No announcement yet.

Reversing brake on Big Twin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I see now, in the photo of the complete installation on the right side of the hub is the part that nests into the drum - I thought that was the dust cover normally held on with the two small screws. So, yes, this adapter should be just what the doctor ordered. Using the later mid-star hub with its Timken bearings would be strong than the earlier hub.

Re the frame, in my case I'll weld in a factory brake stay so I had not invested a lot of thought into alternatives. Prior to that I had thought about making a plate with a factory-like brake stay section that would have accept U-bolts that would clamp around both the upper and lower leg.

As a sidenote, I had to redo the top motor mount on a '50 powdercoated frame and touched up the area with model car paint - it was thick enough to blend in and was as glossy as the powdercoat. It took several coats. I've also used the black liquid plastic-like substance that you can buy to insulate wires, comes in a small can.

Interestingly, there is no sprocket in the photo. Do you suppose they used a regular '73-up style sprocket?

Did you by chance find two adapters????? Or can one be made by reverse-engineering the adaptor in-hand? If so, I'll put in an order!!

Lonnie C from SC
    Lonnie Campbell #9908
    South Cackalackey, U.S. of A.

Come see us at the Tenth Annual AMCA Southern National Meet - May 17-19, 2019 at Denton FarmPark, Denton, N.C.

Visit the website for vendor and visitor information at www.amcasouthernnationalmeet.com

Comment

Ah, received the reproduction brake stay from Lonnie Isam (super first name, by the way) and it looks good!. It will have to be modified since the angles of the upper and lower tubes going into the rear axle plate are not equal. But cut off a little here on this side, add a little there on that side and before you know it.........!!! I've still got to weld all the backing plate parts back together but need to wait until I've got everything all lined up.

Remember the kiddie song, "Hokey Pokey"? That's what this is turning into.

This will come to pass! I'll put up some photos when this part is done, here and on my blog.

Lonnie C from SC
      Lonnie Campbell #9908
      South Cackalackey, U.S. of A.

Come see us at the Tenth Annual AMCA Southern National Meet - May 17-19, 2019 at Denton FarmPark, Denton, N.C.

Visit the website for vendor and visitor information at www.amcasouthernnationalmeet.com

Comment

Working...
      X