Countdown to Oley '08

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Countdown to Oley '08

Thursday I'll be heading out to my second AMCA meet, the first one being Wauseon last year. I was hooked!! Looking forward to this, I'll be staying south of Reading Thursday night and heading over there in the morning. Hopefully I'll be able to find it Being the proverbial newbie, are there any insiders views as far as good places to eat, things to see, etc.?? I talked my father into making the trip with me, he rode an Indian 45 when he was in the service in the '50's so he's got a special spot in his heart for these old machines. He's starting to get up in years and has always wanted to see Gettysburg, so we'll be sightseeing there Saturday. Crossing my fingers hoping for good weather, I just can't wait...

Mike

Mike, hope to see you and your Father there. Ron and I will be together. Paps

Comment

Paps,

Cool, I'll keep a lookout for you guys...

Mike

Comment

Planing on leaving early friday morning from western NY should be there later in the afternoon also planing on camping there.
        Chuck
        AMCA Member#1848

Comment

the "X" is already loaded in the new trailer, camping supplies set just inside house door to be loaded after work on wednesday, heading out on the big trip early thursday morning. it is a 10 1/2 hour trip.

this is my second trip in a row to oley in the past 18 years - took a stupid vacation ( ya a 17 year vacation ) things have really changed but I am now back to stay

any forum member needing to rest their sore arms ( from haulling those parts around ) is more than welcome to stop in and rest and get to know one another

any excelsior owners are more than welcome to stop - always looking to meeting and talking to excelsiors owners past, present, and future

still looking for bits and peices to complete my 1914 single - bring one bring all your extra parts to sell

aka HAWG
          1914 EXCELSIOR BELT DRIVE SINGLE
          1914 excelsior belt drive single carcuss
          1940 indian chief military
          1965 sportster xlch
          1969 sportster xlch bobber
          1971 bsa A65 chopper
          1969 harley ss350 sprint
          1960 harley topper
          1963 harley topper
          H model whizzer on cheiftain bicycle
          H model whizzer on schwinn bicycle
          1949 harley model 125 bobber project
          1959 harley model 165
          1960 harley super 10
          1974 indian 70cc dirt bike
          EXCELSIOR - ALWAYS MAKES GOOD

Comment

I'll be staying in Denver Thursday night just south of Reading, will be heading to Oley Friday morning. I can find my way to Reading easily enough, does anyone know a good way to get over to the fairgrounds, looks like a lot of backroads? And how early can you get in?

Mike

Comment

It is all backroads. Purty country ! Oley is out of the past as well. Beautiful little Revolutionary era town. I sure hope the weather works with us. Paps

Comment

Paps,

If the current forecast holds up, it looks like we'll be blessed with great weather! I wish I was riding so I could enjoy those backroads more, oh well, I guess I'll just have to suffer & deal with Dad's new Mustang The sacrifices we make...

I just hope I'm walking better by Friday, I got in a scuffle with a grocery cart yesterday and it won, popped both my kneecaps out of place, OUCH!!

Mike

Comment

Darn Mike, That must have been a good size grocery cart to put a hurt on you. Hope your feeling some better today. Sadly, family dutys have my week end pretty much chewed up so I'm going to miss a good time. Take lots of pictures and if you or Paps see that same guy selling Linkerts this past winter, go give him a hard time for me. -Steve
                  ------------
                  Steve
                  AMCA #7300

Comment

Want me to bring along an extra cane Mike ? My electric trike is on the blink so I have to stick my way around the whole meet. I told Ron not to let me hold him back. I can see me now...vender stop...stick, stick, stick, vendor stay a while, Beer, stick, stick, stick, vendor stop, stick, stick, stick, Beer, stick, crawl, stick, crawl. Beer. Oh well...you get the picture. Maybe I better bring along my wheelchair, just in case. Arms get real tired though. Besides...how will I hold my beer ?

Those back roads are quite curvy too. Some of them are at best, 10 mph bends, at least coming in from the north, they are. I always go the north to south route from I-80. No toll roading for me.

Yeah, hope the forecast stays as it is now. Paps

Comment

I'll do that Steve! Sorry you can't make it. It is a good meet. Paps

Comment

3200 miles round trip with gas at $3.43 right now I'm not going. Have fun for me and yes, take pictures.
                        20scout

Comment

Originally posted by 20scout View Post
                          3200 miles round trip with gas at $3.43 right now I'm not going. Have fun for me and yes, take pictures.
                          $3.43..............we are paying $3.67 as of today in western new york another reason for taking the bike and sidecar there.......even if it is a little newer.

this being my first.......yep....first AMCA meet I hope to find a few items for the vl also I am considering "sticking" with Paps
                          Chuck
                          AMCA Member#1848

Comment

Steve,

Yeah, I was pushing a cart out across the parking lot when I hit a hole, I was moving along at a pretty good clip when the front wheels stuck, the back end came up and a steel bar on the back of the cart took out both my knees! Hurting a little worse today, I'll practice walking on my hands if I have to, not missing this one!

Paps,

I'm with Chuck, sounds like "sticking" might just be the way to go! Maybe I'll bring along the cane I had to buy my first trip out to Sturgis, I'll have to tell you that story some time!!

See you guys out there...

Mike

Comment

Mike,
                              The easiest way to get to the meet from Reading is to hop on hwy. 12 (Pricetown Rd.) and take it northeast to Blandon Rd.
                              Follow Blandon Rd. into Oley. Once in Oley, take a left on any one of a few streets 2 blocks to Main Street. There are signs everywhere, but the meet is off Jefferson St.
                              Pa, I still owe you a beer from last year, so I'll keep an eye out for ya'.
                              Johnny

Comment

Working...
                              X