The aging demographic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The aging demographic

I've been thinking about this aging demographic thing as it applies to antique motorcycles. I've been hearing about people who have been selling their old bikes because they think the hobby is running out of new, wealthy buyers, and they want to cash out while the money is good. I have three observations about this.

1. Speaking for myself, I'm still very passionate about old motorcycles and would like to get as many as I can.

2. I don't see prices going down at all. Just the opposite. So the market must be pretty healthy because I'm not getting any jaw dropping deals.

3. I know of more than a few collectors in their 70's and they seem to be as enthusiastic as teenagers about getting another bike.

4. I just thought of a 4th. If a guy is selling his motorcycles because he wants maximum return on his investment, then good riddance. . . He never was a motorcycle guy to begin with.
    Eric Smith
    AMCA #886

Excellent observations Eric! I know a few old timers with more motorcycles than I can ever dream of having and they are just like little kids around their treasured toys. This always brings a smile to my face. It's really unfortunate that our hobby has to revolve around huge dollars and cents. It puts a lot of folks that would truly treasure old bikes out of the mix. I agree if someone only puts these machines in a category of value then are they really bike people? I think not. Keeping these old machines up and running and enjoying them should be on the top of the list.

Here's a bike I found this morning. Let's hope the buyer is someone who will use it for what it was intended for. Man I wish I had the bucks to buy it!!!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...MEWA:IT&ih=007
    Cory Othen
    Membership#10953

Comment

I don't know how some people make money selling there old bikes. I only have a small hand full and am so upside down on everyone of them that breaking even doesn't seem possible to me. But that doesn't worry me a bit. When I'm pop.. pop... pop'in down the road thats all the return on my investment I need. -Steve
      ------------
      Steve
      AMCA #7300

Comment

I see some of the same things as Eric. This never was a "young" mans game anyhow. In fact if the economy wouldn't have taken such a hit here, with all the Buzz being about Bobbers and Rustoration I was figuring prices to start to climb pretty good on some of that old, cut-up stuff that was too much trouble to restore. and antique bikes and parts in general.
        Brian
        Brian Howard AMCA#5866

Comment

Bmh, Despite this econmy. The price of parts is climing rapily. It seems lately that everyone wants to get into the restore game, Bob

“Any man that forsakes freedom for security deserves neither.”
          1 800 NRA JOIN

1948 FL
          1957FL
          1960FLH
          1965 XLCH
          2006 FLHT
          Restore for life! Restore for the next generation!
          AMCA #3149
          http://www.thegoodoldmotorcyclepartscompany.com

Comment

I agree with Eric; if you even care how much $$ a motorcycle is WORTH you are probably not a 'motorcycle guy' anyways.
            http://laughingindian.com/
            http://flatheadownersgroup.com/
            A.M.C.A. Member Since 1986

Comment

I agree with your points, I've got way to much into most of my machines. Except my Henderson, people ask if their for sell? nope, my relatives say what are you going to do with em, when you get old or who you leaving em to when you pass on? I dont really care, though I would like to think I would not loose my shirt if I sold em, thats the farthest thing from my mind. I got em to have fun riding em and thats what I try to do. Lately I seem to get the biggest kick just taking one out for a weekend morning spin. Atleast their still cheap to ride around on once done or in ridding condition anyways, even with the gas prices today.
              About the age thing - do you notice numbers declining on runs? just wondering. Lots of good folks passing lately, bet we all know some in our chapters. Have to see what the future will bring, less activities or more? I know the model T clubs are loosing lots of their members and new members seem slow in coming. Just from my experiences anyway.

Comment

I have friends that are into old cars and they bring up the Model T situation to me, and try to tie it into the antique motorcycle scene. As I tell them, I think they are two different animals. I love Model T's and wish they got more respect but I think for many reasons, that car is an endangered species. I say this with the expectation of getting sucker punched but I think a majority of car guys are morons. The old guys that loved and restored old cars and layed the foundation for the modern old car scene are gone. They were replaced by "new" blood that doesn't have the same respect or attitude. The moderen car guy thinks nothing of destroying an original paint gem or a Model T. You still have the dedicated few that think like we do in the AMCA, but they must be a lonely lot.

What I'm getting at is, I think our hobby is safe because the car scene and the motorcycle scene are really, really different. I know a lot of people into car stuff and I can assure you they are completely befuddled by motorcycles. Car guys can't understand the degree of research, and detail that we go into. I'm reluctant to say it but I think a lot (not all) but a lot of car guys are very superficial and can't see much further than shiny paint and lots of chrome.

I truely believe that young people will naturally gravitate to the old bike hobby and that our club will not have to do anything special to lure them here. However, I'm glad that we have Matt Olsen plugging away on our behalf. Every motorcycle I have was made before me so it's not like I can relate to these bikes from my own youth. Motorcycles play a siren's song that none of us were able to resist. What makes us think young people today are any different.
                Eric Smith
                AMCA #886

Comment

I sometimes have to remind myself...

Hey there, I know I'm not alone either. I too enjoy the early morning Sunday ride (usually alone) with an older M/C as it's part of somesort of meditation. I also enjoy the poor weather days (No I don't!) when I'll just sit by myself and stare at a M/C like it's a piece of artwork...and they are. Most of all I enjoy taking one out into the public arena and mixing in at a party/picnic along with modern M/C's and having a long day of chat with many curious folks. I like M/C's and have never been without since I was 12yrs old. I only gotten into older M/C's because of my wrenching abilities and technical background from working in M/C shops as a teenager. The Older bikes I just felt needed to be enjoyed just as the newer ones were and not just put aside because someone felt they weren't up to par. There was always a challenge there. Personally I don't restore as of yet and like unrestored riders that don't need be. Many ask why don't I? That's easy...why should I. I've always been different when it comes to riding a shiny perfect M/C. Back to the Thread discussion... with the Number of AMCA members still rising and the meets filling up and parts selling at higher prices all the time, even the slowing economy has little effect although some when it comes to hauling parts to meets. Yes our hobby costs are rising but so is everything else unfortunately. I see younger and newer faces often and I too enjoy seeing the older then me enthuisists eyes gleam when they ride or hear a fine tuned M/C run...It's that excitability that brings people into our Sport. Keep riding them, Merlin in Pa.
                  Last edited by Magic; 05-20-2008, 08:07 AM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Like Coyboys and Indians....The antique machines will ride it out. I've never tired of either. My concerns ??? I came out of diapers to a bike. My last rides will probably see me back in diapers as well. Paps

Comment

Working...
                    X