Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rhinebeck Cut-Off Date for AMCA Members??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rhinebeck Cut-Off Date for AMCA Members??

What's the deal? Why the hell are AMCA Members being held to a 35 year Rule when I see that the Japanese club has a 15 year Rule, The truck Club has a 25 year rule and now I see by another post for chops and bikes 'Show' for pre-84??

So what is it??...What is the cut-off year for motorcycles??

I'm not about to pay an extra "gate fee" as an AMCA member so that I have the privelage of leaving my 1974 Harley parked outside the fence while I look at 15 year old Jap bikes on the in-field or a 25 Year old Pick-up truck.

Thought this was a Vintage Show??

Hrdly
    Last edited by Hrdly-Dangrs; 04-05-2008, 12:50 PM.

Rhinebeck Cut-off Date for AMCA Members??

George
    the deal is, these other organization's are invited guests, and they each have their own set of rules. The AMCA has their rules and they are in effect for the National meet part of the show.
    you must remember that Rhinebeck is something TOTALLY NEW and DIFFERENT for the AMCA. it is attempting to bring to the membership on the East Coast(with the densest population) the most attractions to make it worth the trip, also the Chapters have a plan that one of them will host a National Road Run just before or after this show, so the members can plan a full weeks worth of antique motorcycle fun.
    so by definition this IS a "Vintage Show" inside a Antique Motorcycle Club National Meet.

if What you called "an extra gate fee" bothers you, why not just step up and offer to work at the meet to help. anybody that has been invilved in the running of a national meet, knows you can NEVER have enough help.
    Kevin
    Kevin Valentine 13
    EX-Chief Judge

Comment

the deal is, these other organization's are invited guests

I thought the amca was the invited guests to the american truck historical society meet ??

Comment

Kevin, Thanks, but no thanks, Too far away to volunteer for anything, especially when I only planned to be there for a half day on Saturday. I'll pass on this show. Maybe next year when my bikes turns 35 years old. Until then there's too many other places to point the front wheel and ride to. Later, Hrdly

Comment

Rhinebeck cut-off date for AMCA members??

flthd
          last year we were the guests of the antique machinery club, this year it is OUR PARTY!
          Kevin Valentine 13
          EX-Chief Judge

Comment

You know HRDLY, it rather amazes me when I hear you eastern guys complain about the distances to Rhinebeck. It will be fabulous, and a shame to miss. I plan on being there all going well, and it will be coast to coast in my case, and on my own nickel now that I have retired as president.
            If you are concerned about getting your Harley in the gate, you could put training wheels on it, and a pickup box. Then you can park it with the trucks.
            Pete Gagan

Comment

does this mean repro bikes not 35 years old, like ohc Excelsiors etc. will also have to park outside the gate? Frank Westfall's Mike Smith repro 1912 Henderson was inside the gate last year and in the 100 year timeline.

Comment

I've been curious about the Mike Smith '12 Hen too. How does the club classify that motorcycle? I have my own opinions but I think I'll stay on the side lines for the time being.
                Eric Smith
                AMCA #886

Comment

I've often wondered about that machine and the second machine that came with it. In the January issue of American Iron, there is an article on this bike. It said that Mike Smith found these Hendersons in Northwest Canada. I'm kinda curious on a rough area that these bikes were found. It's wild that stories like this conjure up the dream of finding that oh, so rare bike in a barn!
                  Last edited by c.o.; 04-09-2008, 06:30 PM.
                  Cory Othen
                  Membership#10953

Comment

The '13 Henderson came from not too far away from me, and I knew about it as well. At around 35000 at the time, in unrestored incomplete shape, I didn't rush in too quickly. Today, its a bargain I suppose, but was going rate at the time. It did belong to a collector, and wasn't in the proverbial barn. Most of those deals are long gone.
                    Pete Gagan

Comment

I'll tell you the whole story!! I was visiting Carman Brown in Prince George as my truck had broken down in Salmon Arm ( torque converter on my brand new 89 Ford) and I had a few days to kill. Of course I wanted to see all his fours and the Crocker. He then told me how he acquired the Crocker. He was looking for a 1912 Hen and that led him to I believe Marv Olsen's place in California. The Hen was stored in a dark garage or room and when he backed up a handlebar jabbed his back and that was a Crocker! So he bought the 12 Hen and the Crocker and Marv either threw in or sold him a spare 12 Hen engine. I subsequently told Mike Smith this info and he made a beeline up there to buy the spare engine. Hey, CO, I am surprised you don't know this , you are almost neighbours to Carman and Eldon!
                      As far as being critical of Frank's bike you misunderstood. Mike Smith was an artist and the bike is beautiful. The point I was trying to make was in reference to an original ( I haven't seen this bike) 1974 Harley not being allowed in but a 90% repop being ok, I think the 35 year rule should be changed, it's too archaic.

Comment

Badgers

Some of us Badgers will be at Rhinebeck and the road ride prior to it.Its got to be 1200 miles each way---we'll bring the Wis.cheese.Johnny-Milw.

Comment

Awesome! Thanks for the clarification! So the Henderson was from Canada via California eh? As far as knowing about the story............I guess I gotta get out more. Getting to Carmen and Eldon's for a tour has always been on my list of things to do. One thing's for sure they are a lot closer to me than you are Barry and I've been to your place and not theirs????? Figure that one out.............. I have seen some of their bikes including the Crocker at the Reynolds Museum in Alberta. On that note I guess I should quit hi-jacking the Rhinebeck thread..............
                          Cory Othen
                          Membership#10953

Comment

God Willing I'll Be There. It Sounds Fantastic. My Two Great Passions ,old Bikes And Old Trucks All Rolled Into One. Nirvana!!!! Thanks For Your Efforts.

Comment

I don't want to buy a vending spot to get my bike in, I don't want to volunteer for work to get my bike in, I don't want to enter a bike show, I don't have a week, I don't have a weekend, I have one day to see Rhinebeck this year. That would be on Saturday.

Fair weather prevailing, I intended to ride up to the show for a half-day. But if I can't 'RIDE' my 'orignal' 1974 XLCH Sportster 'two-up' with my wife and go thru the gate and park alongside fellow AMCA members bikes at a 'MULTI-CLUB' show that will allow a 1992 jap rice rocket on the grounds, then like I stated earlier, I don't care to have to pay extra at the gate for the privalege of leaving my bike outside the fence with the spectators.

If my AMCA 'membership' requires me to adhere to the 35 year rule at this show then **** it, I'll go somewhere else this year. I Really don't care. Life's too short for this kind of bullshit. Hrdly

Comment

Working...
                              X