only reservation I would have is that it's too public but surely that can be overcome by a members only section that is accessed by your membership number.
          In response to Pete I wish to make some observations with regard to museums and as the owner/operator of one I feel qualified to do so. Lets get it clear right from the start "Museums do not make money" they are a liability and admission charges struggle to meet the insurance and electricity charges. In February this year I had a long conversation with Sammy Miller on this very subject and he agreed wholeheartedly with me and said that he could not afford to insure his collection for it's full worth. He's like me we insure for a nominal figure and take every precaution to avoid a disaster. I'm sure Dale would agree with this too. What I am saying here is Pete's comment that the museum will be self supporting and won't cost the members anything is ok so long as who-ever is responsible to raise funds for it does his or her job but if they fall down in their endeavours you can rest assured that it will fall back on the general membership to fund it. Museums are a passion and will only generate significant returns on your investment if and when you decide to sell. If you don't own the exhibits then you have nothing to sell.
          It is disturbing that differing stories are appearing on this forum as to why good people are resigning and this only leads to uneasyness amoung the general membership as they ponder as to who is telling the truth. This is only made worse by the Boards reluctance to answer questions such as those posed by "hacksaw". They are perfectly reasonable questions and deserve an answer.
          "eric" asks why the board needed to employ a lawyer but surely with close on 12,000 members there is a lawyer or 2 in the fold and if the question had been put to the membership I'm sure someone would have stepped up to the plate and offered their services. What really surprises me is that it appears that the board never asks that great pool of 12,000 for assistance and I'm sure there are some very knowledgeable people, in all sorts of professions, that are prepared to assist and are just waiting to be asked.
          Finally I was aghast at the tone of the response by the new president on this forum and feel that if we are to have good leadership in the 21st century some form of web competency would be required and to imply that this medium was a waste of money to the club really staggers me. If the board through their president feel this medium is not appropiate and all communication to the members should come via the magazine then spend some of that money Pete said wasn't being used on air mail postage and get the magazine out there in a time span that is more appropiate to this day and age.
          For a person that said a few months back that he had had enough of the petty bickering that was going on and was out of here, this is a very long diatribe but unless some form of honesty and integrity is shown by the board our club will fast degrade into some form of secret society.

Your in motorcycling,

Peter Thomson aka Tommo
          Peter Thomson, a.k.a. Tommo
          A.M.C.A. # 2777
          Palmerston North, New Zealand.

Comment

It is my understanding that the motorcycles displayed would be AMCA member's motorcycles, rather than motorcycles owned by the Museum, which is likely the situation with the Miller museum and perhaps Tommo's (Correct me if I am in error.)

I have been involved as a volunteer official with a small motorcycle museum which is now in its 14th year of operation. It exists purely on donations and fund-raising activities as it receives no revenue from attendance fees and has to pay on a per sq.ft. basis for space in a larger museum. Its displayed artifacts and motorcycles have always been fully insured.

AFJ

Comment

Other than a 1922 Indian scout every one of the close to 300 bikes in our museum is owned by me and my wife. As far as I'm aware something like 75 to 80% of the exhibits at Sammy's museum are owned by him.
              The point I was trying to get across is that ultimately someone is responsible for the debts incurred and if the foundation can't meet those debts, then as I see it, the rank and file members are responsible for them. If they are not then a serious ammount of the clubs funds have been hi-jacked.

Tommo
              Peter Thomson, a.k.a. Tommo
              A.M.C.A. # 2777
              Palmerston North, New Zealand.

Comment

Re the split into a club and a foundation, if the IRS says "jump", your correct response is always "how high". No quibbling, gotta do it so it's a done deal.

Re the split in the treasury, a 50% split to each seems fair enough to me. Sorta like the division of an estate. Been there, done that, it's the only fair way to do it.

Re the museum endeavor, it's the old saying - "nothing ventured, nothing gained". I've been questioned in the past by prospective "joiners" about the National AMCA and inevitably am asked "Where is the Headquarters?" And, personally, in light of other clubs I've been a member of, I was always a bit puzzled as to the fact that there was not one. Now we have one, at least for our 18 month trial (which began when, I wonder). So let's support it.

Re paying the bills for the museum - based on the 501(c)3 status tax-deductible donations are accepted. Remember them at Christmas or Hannukah or Ramadan or whenever. Or before tax time.

Re the good ol' boys club, it has been my experience that 5% (or less) of the membership of any organization (religious, social, fraternal, whatever) does 95% of the work. So, join the 5% - even at the local level, start a chapter, join one, participate.

In summary, a note to the board (not an original statement on my part) - You can please some of the folks all the time, some of them some of the time and some of them none of the time. Just do the best you can.

Lonnie C. from SC
                Lonnie Campbell #9908
                South Cackalackey, U.S. of A.

Come see us at the Tenth Annual AMCA Southern National Meet - May 17-19, 2019 at Denton FarmPark, Denton, N.C.

Visit the website for vendor and visitor information at www.amcasouthernnationalmeet.com

Comment

Hey Lonnie, how about giving me half of what's in your bank account. That sounds fair to me.
                  Eric Smith
                  AMCA #886

Comment

Originally posted by Tommo View Post
                    Other than a 1922 Indian scout every one of the close to 300 bikes in our museum is owned by me and my wife. As far as I'm aware something like 75 to 80% of the exhibits at Sammy's museum are owned by him.
                    The point I was trying to get across is that ultimately someone is responsible for the debts incurred and if the foundation can't meet those debts, then as I see it, the rank and file members are responsible for them. If they are not then a serious ammount of the clubs funds have been hi-jacked.

Tommo
                    As I understand the separation into a Foundation and a separate club, the members of the AMCA would NOT be subject to any debts incurred by the Foundation. Further, I expect that the newly incorporated AMCA has been established so that the volunteer officials and the members-at-large are not liable for any debts incurred by the club.

I do think that the Museum Foundation and a visible "AMCA Museum" are likely to have considerable public relations benefits for the AMCA in the longer term. But all this will require a lot of work and effort, both by the volunteer Board and their contract staff.

I do look forward to the possibility of a much more timely "Antique Motorcycle" magazine - particularly if it becomes 6 issues per year instead of 4.

AFJ

Comment

The monthly expenses are based upon the total revenue to the museum, less the costs of running it, now a minus number as Tommo would expect, times the % share we have in it based upon our square footage. We also are percentage benefactors from the gift store which also is handling our merchandise.
                      The museum is very close to a break even at present, and will slide into the black before long, we are certain, due to the addition of motorcycles, and the HD plant just up the road who have agreed to help steer their visitors to us. The expense would then become revenue. Not every museum operates at a loss. This one will be an exception. This is due to the fact that it has a very good program in place for getting donations and sponsorship, which helps the overall picture, and the fact that Hershey is a big time tourist destination. It already has 50,000 visitors a year, without the bikes. Even Sammy Miller and Tommo don’t get that kind of action. Some of us may call them cages, but the cars draw a crowd, and they will look at bikes as well.
                      Our members won't get in for free, but will likely have a reduced rate. Any AMA member out there who has been to their museum knows you still have to pay. It helps keeps it going.
                      On the subject of more transparent leadership, believe me, this is something I always pushed for. However there are 14 board members. Whenever I came out with an idea that caused 14 blank stares, I knew it wasn’t worth pursuing at that time. There are new people on now, and such ideas are getting more response, so I’m sure there is change in the wind, but it’s up to others now. From the old school’s point of view, it was felt that if it had worked since 1954 with no problem, why change it? It’s not a bad argument if you think about it.
                      I’ll admit I have been a bit of a promoter for the museum arrangement and the Rhinebeck meet. I also believe all is for the good of the club, the telling of our history, and the enjoyment of our membership. If it turns out I’ve screwed up, you have my humblest apologies, but I think all will be well.
                      Regardless of what happens, there will still be an AMCA when we are all gone.
                      Pete

Comment

Sounds like a good plan. I heard on the news recently that Hershey may move away. Will the city of Hershey remain a heavy attraction without the chocolate focus anymore ? Paps

Comment

In regard to giving half my bank account away, I already have and my wife intends to keep it so, sorry, nothing left to give.

Lonnie C. from SC

I'll try to allow an extra day on my trip to the Jefferson meet in October to visit the museum and see what's up. Perhaps there will be a guest book that we can sign with our AMCA numver and give our opinions there for the foundation board to review.

LC
                          Lonnie Campbell #9908
                          South Cackalackey, U.S. of A.

Come see us at the Tenth Annual AMCA Southern National Meet - May 17-19, 2019 at Denton FarmPark, Denton, N.C.

Visit the website for vendor and visitor information at www.amcasouthernnationalmeet.com

Comment

Working...
                          X