No announcement yet.

Wheels Through Time Closing/Moving

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It sounds unfortunate that he is going to disband it, but of course his right. Here is an article that I ran across that sheds some light on the subject.
    http://www.smokymountainnews.com/iss...ler_reece.html

Comment

Haywood County Tourism Development Authority

i say bombared them with email for support of the museum , even though it is relocating maybe they'll realize they screwed up by not supporting it . tell 'em your location to . Email: hctda@smokeymountains.net http://www.smokeymountains.net/

Comment

This is all really a shame. I'd have to travel quite some distance to see it, but nonetheless I wanted to go........... Here's an article fromt the Wheels Through Time site.

Wheels Through Time is Shifting Gears
        Wheels Through Time would like to extend its deepest gratitude to the beautiful mountain region of Western North Carolina that has given it the opportunity to flourish as an international center for transportation culture and history. During its tenure in Western North Carolina, the museum has become a central hub for information and interpretation of the cultural significance of the American Motorcycle, from the earliest days of the 20th century to the modern motorcycle enthusiast of today. We thank all that have assisted Wheels Through Time in fulfilling its mission to educate and inspire a diverse, multi-generational audience as to the history of American Transportation.

In less than six years, Wheels Through Time has become a benchmark of American cultural history, hosting over 280,000 visitors from over 140 countries and all 50 states. The museum has been featured in countless national and international publications, as well as on national television on over 30 occasions. Through its high regard for hostmanship, its world-wide marketing efforts, and its world-class presentation of America’s rarest transportation artifacts, Wheels Through Time will leave an impact on Western North Carolina that will be felt for years to come.

As new objectives lie on the horizon, it has been decided that Wheels Through Time will be relocating out of North Carolina. Current plans to revolutionize the museum and its programs are under way, and we look forward to sharing this progress with the world.

Wheels Through Time has been proud to be a part of Western North Carolina’s tourism industry, and is honored to have served the great population of WNC as one of its most historical attractions.
        Cory Othen
        Membership#10953

Comment

I have visited maggie valley and the museum many times. Knoxville TN. is home so i'm a little over one hour away. The truth is Maggie Valley has NEVER been a "biker freindly" place. I can recall as far back as 1983 a bike ralley was held there. Needless to say the locals did not give thier blessing. The rally was moved the next year to Cherokee where it has remained ever since. I was surprised to learn that H.O.G. is having an event there in September. I'm betting this will also be a first and last.
          I hope Dale is watching this board. Move to Seiver Co. TN. You've got The National Park, Gatlingburg, Piegon Forge, Townsend, all geared toward tourism. More people come to this area in a weekend probably than in a month for Maggie Valley.

Comment

Originally posted by Barry Brown View Post
            . . . aging enthusiast demographic.
            Hey! I represent that!!
            Bill Gilbert in Oregon

Comment

Three years ago my wife and I drove all the way down to Dale's musuem specifically to see The Wheels thru time. I live in Manitoba Canada, not a short drive. I've been to BOTH Birmingham museums and many others throughout America and Europe and Wheels thru Time is my favourite. When we were there Dale fired up many of his machines and rode around the museum, quite a sight and a real thrill. I have sent a direct and very terse email to the Chamber of Commerce letting them know my feelings. I hope others will too. My deepest hope is that the amazing collection will stay intact. A canadian songwriter once wrote, "Don't it always seem to go, that you don't know what you got till it's gone"
              Last edited by Ross; 03-09-2008, 10:21 PM.
              Ross

Comment

In actuality, Maggie Valley does not have much at all going on (not that it ever had a heyday). For many years I and many others attended an annual car show there but that has also relocated. When the Blue Ridge Chapter had their National Road Run there several years ago I am certain that those who attended pumped a great many dollars into the local economy and I have talked to many who have gone there just to see the museum.

When we (six of us) were there in this past Fall, when I talked to the locals many of whom asked if we were there to see the Fall leaf colors we of course told them we were. But we also told them what made us come to that part of N.C. as opposed to the Asheville area and parts east was the museum. The local shop owners all highly praised Dale and the museum, knowing that it is a draw that enhances tourism. It is ironic that the entity (Haywood County Tourism Development Authority) tasked with making tourism grow was so ambivalent and seemingly callous in their treatment of such a positive addition to their tourism base.

I was chairperson of a local downtown development board and we would have absolutely been thrilled to have the Wheels Through Time museum express even the slightest interest in our community! We would have gone all out to entice such a world-class museum!

However, as someone has noted, unless these museums (and there are a lot, though smaller, scattered around the world) are put into a trust, their collections of antiques will always at some point be disbanded and scattered. Though these are often 501(c)3 non-profits with the most dedicated of collectors, once the "owner" dies the collections are often sold (witness Harrah and Chandler). So if you have a local museum that you have not gotten around to visiting, do it while you can. And make sure the persons in authority (like your local government and tourism boards) are constantly made aware of the enjoyment your received from your visit and the purpose of your trip to their community. Personally, I feel that perhaps I should have communicated my joy in the WTT museum to the tourism promoters and maybe if others had done the same the HCTDA would not have been so blind to Dale's contribution to the community. Let's not all make the same mistake elsewhere.

Lonne C from SC
                Lonnie Campbell #9908
                South Cackalackey, U.S. of A.

Come see us at the Tenth Annual AMCA Southern National Meet - May 17-19, 2019 at Denton FarmPark, Denton, N.C.

Visit the website for vendor and visitor information at www.amcasouthernnationalmeet.com

Comment

I have been to Dales museum and thought is was about the only good thing to see in Maggie Valley ,....what problems are they giving him to make him leave??

Comment

Originally posted by cscott View Post
                    I have been to Dales museum and thought is was about the only good thing to see in Maggie Valley ,....what problems are they giving him to make him leave??
                    Read the article that silentgreyfellow posted. It seems pretty clear why he's having problems in Maggie Valley.
                    Cory Othen
                    Membership#10953

Comment

It reads to me that Dale just wants out of Maggie Valley. There are millions of beautiful places in America and all of them would be a nice place for a museum. If you want more visitors (i.e. money) then just put the museum in L.A. Chicago, NYC, or Orlando. Of coarse then you're stuck living in one of those s++t holes. I think there are other issues here that aren't being mentioned and probably aren't any of our business.
                      Eric Smith
                      AMCA #886

Comment

I was lucky enough to spend several hours with Dale and Matt yesterday. Here's what they told me:

They will have an auctuion the last weekend of September. Matt told me the auction company, but it escapes me. They will keep about 100 of the bikes, and all the cars.

They are looking at buying property "out West". Mat said he's found several promising tracts in the Colorado Springs/Pueblo area, but they've not nailed down anything as yet.

The Time Machine will continue, in that Dale will loan bikes to various museums and work as curator to help set up displays and get local machines into existing museums around the country, perhaps the world.

So, if this last bit comes to fruition, the Wheels Through Time may exist all over the country, and bring out many fime machines that currently are lurking under wraps.
                        Rick Pope, aka rickeieio

Comment

Working...
                        X