Is this for real?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this for real?

Not vintage motorcycle related, but interesting.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1st-L...em200194907009

Steve,

Yeah, I remember the dealerships selling those things a while back. My local HOG chapter was going to auction one off, but there wasn't much interest in it so it never happened. Don't remember what they were selling for back then, but I don't think it was quite that much!!

Mike

Comment

I guess I just don't get to the H/D dealerships often enough to remember this beast ever being for sale. So they actually where selling bicycles at the dealerships? Wow..
      Maybe the doctors are correct about that short term memory thing after all.
      Hey... You going to make the Penn/Ohio this year? There is going to be alot of local guys getting together and having a few tables of un-needed parts. Sorry, no 1940WL cases for ya from any of the local guys but with the bigger building I'm expecting to cleanup some of my shopping list for this winter. -Steve

Comment

Steve,

Yeah, back in the day I hung out at the local dealership a lot more than I do these days. I guess I'm just more interested in the older stuff now.

As far as Penn/Ohio goes, I will absolutely be there! We'll have to figure out some place to meet and chew the fat for a bit, I've never been to the new location before. Gotta get ahold of Paps too. Hey, you never know what you're going to find, I'm hoping to scratch a few things off my list too!

Mike

Comment

If you watch e-bay, the odd original early one shows up. They weren't made very long. I think it was '17 to '22. They usually go for quite a bit. Looks like they tried to do another re-enactment and it didn't turn out too well. What with those oh so tempting shiney Hogs on the show room floor...........no thanks!!

Comment

Reserve

Oh well, I guess the $1,500 reserve was just a little too steep for this bicycle! Maybe if it had really been a specimin from '17 to '21 it may have been worth a chunk of change. But that's a bit steep for a 1997.

Comment

Harley Bicycle

The "new" ones were actually made in 1998. They retailed for $2499 This is from:

http://justbicycles.com/bike

lakecounrtydave

Then there is this article about the GT bicycle that dates to 1998.

LONGMONT, Colo.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Nov. 24, 1998--In celebration of Harley-Davidson's 95th Anniversary, GT Bicycles has created a limited edition bicycle, the Velo Glide Ultra.

Production of the Harley-Davidson(R) Velo Glide Ultra is limited to just 1,000 bicycles. Delivery for the holiday season is in progress.

Under license from Harley-Davidson, GT Bicycles works closely with designers at the motorcycle company. Capturing the heritage and spirit of Harley-Davidson in a bicycle is quite a challenge, said Susan McPherson, Senior Manager, General Merchandise. The Velo Glide Ultra succeeds in every respect. Inspired by Harley-Davidson's legendary Softail Custom motorcycle, the Velo Glide Ultra blends 1950's beach cruiser aesthetics with state-of-the-art bicycle technology. Near scale-model fenders and a mock gas tank are accentuated by classic Harley-Davidson components. Included on that list is a laser-etched air cleaner cover, a fired cloisonne medallion set into the gas tank and handlebar grips made of chrome and rubber. Stock equipment also includes Fat Boy-style saddlebags.

Though the Velo Glide Ultra appears to be a throwback to an earlier era, the technology of its components suggests it is indeed a product of its time. Shimano Nexus Flip-Fire shifters trigger a 7-speed drivetrain housed in the rear hub that is virtually maintenance-free. Contributing to the ultra-plush ride is a Rock Shox Jett suspension fork. Reliable braking is provided by Shimano Inter-M Roller Brakes, front and back. The seamless blending of contemporary technology and timeless design is a hallmark of Harley-Davidson, said McPherson. The Velo Glide Ultra meets that standard.

As the Velo Glide Ultra is a true limited edition, each of the 1,000 bicycles is assigned its own edition number and delivered with a certificate of authenticity. The head badge ornament will be retired upon completion of the production run. So, too, will the custom turquoise-and-cream paint scheme that is accented by red and gold hand-pinstriping.

The Harley-Davidson Velo Glide Ultra has a suggested domestic retail price of $2,499 and is available at Harley-Davidson motorcycle dealers and authorized GT Bicycles dealers.

Comment

Working...
              X