Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HD Restoration Book

G'day everyone.
    Some time ago (probably close to a year ago) the list discussed a HD restoration book (I think dealing with pre 1941 machines).
    The consensus was that everyone should own a copy as it was very useful for other makes as well re the restoration process.
    Does anyone remember the book title?
    Thanks in advance.

Ken.

Ken,

Was it this: http://www.vintagemotorcycleworks.com/manual.htm

Mike

Comment

"How to restore your Harley Davidson" By Bruce Palmer III ?

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_gw...dson&x=18&y=14

Comment

G'day Mike and John.
        Mike wins the prize. Thanks mate. Now to get my wife to purchase a copy for my birthday!
        Best wishes fellas.

Ken

Comment

Ken,

The only reason I thought that was the book you were asking about is because I've been saving for a copy myself. I've seen people on several different forums praise this book. I'm building a '40 WL myself and there is not much info out there pertaining to the two-bolt transmission and clutch, etc. I have heard time and again that this book is definitely worth the investment. Tell your wife Mike said it's OK, maybe that will be the little push you need to get her to buy it for you

Mike

Comment

Here's one that's been previously eye-balled..........but not to much time left.............There's a few more floating around on e-bay too by the looks of it.

http://cgi.ebay.com/How-to-Restore-Y...QQcmdZViewItem

Comment

Hey Ken, I have a good used spare I'll part with if your interested. It's in fair condition but it's cheap and that might help convince your accountant to "invest in your education". Good luck!

TR

Comment

Hey Ken,

Better talk to TR, if you're not interested I certainly am!

Mike

Comment

G'day TR and Mike.
                  TR, thanks for the offer. I'm in Australia though mate, so if you were willing to send O/S, then I'll take it. I can pay via Paypal if that's ok. If not (and I understand the nuisance of overseas transactions) then Mike's your man. Mike, I told my wife you said it was fine, and she said that I should listen to you!
                  Thanks fellas, and best wishes.

Ken.

Comment

Let me check on postage for you and get back to you on that. I have no problems shipping to AU or paypal. If things don't work out then I guess Mike is next in line!

TR

Comment

Ken,

Good luck, hope this all goes through for you. Let me know how you like the book, I'll go back to saving my pennies!

Mike

Comment

Ken--Johnny's book is worth every penny of the price. I can honestly say he put his heart, soul, and a considerable amount of time and money into it. Last time I talked to him, he was not even close to breaking even!!!!!!

Comment

I have been trying to find a copy of Mr. Palmer's, Military 45 edition. Copies are out-of-sight expensive.
                          Every once in awhile one shows up through Amazon.com at $130+. But, I can't jump that high.

On another note, before the holidays, I finished reading Fred Haefele's "Rebuilding the Indian."
                          There's no technical information, here, just a decent read about chasing parts through a restoration.
                          If anybody's interested, I'll send the copy I bought on ebaY, it's good for grins, at the very least

Comment

There's a copy of the Military book on e-bay right now. But it's sitting at a $220 opening bid. Ouch!! Rebuilding The Indian is a book I wouldn't mind reading. Maybe it could be a book that gets passed around the forum. It would be interesting to know all the places it ends up at.........

Comment

Bruce Palmer was smart to mine old John Nowak's memory for information for his books.

I remember visiting John in the 90s and he made a fuss about Palmer calling him: "He calls me up every Saturday and won't hang up!" but I could tell in spite of his protests that John was actually very pleased and flattered to be remembered in that manner.

Palmer deserves a MEDAL for saving information that otherwise would have been lost like so much of our REAL and TRUE American motorcycle history has been lost or otherwise not recorded.

Guys who attempt to get the REAL FACTS are my heroes!

Comment

Working...
                              X